Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009

AndrewMac is on a distinguished road
I went up and checked out NY Sailing Center in September. Liked it a lot actually. Can't remember the guys name who runs it (Steve maybe?) Anyway, he seemed great - enthusiatic and knowledgable. Mooring field looked reasonably well sheltered. Main drawback for me is the schlep - can't handle the traffic (at least you can read on the train). I'm in Carroll Gardens and office is at 46th & Park (next to Grand Central), so metro north to Mamaroneck or LIRR from Flatbush to Glen Cove/Hempstead area probably makes the most sense for me. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMac View Post
I'm in Carroll Gardens and office is at 46th & Park (next to Grand Central), so metro north to Mamaroneck or LIRR from Flatbush to Glen Cove/Hempstead area probably makes the most sense for me. Thanks for the ideas guys.
I know a few people who do the NYC to Mamaroneck thing, and it seems to work for them. You can get a slip at the Brewer's there, or you can try to get a town mooring and keep a tender at the town dock. I believe there is a waiting list for a mooring. Brewer's is not cheap, but if it were me, and if it were economically feasible, I would do the slip if you're coming up from the city. It would be a nice convenience to leave the boat plugged in, have the fridge cold, and all you need to do is show up on Friday night after a 30 minute train ride and crash on the boat before taking off for a weekend sail. And everything you'll need is walking distance from both the train and the boat. it's a nice setup. If there were easier transient dockage/mooring/anchorage, I firmly believe Mamaroneck would be a very popular transient destination. But then again, I'm biased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2010

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brob76 View Post
$800 is very reasonable for a mooring/launch service. The yacht clubs in Sheepshead I checked with were in the range of $3K/yr. Thought that was quite excessive since all I need is a mooring/dink launch. Thanks for checking...I'm going to look into that.
Miramar YC in Sheepshead Bay is less than $2k/yr., or less if you are young enough. Nice club, good people. Sheepshead Bay YC is right next door and a bit more expensive, I believe.

As for the discussion of pros and cons of Western LIS, I'd say the comments about lack of wind are understated. I finally got fed up with the total lack of wind on most days and just stopped sailing... that's how bad it is. If you love to sail, you simply have to get out of Western LIS in the summer, it's that simple. You have to either get on the other side of Queens and Nassau County to the south, or at least as far as New Haven to the east on Long Island Sound.

If you are a racer, forget Western LIS, because you will be racing either in frustratingly light and fickle winds, the occasional northwester once or twice a season, or not at all. If you are a cruiser with only weekends available, it's just as bad because you can't get far enough on weekends to get to the wind.
Old 07-21-2011

Capt Porkchop is on a distinguished road
NY Sailing Center is nice. The guy who runs it is Steve. Very knowledgeable. I'm in the process of purchasing, and have been seriously considering NYSC. Never thought about Port Wash if Mamaroneck, but they sound interesting as well. Dilemma?
Old 07-21-2011

Capt Porkchop is on a distinguished road
NY Sailing Center

I almost forgot. NYSC on the east side of City Island is attractive for moorings due to the fact that no motoring is needed. You literally raise the jib and your off your mooring. Plenty of room to maneuver straight into the Sound. FYI
Old 05-04-2012

fsp421 is on a distinguished road
Re: NYC Area Mooring

I work on 47th and Park and also live in Brooklyn.

We joined North Shore Yacht Club in PortvWashington and have found it to be a quick trip to the boat( timed right) and club location is quick out to Sound

Sugar Magnolia