Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak01 View Post
Well I did see someone say Sailor Jerry Rum, which is good with a high volume of % alcohol. But no one mentioned Capt. Morgan? Try it, you may like it.
That you would choose Captain Morgan's over Sailor Jerry's causes me to loose faith in humanity... Just a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2010

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
In regards to the rum tank on board. My father used to winterize his potable water tank with cheap vodka. It tasted slightlt better than antifreeze and he always had help for spring commisioning.

About what rum to buy. I like Pusser's, but it is pricey. I feel bad if I mix it so I only drink it straight or on the rocks. For mixing Goslings Black Seal. It goes exceptionally well in a dark & stormy.
________
Gabryella live

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2010

Silverstreak01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPrairieRose View Post
That you would choose Captain Morgan's over Sailor Jerry's causes me to loose faith in humanity... Just a little.
Oh no, i'm not choosing that but, Morgan's does have a little more spicy flavor to it, and Sailors does get you there faster. Hey, go for whatever makes you happy, and Rum will work.
Old 01-01-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
I drink lots of rum. Cruzan is my choice - neat. But when I can afford it, Capt. Morgan. Neat. (Low maintenance kind of guy - besides, mixers ruin the flavor and lessen the effect and my refrigeration unit doesn't make ice well)

Considering the pain and discouragement that sailors go through with maintaining their boats, I have long held that they do not make rum fast enough.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-01-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
Ron Zacappa

has been my favorite for a few years. Now, Zaya (Trinadad) has taken over. Suggest you try it. Happy New Year. Cheers.
Old 01-01-2010

Superpickle is on a distinguished road
Taquila here.. :-D
Old 01-01-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Pickle, why do you have to be difficult? That said I am blown away how cheap Patron Silver is at Costco in the US. Best value in Tequila I have found.
Old 01-01-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I prefer beer, the hard stuff gets me there too fast! But there are times it's needed!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-02-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The world of rum is so unique and varied from one place to another that it is almost impossible to try all the different rums of the world.
That said, I am not a fan of clear rums. There are so many varieties from amber to dark that Bacardi 151 would be my next to last choice.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
The world of rum is so unique and varied from one place to another that it is almost impossible to try all the different rums of the world.
That said, I am not a fan of clear rums. There are so many varieties from amber to dark that Bacardi 151 would be my next to last choice.
As a new Rummie, (3 years drinking Rum - convert from Scotch), my soul is into damnation with no hope of escape. I have the pleasure of weekly traveling to all the great rum makers in the Caribbean and Latin American. This of course doesn't help with my Rum addiction. One must sample all the wares as a courtesy of the host nation. I do try to be a good guest after all. The best sipping rums come from the 3 Latin America nations; Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Nicaragua. 15 year old is great. I found out anything over that is a waste of money ( my credit card can prove that). Mt Gay Reserve will do in a pinch. The rums from Trinidad and Venezuela come in next.
If into mixing rum the Sailor line is the best; Sailor Jerry. Next is Capt Morgan. Bacardi is for the trailer crowd or minimalist amongst us. Dark and Stormy's I consider a health hazard. They simply go down too smooth and on a hot day they go down to fast. Before I know it, I am on my butt with the boat moving while docked in gale force wind.
My dockmates love me only at sundowners where they know where my rum supply is. For some reason every time I come back to the boat after a trip my rum supply has disappeared. Might have to set Rat traps on the boat.
I have converted many Scotch and Wiskey drinkers to become new Rummies. Maybe I should start a new church; Rum Damnation.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.