SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My big sail. What is it.

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Garffin 
#1 ·
Ok this is the second time I have gotten this sail out of the bag and the first time I have used it. What is it? a big jib or geno? Its a really nice sail.

See less See more
#3 ·
Probably a Drifter/reacher type sail. Looks to be nylon, so max wind is typically about 6-8 knots. I bought one last spring made of 1.5oz spin cloth material. works great in light winds upwind. Sure beats the carbon 155 in winds under 6 knots, 6-8 is a toss up, above 8 the drifter is blowing out of shape. Mine is a slightly high cut 130%.

marty

#6 ·
Not a code 0 genneker, as those are not held at the luff like this one. A code 0 is a small assymetric style sail size wise IIRC of a 155-175% genoa. It is a jib/genoa style sail. If a nylon cloth, a drifter/reacher in nature. If dacron or other lighter wt cloth, probably a more typical genoa sail.

marty

#7 ·
Code 0s are held at the luff (unlike asymetric spinnakers) by a "anti-twist" removable forestay, most of them with a furler system, but you're right, the tack would be ahead of the forestay...
Let's say it's a cruising kite then.. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.