Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Charlie,

I was about to echo Fast's caution re the pullman. The Womboat's forward berth is about the same proportions as yours. I would have liked to rebuild it to a pullman but when I laid it out in situ there was no way it was going to work unless we raised the sleeping platform by around 12" which so reduced the headroom as to make it impractical.

That said I agree wholeheartedly with wanting to get away from a v-berth. I am finding that as the old joints start to seize up that doing the v-berth shuffle is becoming somewhat difficult.

cheers mate

Andrew

My preliminary measurements show it will work if using an extension design. That way we still have a bit of access to Starboard of the berth when it's in. The settee may be a slightly lower height then normal to allow the berth to slide over it when opened but I can adjust the vanity height to compensate. It's still in the design phase so it may or may not happen. We can both live with the V-berth the way it is if necessary. I just thought to make it nicer for Fredia, a little more feminine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Charlie,

Good stuff. I like your ideas (although I share the pullman concerns above -- hope you can sort that out. It looks like you might have some headroom and hull flare to work with.)

I especially like the idea of loosing the outboard pilot berth -- they'll make great locker/shelf space.

On the shower, if you don't have room to install a catch pan in the head, you could add a simple drain to a shower sump down in the forward bilge area. It would have a small dedicated bilge pump/float switch that would automatically discharge the grey water overboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsailor View Post
Having totally rebuilt several wooden boats including a 1926 Crosby Catboat and more in line with yours, a 1954 S&S 42 Yawl, I understand all the work that is going into your boat. I have been following it closely from the beginning and really admire what you have done so far with her. One thought while your re-doing the interior might be thinking about allowing a place for somthing like an old Luke soapstone fireplace or even a newer type heater /fireplace. Both for warmth and the unbeatablle amabiance afire makes. BTW, I really like the pullman idea. Nice going Rick
I've been looking at heaters and really haven't decided on one yet. I do like the newer Newport Propane units though. They fit in a small space nicely and have a bit of fireplace feel to them. Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Charlie,

Good stuff. I like your ideas (although I share the pullman concerns above -- hope you can sort that out. It looks like you might have some headroom and hull flare to work with.)

I especially like the idea of loosing the outboard pilot berth -- they'll make great locker/shelf space.

On the shower, if you don't have room to install a catch pan in the head, you could add a simple drain to a shower sump down in the forward bilge area. It would have a small dedicated bilge pump/float switch that would automatically discharge the grey water overboard.

Thanks for the shower ideas John. I'm still kicking it around. Me? Hell, I'd just shower out in the cockpit but the missus ain't into that...

Old 12-10-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I've been looking at heaters and really haven't decided on one yet. I do like the newer Newport Propane units though. They fit in a small space nicely and have a bit of fireplace feel to them. Thanks.
Lurve dem Newports. Want to move to a colder climate just so I can have one....

Had thought to have one anyway but when you live in a climate where even in mid winter a simple oil lamp (courtesy of the Stillmeister) quite adequately takes the chill away its hard to justify.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-11-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
We have a Luke soapstone. Works great. I'd recommend it. Put a granite slab underneath though.
Old 12-11-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Luke Fireplace

Cormeum,
I love those old S&S designs in wood. Is your boat Luke Built? If I could find an old Luke soapstone fireplace, I would rebuild my boats interior just to find a place to instal it. I think they are really lovely to look at , and a great way to add some extra heat in those cold winter days.
Old 12-11-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Is it snowing up that way yet Charlie? BIG cloud line looking north when I was driving north on the viaduct a bit ago back home to edmonds.
Old 12-11-2009
On the hard

We had some light flurries at dawn but nothing since. If it snows, we'll get some...

Old 12-11-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsailor View Post
Cormeum,
I love those old S&S designs in wood. Is your boat Luke Built? If I could find an old Luke soapstone fireplace, I would rebuild my boats interior just to find a place to instal it. I think they are really lovely to look at , and a great way to add some extra heat in those cold winter days.
Thanks midnight, ours was built at Derecktor's. We do have a Luke stove and the fireplace.The fireplace was original equipment and we replaced the alcohol Luke stove with one in LPG.
They are still making the same ones:
Paul E. Luke, Inc.