SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   ok a rum thread (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/60963-ok-rum-thread.html)

scottyt 01-01-2010 01:37 AM

ok a rum thread

first i am not much of a drinker, normally its a beer a month or so, with a yearly drunk session. now i do like good vodka, basicly anything over grey goose, which i can drink in a pinch.

now i just read a 9 page thread on run here, as i bought a bottle for the boat, mt gay eclipse. now i had 2 rum and cokes, not real big on them. but i kept seeing people saying 7up and rum but i had no 7up, so i tried sprite ( well sprite zero due to the diabetes thing with the wife same with the coke ) well i found a rum drink i like.

i think i may be in trouble as i cant afford a 20 buck bottle of rum very often right now.

ps i have had enough rum the channel guide said " Jewelry: ring in the new year" and i read it as "jewelry: ring in the ear"

jrd22 01-01-2010 02:13 AM

Aye, you might be in a bit of trouble. First a simple rum and coke/sprite/whatever, then it's experimenting with "different" rums. Next thing you'll only drink Meyer's Dark or something special that you have to have sent in special from the islands. Just stop now before it's too late I tell you, cold turkey only hurts for a little while, the other way leads to damnation :hothead

Think about it, I've got to get back to my Cruzan Blackstrap over ice :laugher

Happy New Year.

sww914 01-01-2010 03:14 AM

Yes, I grew pretty fond of a bottle of Kraken rum recently, it was on special and very nice but now they're out of it and I have to go hunting. I wish I had been disappointed with it.

SVPrairieRose 01-01-2010 07:00 AM

Sailor Jerry makes a very fine rum at a great price, but if you are on a budget then the only answer is 151... a little goes a long way and no-one will ever question your manliness. Now you need to try a dark and stormy.

A little off topic but does anyone know the effect alcohol would have on fiberglass. I have 4 water tanks on board my boat and I think 3 water tanks and a rum tank would do just fine.

Happy new year everyone!!!

imagine2frolic 01-01-2010 08:54 AM

Ron Zacapa 23 Centurion only needs a glass. Unless you're the type to drink from the bottle.;) ........i2f

WanderingStar 01-01-2010 10:43 AM

Because I read (and contributed to) the rum thread, I now have a bottle of Black Strap. I like it, and put some in my tea last night.

Allanbc 01-01-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagine2frolic (Post 555820)
Ron Zacapa 23 Centurion only needs a glass. Unless you're the type to drink from the bottle.;) ........i2f

I've been drinking this rum for close to 20 years (you could only get it Guatemala back then and it was $10 a bottle). I have been known to drink it straight from the bottle.

sevennations 01-01-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allanbc (Post 555856)
I've been drinking this rum for close to 20 years (you could only get it Guatemala back then and it was $10 a bottle). I have been known to drink it straight from the bottle.

I like to have it in a glass just so I get to smell it and see the color of it. It adds to the enjoyment.

I wonder if the liquor store is open today.....

imagine2frolic 01-01-2010 05:08 PM

Nothing wrong with drinking it from the bottle. I agree with sevennations with it being in a glass adding to it's enjoyment...........i2f

Silverstreak01 01-01-2010 05:24 PM

ho, ho ,ho, and a bottle of rum

Well I did see someone say Sailor Jerry Rum, which is good with a high volume of % alcohol. But no one mentioned Capt. Morgan? Try it, you may like it.:)