Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Made it from the Hamptons to the Magothy.

Got a 25' Ericson from the Hamptons to the Magothy. Got in yesterday at around 8pm and while very tired I seem to have made it ok. The weather was for the most part was very kind to us. Thanks Zack for setting out with me on Sat. night getting into Smith Pt. Only motored into and out of the marinas for the most part. Did motor a bit on the last little leg from the bay bridge into the Magothy River. So from 4am Sat. until Mon at 8pm ish. Minus the 12 hour layover to drop off Zack. Did the trip in about 49 hours. About 64 total hours. Over 130 km. as the crow flies but everyone knows that a sailboat hates the way a crow flies. I bet I could go from the Hamptons to Annapolis in less than 40 hours on my boat right now no problem I just need an autopilot, LOL Thanks all for the information. I could upload some pictures if anyone wanted them. and a somewhat trip log????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Congrats Dan. I definitely want to hear about the trip. You've got more balls than I do. But I still don't think the trip was a good idea.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decison
Old 12-15-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Pics dude! You're out livin' the life while we're sitting here posting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-15-2009

This is what can happen to your sail if can't roll it up in about a 25-30 wind with gust 35. The jib is toast now

[IMG]A good jib in well to strong of wind[/IMG]
Old 12-15-2009

I had the main reefed!
Old 12-15-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Pics dude! You're out livin' the life while we're sitting here posting!
While I'm happy that Dan made it home safely, I don't think that his voyage is something that that should be encouraged. IMHO taking a small boat on a long journey in December with novice crew is a reckless endeavor.

But I still congratulate you Dan!

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

Last edited by NautiG; 12-15-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2009

Got in yesterday at around 8pm and while very tired I seem to have made it ok. The weather was for the most part very kind to us. Only motored into and out of the marinas for the most part. Did motor a bit on the last little leg from the bay bridge into the Magothy River. So from 4am Sat. until Mon at 8pm ish. Minus the 12 hour layover to drop off Zack. Did the trip in about 49 hours. About 64 total hours. Over 130 km. as the crow flies but everyone knows that a sailboat hates the way a crow flies.  I bet I could go from the Hamptons to Annapolis in less than 40 hours on my boat right now no problem I just need an autopilot. 12 am Ė 4 am Sat. doing a boat/crew assessment. Crew green boat will make it if careful. Loaded a jib onto the roller furling with some issues. Pulled out of marina at 4:10 am on Sat. Set sails heading North at 4:25 with a NW wind 5-10 mph seas 1-2. Turned tiller over to Zack at around 8pm making good time north. Slept for 1 hour. John and zack doing great. Thinking that maybe Zack has sailed a few time Crew might not be as green as I thought. All is good. At around 12pm Sat the winds start to die off. I get a few more hours of sleep. Wake up having done 18 miles in the wrong direction. LOL. Get us going again with a good breeze out of the North 10-15 at around 5pm. Get 2 hours sleep knowing itís going to be a long night at the tiller. From 8pm until 7am I get in about 8 hours on the tiller. Seas and winds are good. Seas 2-3 Winds 10-15. At around 2 am I start the trip into Smith Point with Zack in the cockpit helping to keep an eye out on the shipping. There is a lot of traffic out in this part of the bay. All the traffic going North and South gets constricted into two lanes of travel. Smith point is on the NE part point on VA right at the mouth of the Potomac. We were bucking the tide with some 2-3 swells, wind 10-20. I start the outboard a bit far out but felt it better to be in control with all the shipping and shoals. It gets to less than 4í pretty far out. Get in Smith pt. break wall set anchor until the morning. Wake up to the winds blowing good at around 20-25 with 30 gust+rain. Decide to sleep it out. Wake up and get going at around 3pm with the weather calming down. Get into Smith point marina, which is very tricky. There are 3 green markers within about a 70í of each other with the last one about 30í off the bank. Got stuck on a low tide about 50 yards from the marina. Once in Smith Point marina found out that itís a really nice place just donít try it on a low tide. Got Zack to the marina. Wave him off and head out at around 8pm on a high tide. Get out into the bay with 20-25 wind and visibility down to less than a ľ mile. Reef the main. The Jib gets ripped all up and John learns what itís like for a sail to kick his ass while on the bow of a small boat in less than ideal conditions. After the fog lifts we really get going with a good south wind 15-20. 9 am I sleep for 3 hours. Get to the Magothy at around 9 pm on Mon. Lessons learned 1 Never leave port with a roller furling that doesnít furl all the way. Gps are only good for night sailing in tight areas and if there is a lot of fog. 4 cups of coffee and Tuna+soup taste a lot better going down. If someone tells you they donít know something try to explain it to them very slow. Always try and smile and donít yell unless you are about to die. The Ericson 25í is a very fast boat. I really enjoyed sailing it. Oh donít decide to stop smoking on a trip like this. I have gone from 2 packs a day of cigs. Down to one cig in 4 days. Cheers Dan
Old 12-15-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Great write up Garf. The coffee and tuna soup combo sounds a little nasty - especially when recycled.

Good lessons learned.

Old 12-15-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Dan,

Glad you and vessel and crew are home safe and sound!!

You're a better man than I ..Charlie Brown!
Old 12-15-2009
Last Man Standing

Congrats to John (Bicyclesailor) and Zach (?) too!

Is Zach a SiNcitier?