Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
26' mono to Hobie Cat...

My wife and I just booked a trip to Cozumel for March.

I want to dive my ass off, my wife wants to relax in the sun.

One of the features that attracted us to the hotel we chose was that they have catamarans available for guests to use.

We have been sailing up here in Georgian Bay for the last 3 years.
I feel very comfortable in my 26' Nash, and my wife has become excellent crew for me (she loves to handle the lines etc. but is very intimidated by the tiller)

I am looking forward to trying out a small catamaran. I see them out on the Bay here and they always seems as though they could run circles around me.

Anyhow, I would like some advice on some of the differences in technique etc. in sailing the smaller, faster boat. I mean I'm an old pro with exceptional skills (cough, cough) up here and don't want to come across as a spastic greenhorn in front of all of those bikini-clad witnesses down south.

Any pointers to help a fellow sailor out?

Thanks

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
They're a lot of fun, and I think for the most part you'll be fine. There are a few things that are slightly different, but they're easy to adapt to.

Probably the biggest one is tacking - small cats won't coast through the wind like a heavier monohull. Come into the wind a bit more gradually rather than throwing the helm over so you keep some momentum. And if you have a jib, keep it sheeted in until it backwinds to help push the bow around. Then turn it loose, sheet it in on the new tack, and you'll be back up to speed again in a heartbeat.

Also keep an eye on weight balance. Right when you're chugging along the fastest, if you have too too much weight forward, you can bury the bow and she will come to almost a stop - quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 12-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
One of the features that attracted us to the hotel we chose was that they have catamarans available for guests to use.

....... I mean I'm an old pro with exceptional skills (cough, cough) up here and don't want to come across as a spastic greenhorn in front of all of those bikini-clad witnesses down south.

Any pointers to help a fellow sailor out?

Thanks
Our son got married at a resort near Tulum that had these little cats, and as another "old pro, " I have to say I struggled with the thing trying to get it off the beach. In my defence it was a lee shore with a strong breeze, artificial reefs and a lot of swimmers/snorkelers about. Took me several tries (and a crash on one of those reefs - thankfully not coral) to get out.

Once clear of the beach (finally) though, it was a blast. These things go like crazy but tacking is very different from the mono as mentioned above. Ours had no vang, and you could considerably improve speed by using your foot on the mainsheet tackle to pull the boom down.. that was a lot of fun.

But I did manage to embarass myself initially..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-29-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I learned to sail on Hobie 16's. When I switched to mono hulls there were a few surprises. Like stated above tacking a beach cat can be a bear. Also, watch the leeward bow, especialy when reaching. If you stuff the bow the boat will stop suddenly. If it is windy enough to fly a hull I find for newbies it is best to use the main sheet to depower instead of pointing higher. The cats do not need a boom vang since the main travel is so long. The main sheet acts like a vang. If the cat does have a main traveler and it works well I find you get much better sail control using it rather than the sheet. You will also find that the apparent wind is always very close on the bows once you get going. It will seem like you are always sheeted all the way in.

Here is how I would tack my H16 and my H18.

1) Fall off slightly to get more boat speed.
2) Have the crew get into the center of the tramp and lay down to avoid being hit by the boom
3) Smoothly move the rudder to head up and through the wind. The rudder should not be deflected more than 45deg or you will stop the boat and get into irons.
4a) right before you turn through the wind, toss the tiller behind the boat and use the rudder crossbar to control the rudders. The main sheet will get in the way of the tiller extention.
4b) Get to the center of the tramp and duck while still holding the rudders
5) Keep the jib backwinded until the main battens "pop" across. You will know what I mean the first time you try it.
6) If solo or with non-contributing crew, sheet out the main about 12-18 inches, then tack the jib. If the crew is helping, do both at the same time.
7) As your speed increases trim sails as necessary.

If you blow the tack and get stuck in irons, you can still complete it.
1) sail the boat backwards fast enough so you get rudder athourity.
2) keep the jib backwinded, it will help push your bows around.
3) keep the main on the inteded leeward side, but make sure it is not sheeted in tight.
4) as soon as the boat can be truned off the wind do so and tack the jib.

General hints:
1) The main sail is what gives the boat most of its power. So, I usually set the jib for the point of sail and forget it until a tack or gybe.
2) Look at the hull shape on the beach. If the hulls have lots of rocker, when tacking keep your weight over the lowest point of of the hulls. It will help the boat turn better. If very little rocker or no rocker, keep your weight as far aft as possible since the boat will try to pivot around the rudders. Most resort cats do not have dagger boards.
3) Things happend much faster in cats. give yourself plenty of room until you get used to the boat.
4) Don't worry about capsizing. It's part of the fun. Remember, if it is windy enough to capsize it is windy enough for you to right the boat.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM. If you do, please tell me the type of cat so I can give you more specific info on how they sail.

Have fun!
________
NASTYDOLL2

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
I sail a 20 ft Tornado. Many of the same issues as noted above. The Hobie 16 is very prone to a lee bow diving in a good blow. This can cause the boat to pitch-pole forward. If you have a trapeze make sure you know how to get out quickly and that there is a stabilizing line to the stern so you are not launched from the bow if the boat plows into a wave and stops abruptly. This provides ample oportunity for those within camera range to record truely spectacular Funniest Home Videos.
Old 12-29-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I have sailed a few small cats in the hotel fleet. Note that, more than likely, the boat will be in poor condition and they won't let you take it out if it is windy. Typically, you can take the boat out in less than 10 kts, any more and they keep the boats on the beach. You can understand why, because most people can't sail worth a damn and will either get stuck or will break something.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Get a book on small cats at the library.

There are a number of very good ones.

I sailed small cats for many years. Other posters have given good tips. The biggest differences, to me:
* Less feel. They do not heel.
* When things go wrong, it is more sudden... but there are plenty of warnings if you listen.
* There is no keel, so you need to keep the boat moving.
* Sheet the main out a bit after tacking, until you are moving.
* your turning circle is greater.

Have fun.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 12-29-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
I forgot to add a link to a great boat Catamaran Sailing: Start to Finish. This is a great guide for beach cats. It is based on the older glass boats but is still very relevant. You can read it in two nights.
________
How to roll a joint

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
That is the one I was thinking of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
I forgot to add a link to a great boat Catamaran Sailing: Start to Finish. This is a great guide for beach cats. It is based on the older glass boats but is still very relevant. You can read it in two nights.
I learned the craft from that one 25 years ago. It is simple and copmlete.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 12-29-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
There are a number of very good ones.

* Sheet the main out a bit after tacking, until you are moving.

Have fun.
I raced beach cats for quite a while.

To help the boat get through the wind, it is better to let main sheet out just before the boat points into wind. Overwise, mainsail works as wind vane and prevents completing the turn.

flyingwelshman, watch out while doing jibe too. It can be very violent on catamaran
Steer downwind. Hold mainsheet between blocks, just grab all ropes and push the boom from one side to another. Don't wait until boom flies by itself, just make sure you are dead downwind and swing the boom around by hand...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.