Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Jack,

So when you go around you go to the left?
Hi Ray

Yes counter-clockwise with Vancouver island to port. The prevailing wind is NW, that gives a downwind ride on the outside. Also, because of river outflows and snow melt Johnstone Strait tends to ebb. On the other hand, the NW wind makes Johnstone a beat.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Hot springs cove shouldn't be missed.
Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Hot springs cove shouldn't be missed.
Absolutely. On one trip we had to wait out gale there for two days. Life is tough.
Old 12-16-2009

dillybar is on a distinguished road
Thanks all,
This kind of first hand info is priceless. Jack, what's your experience been with fog on the out side??

cheers,

James
Old 12-16-2009

The only fog I have encountered on the outside was in June in Winter Harbour. Nothing offshore.

I have seen fog in Sept in Goletas Channel.
Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillybar View Post
Thanks all,
This kind of first hand info is priceless. Jack, what's your experience been with fog on the out side??

cheers,

James
I had to make correction to my original post. Nothing fatal.
Old 12-16-2009
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
In addition to charts and or chartbooks, a books like "Charlies Charts" is invaluable for the area. We used "charlies charts" when going up to the Queen charlottes and it paid for itself many MANY times, especially in the high current areas such as Dent Rapids. It has hand sketched charts of the rapids telling you where is safer as well as when (flood or ebb) etc.

Radar for the outside is somewhere between "really nice to have" and "essential". Been in fog on the outside where I could barely make out the end of the boat.

Shore tying is't that difficult. After a couple of times you'll have the hang of it.

Most important of all, make sure to hit all the high current areas on time and you should be fine. If it's named "rapids" on the chart "DO NOT" go through it more than 45min outside of slack.

Medsailor

PS. Yes, hot springs cove should not be missed. Bathing suit is the norm during the day (lots of day tour boats), but not at night.
Old 12-16-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Just a note about the Canadian tide and current tables. The times are NOT corrected for daylight savings time. There's always a bunch of boats on the radio going through the various rapids an hour early

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Just a note about the Canadian tide and current tables. The times are NOT corrected for daylight savings time. There's always a bunch of boats on the radio going through the various rapids an hour early
One of the first things we teach our students in a coastal nav class is to add an hour during daylight savings. The tables clearly show PST (or HNP for the Francophones).

Also remember to use table 4 to get the corrections for secondary current stations.
Old 12-17-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Well, this sounds like a great adventure you'll have.

Quite a bit has been said here and all very good info. Jack covered the rapids east of Campbell River and around the outside of the island as well as others, so I'll just touch on Seymour Narrows and a little more about Johnstone Strait.

Tackling Seymour Narrows from the south:
If you see a tug, watch him, he always knows the best currents and back-eddys. In any case, round Cape Mudge about an hour and a half before slack at Seymour Narrows and hug the east side to catch the strong back eddy that will push you up past the Native village on Quadra Island and past the Govt dock. Then pull back out into Discovery Passage and head for Race Point. If your staying in Campbell River or Quathiaski Cove, then leave an hour before slack but in any case, keep an eye on the wind over the current to find the rest of the back eddy's to help you along. The current wanders quite a bit when you get past Race Point but generally once you round Race Point leaving a wide birth, (you'll begin to see wirlpools here) head for the Maud Island light and enter the Narrows keeping to the east side. You will likely see lot's of tugs/tows, cruise ships, fishboats etc. which will be going faster than you so dual watch 16 and 71(traffic) if you can or at least stay on 16. It's not a big deal going through here but you should time it properly so you hit Seymour near a change to ebb to push you north. Having said that, sometimes there is relatively little traffic and I have gone through under full sail with no problem.

Johnstone Strait:
The weather can pipe up pretty good here and it can change instantly anywhere along the strait, so you may want to listen to W1 closely. The mountains along Johnstone Strait create a funnel effect and with this against the tide, particularly around Kelsey Bay it can be steep seas. If it's heavy westerlies and big seas giving you little headway and an uncomfortable ride, you can take Nodales Channel or go up through Blind Channel and zip zag up the back way and come out Sunderland Channel you'll likely save fuel and time by doing this. Robson Bight just before Port McNeil is a great place to see whales but you should see lots along the way anyway, so make sure you have your glasses out. You could grub up in Port McNeil because you can walk to the large grocery store, if you wait for Port Hardy, you'll need to take a cab.

Alert Bay is an excellent rustic stop with a real nice museum with a large collection of ancient native masks and such. Alert Bay has quite a history and was once a very large fishing community. You can anchor in the bay or use the Govt dock. Sointula is also a must see, you can anchor in Rough Bay with good holding but remember, it's called rough bay for a reason. Sointula has quite a history to it, very interesting and it has a museum that must be seen for sure. You can fuel up in Port Hardy and head for Bull Harbour to wait for the right time to cross Nahwitti Bar.
Here's a good read for crossing Nahwitti Bar.
http://efiddler.com/junecameron/pdf/Nahwitti%20Bar.pdf
I haven't gone around the outside but the others here seem to have that well covered.
Another good read - Around the Island
Around Vancouver Island: A story about circumnavigating Vancouver Island, British Columbia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 12-17-2009 at 04:22 PM.