Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Pcitures/ideas for companionway seal.

Currently I'm using a piece of busted up plywood for a companionway door. It's not even close to water tight. I thought about using acrylic b/c I liked the way my windows came out so well. I'm thinking of doing 2 "boards" if I use acrylic. How is everyone else making the boards water proof? The sea hood on the top lets in a lot of water as well, not a good design from the factory. I need to fix/replace the slides for the "sea hood" anyway and thought I may be able to build somthing that was acceptable for offshore racing.

I'm really interested in pictures or detailed drawings. Here's a pic for reference.

Old 12-22-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
You might try making two hatch boards - the lower board from acrylic and the upper board from marine plywood (varnich the plywood). That will give you a strong point to attach your companionway lock and some visability and light from inside the cabin when the boards are in. I also made a set of companionway screens (two) for Paloma - I took the measurements to a screen shop and had them made for under $10 each.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I have 4 boards in my companionway. The mating edges are beveled with the lower board bevel slanting down. The purpose is not waterproof, but to shed water and keep most of it out of the cabin.
________
GLASS PIPES

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-22-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Marine Plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
You might try making two hatch boards - the lower board from acrylic and the upper board from marine plywood (varnich the plywood). That will give you a strong point to attach your companionway lock and some visability and light from inside the cabin when the boards are in.
Good idea but keep the acrylic to a minimum as it just isn't as strong as ply. Also don't let the lumberyard sell you just any plywood as "marine". Yes, all plywood is made with water proof glue but the marine grade is made up of more and thinner plys.

My companionway hatch is a double door hinged on both sides with louvers on both sides and is backed up with a three piece solid set of boards that slip in behind the hinged doors for strength in case of real bad weather. I've never used the boards but it's nice to have them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I have 1/2" marine grade plywood left over from my core repair but I think that's too thick to fit. I'd have to remove the teak and replace w/ stainless tracks to hold the boards.
Old 12-22-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
ZZ

I did the same as nickmerc with the 4 beveled boards. I found they where easier to store. I used oak as it is solid and relatively inexpensive. I also made screens that I could replace the two center boards with and put cup holders on the bottom board. This could be turned around to face outward when sailing. I also made a companion way cover from sunbrella material that snapped into place for when i was away6 from the boat.