Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Planned interior upgrades for Oh Joy

We have plans for making this old girl a little homier as we restore her. We plan to do some extended cruising once we get her back in the water but I have to make some changes to keep the Admiral happy. The following is a drawing of the proposed changes:

As you can see, the bottom drawing is the original configuration. I am adding or changing the following:

The forward berth will be converted to a pull out pullman berth that will be 30" closed and 42" open. There will be a settee with vanity and hanging locker as well.

The main cabin settee's will stay the same with the Starboard one extending into a double berth as designed.

The galley will be essentially the same with the exception of Corian counter tops and the addition of countertop extensions that hook on the Galley half bulkheads with fold down legs which will fit into sockets on the settee base boxes. These will fold and store in pockets above the refrigeration. There will also be pressure water to go with the manual and a new SS sink.

The cabinetry to Port will basically stay the same with the exception that the power panel will be relocated in it's aft cabinet space from under the companionway. I positively HATE wet electrical panels...

The pilot berth to Starboard is going away to be replaced by cabinetry which holds the refrigeration and the fold down chart table as well as electronics. The standard berths have lee boards and are fine as sea berths. I can't even fit into the pilot berth so it becomes a catch-all for loose flotsam in the house.

The hanging locker is being extended to a double as I sacrifice the existing shelves there which are just catch-all's as well. The head will stay about the same except it may have a shower, if I can figure out how to catch and drain the run-off. If not....

The entire interior is being replaced with new marine plywood including the bulkheads. The paint and varnish scheme will remain as original in the Herreshoff fashion.

Take a close look and comment if something catches your eye or concerns you.

Thanks for looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
We just made a removable inset to fill in the forward vee. That way they're sea berths for under way for the kids and mom and dad's "funhouse" at anchor.

(There's a door between the forward cabin and the saloon)
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Oh, as an afterthought, I figured to add a couple of pics of the current interior.

Port cabinetry:

Forward Cabin:

Aft Cabin:

Head:

V-Berth:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I like the traditional look of the cabin. Try to keep it looking like that!
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

For the most part it will still look traditional.

Old 12-10-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Very nice and thanks for the pictures. Dan
Old 12-10-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Looks like some good ideas, CC....

The one comment I'd have (and you've probably thought this through already) is to be sure that the plan views shown actually reconcile with the hull sections, especially forward. It's easy to lay out some new features like your pullman and the settee only to discover that at the height they really end up being the hull is narrower already and skews your plans -

for example your pullman and settee fwd are shown extending to the deck edge, essentially, whereas the hull is really only that wide at the deck height... see what I mean? in reality they may be pushed towards centerline, and end up being smaller than shown....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-10-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
nice layout

Having totally rebuilt several wooden boats including a 1926 Crosby Catboat and more in line with yours, a 1954 S&S 42 Yawl, I understand all the work that is going into your boat. I have been following it closely from the beginning and really admire what you have done so far with her. One thought while your re-doing the interior might be thinking about allowing a place for somthing like an old Luke soapstone fireplace or even a newer type heater /fireplace. Both for warmth and the unbeatablle amabiance afire makes. BTW, I really like the pullman idea. Nice going Rick
Old 12-10-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Charlie,

I was about to echo Fast's caution re the pullman. The Womboat's forward berth is about the same proportions as yours. I would have liked to rebuild it to a pullman but when I laid it out in situ there was no way it was going to work unless we raised the sleeping platform by around 12" which so reduced the headroom as to make it impractical.

That said I agree wholeheartedly with wanting to get away from a v-berth. I am finding that as the old joints start to seize up that doing the v-berth shuffle is becoming somewhat difficult.

cheers mate

Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-10-2009
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Looks like some good ideas, CC....

The one comment I'd have (and you've probably thought this through already) is to be sure that the plan views shown actually reconcile with the hull sections, especially forward. It's easy to lay out some new features like your pullman and the settee only to discover that at the height they really end up being the hull is narrower already and skews your plans -

for example your pullman and settee fwd are shown extending to the deck edge, essentially, whereas the hull is really only that wide at the deck height... see what I mean? in reality they may be pushed towards centerline, and end up being smaller than shown....
Yeah, that area's a bear to design. Lot's of measuring and re-measuring before finalization. The tough part will be tucking the slide boards under up forward. At least I have existing slide (berth extension) systems to copy as both the Starboard and Pilot berths are extension berths. The settee and vanity will be easy on the Starboard side as will be the hanging locker. I'll simply replicate the existing locker forward of the bulkhead. The sole trim will be an interesting bit to fabricate though...