SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mike Richey dies at 92

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  darkstar247 
#1 ·
Mike Richey died Tuesday at age 92. He was a British sailor and navigator. He bought Jester, a modified folkboat from Blondie Hasler and sailed her in every Singlehanded Trans-Atlantic race after that until 2000. The last 3 races in the second Jester as the first was lost in 1988. A consummate singlehander and navigator, he will be missed. A short biography is here Mike Richey

#2 ·
Mike Richey died Tuesday at age 92. He was a British sailor and navigator. He bought Jester, a modified folkboat from Blondie Hasler and sailed her in every Singlehanded Trans-Atlantic race after that until 2000. The last 3 races in the second Jester as the first was lost in 1988. A consummate singlehander and navigator, he will be missed. A short biography is here Mike Richey
I've always admired the likes of Richey. Those that choose to follow the road less travelled. A true character, yet no fool. We need more of the likes of him.

Still and all he lived a long and fruitful life. I sincerely hope he died a contented man, I'd reckon the odds are good.

#3 ·
There's more about his life at http://www.jesterinfo.org/
I've always admired the likes of those types too, and have been playing with the thought of participating in the Jester Challenge for some years, however obligations (or the lack of courage) have stopped me from doing it.
The AZAB (Azores and Back) seems more manageable, though.

#5 ·
Jester (both of them) was/is an amazing boat. Not my speed but that is not the point.

I don't remember if this was in BH's time or MR's but there is a lovely story about the skipper of Jester doing a transatlantic and never having to take off his slippers and dressing gown. You have got to love that image...somewhat eccentric Brit crossing the Atlantic in PJs, dressing gown and slippers. Cup of tea at hand, pipe firmly clenched twixt teeth.

Somewhat eccentric yes, but both of them were consumate sailors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.