Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Hose clamp failures?

I replaced ALL hose clamps on my boat in April 09, prior to launch. It was a new boat to me and I had just replaced the Atomic-4 so as part of getting a baseline established for ongoing maintenance and because I had easy access to some spaces when the engine was out I decided to renew them all. My source of replacement clamps was Hamilton Marine and they were all quality clamps. I doubled clamps on thru-hulls, etc. As the year went on I discovered 2 broken clamps while the boat was still on the water. They were resting in place but had snapped. When I was winterizing prior to last week's haul out I discovered a third! None of the broken clamps resulted in any leaks.

I am wondering how often broken hose clamps show up. Perhaps I am tightening them with a bit too much vigor? I am considering changing some of the more critical clamps to the more robust type that use a threaded ss bolt and nut to tighten them.

George
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Dude, get over to this thread and you'll get even more nervous:

Close your sea cocks

Zowie!

Everything I've read here points to having 2 clamps on each fitting. I think it was Faster or Mainesail that talked about a specific type of non-perforated clamp that they recommended so you might ask them.

Gotta go, I have a sneaking suspicion my boat is sinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-23-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I replaced ALL hose clamps on my boat in April 09, prior to launch. It was a new boat to me and I had just replaced the Atomic-4 so as part of getting a baseline established for ongoing maintenance and because I had easy access to some spaces when the engine was out I decided to renew them all. My source of replacement clamps was Hamilton Marine and they were all quality clamps. I doubled clamps on thru-hulls, etc. As the year went on I discovered 2 broken clamps while the boat was still on the water. They were resting in place but had snapped. When I was winterizing prior to last week's haul out I discovered a third! None of the broken clamps resulted in any leaks.

I am wondering how often broken hose clamps show up. Perhaps I am tightening them with a bit too much vigor? I am considering changing some of the more critical clamps to the more robust type that use a threaded ss bolt and nut to tighten them.

George
The only "quality" clamps Hamilton sells are the t-band clamps and the AWAB's. The others are the typical POS Ideal clamps. Do not use perforated hose clamps AWAB's are about the best you can find in a non t-band style.

Do not use perforated clamps like these:

Only settle for genuine AWAB non-perforated clamps. The knock offs that WM sells are NOT as well made:

AWAB non-perf on top, perforated on the bottom:

If you used AWAB's and killed them you were definitely over tightening them. I have been using them, hundreds & hundreds of them, for at least ten years, and have yet to experience even one failure of an AWAB clamp.

Morris Yachts uses AWAB and T-Band clamps exclusively, there is not one single perforated hose clamp on-site, and it's just one of the small details that add up to that large high quality price tag. Morris Yachts hose clamp inventory...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-23-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
I am sold! Thanks,

George
Old 12-23-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Have seen hose clamps rust out, break, stripped, and a Myriad of other ills.
So change out any suspicious clamps, toss them, deep six them, get rid of them. Don't put them on the shelf, just in case you might need it...
Put NEW clamps on the shelf in case you need another clamp.
And Double up those clamps.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-23-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
In 40 years of sailing on numerous boats of my own and other people's, I have never experienced a broken clamp or had a hose attached to a thru-hull come off or leak. The secret (IMHO) is in the tightening. Just enough torque to create a seal, but not enough to over stress the clamp. And, of course, make sure that the hose is in good condition. I always use stainless steel clamps, but I have never been fussy about which make I use.

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?