SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Help: Sea Shanties (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/60580-help-sea-shanties.html)

Kernix 12-16-2009 09:05 AM

Help: Sea Shanties

Hoping someone can help me here. I play guitar and a few years back I found an awesome site that had dozens, if not 100's, of traditional sea songs. This site had not only the lyrics but sheet music as well. I want to start working on some of the songs to see if there are really good ones to cover.

Does anyone know the site I'm talking about? I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone know a musician\sailor who is not a member of this forum but might know of the site.

Help greatly appreciated.

Jim

JohnRPollard 12-16-2009 09:27 AM

Jim,

I can't help you with the sheet music.

But one of my favorite sea-shanty performers is a guy named Jerry Bryant. He has a great compilation of traditional sea-shanties that are intended as an accompaniment to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series (e.g. Master and Commander, etc). It's called "Roast Beef of Old England".

Though not traditional per se, he also has an outstanding compilation of original sea-ballads, called "The Ballad of Harbo and Samuelson".

Both of these are truly outstanding examples of sea-shanties and sea-ballads. I'd recommend them to anyone for listening or performing.

RanAweigh 12-16-2009 12:12 PM

Try these URL's
Mostly just lyrics:
Sea Shanty Lyrics, Sea Shanties Lyrics, Shanty Sheet Music- The Sea Shanty .net
Shanties and Sea Songs
ARRR!!! - Sea Shanties and Drinking Songs

Some Here w/ music:
Tab

and here:
Yet Another Digital Tradition Page

Kernix 12-19-2009 11:55 AM

Thanks - but I already found those - no ssheet music, only lyics.

jim

Jasper Windvane 12-19-2009 12:00 PM

I know a good sea shanty . play it is C, or D, or A.. use a drum..

Ho Ho Ho... I'm sitting in my shanty, with a bottle of cheap wine.
Its very cold outside, and I can't find my slippers;

I once had a cat.

My boat is covered by snow.

Put up the sails .. you old Ho.

CaptainForce 12-19-2009 01:36 PM

I have a book, "American Sea Songs & Chanteys" by Frank Shay with many lyrics and sheet music. You might search under that title, author, and the "Chantey" spelling. Good Luck, Aythya crew

danielgoldberg 12-19-2009 01:50 PM

Can't help with the specific site you are looking for, but two contemporary artists who focus almost exclusively on sea shanties are Eileen Quinn and Eric Stone. Search for their stuff, and you'll find lots of good songs to cover. I haven't searched, so I don't know if their sheet music is available, but both are receptive and responsive to emails, so if you can't find their music on your own, I bet you could contact them directly.

Bon chance!

darkstar247 12-19-2009 07:24 PM

John's Nautical and Boatbuilding Page this site has huge collection of all kinds of stuff big list of music boat - links . com remove spaces

darkstar247 12-19-2009 07:26 PM

John's Nautical and Boatbuilding Page

darkstar247 12-19-2009 07:43 PM

Sea Shantie Chanty Sailor Songs recordings and information