Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Saturday was too windy so we motored for about an hour and then headed in. Sunday was great as the winds subsided to about 10kts. She joined us for both days.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Here on the Chesapeake, the south of the bridge Sail with Courtney consisted of four boats who rendezvoused in Galesville. Eryka (Jaye and Dan) on Cinderella organized the raft up and sailed down on friday night and I suspect motored home again on Sunday. Tom (dacap06) and Crew sailed in on Tranquility Base. Barbara and I sailed down on Synergy on Saturday and back home on Sunday. The fourth boat, was a friend of Jaye and Dan's who sailed down and back.

It is always nice to meet and put faces to the denizens of these virtual pages as was the case with Tom, Karen and the rest of his crew whose name escapes me and for which I apologize, or, as was the case with Jaye and Dan, to see friends and hear of their adventures since last we met.

But we were all there to remember that special ballerina, who was mistaken when she said, she regretted that she had not lived long enough to do something worth remembering. She is very much remembered for the hearts she touched.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-31-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
.....But we were all there to remember that special ballerina, who was mistaken when she said, she regretted that she had not lived long enough to do something worth remembering. She is very much remembered for the hearts she touched.

Jeff
Nicely said, Jeff....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-31-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

But we were all there to remember that special ballerina, who was mistaken when she said, she regretted that she had not lived long enough to do something worth remembering. She is very much remembered for the hearts she touched.

Jeff
I agree with Faster, very nicely said Jeff.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 08-31-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks to all of you and all that participated.
The Racine Wisconsin event was a grand success.
Mike and young Mike and I had an outstanding sail home on Sunday night / Monday morning. It was a nice time to bond and reminisce under a 2/3 moon.
Plans are already in progress for next year.
Thanks for remembering!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-01-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
John - JRD22 - Davidson,
Thank you for the opportunity to take part in the "Sail with Courtney" event in the San Juans. It was truely an honour.
I do not know what it is, but these arranged public meetings have such biblical power, perhaps not realized at first, but they leave you thinking of mortality, and in this particular case, of Courtney.

The day was awesome. Thank you Courtney.

(Aberdeen, Scotland 2147)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
We had a nice turnout for Sail with Courtney, and I think everyone had a great time. Four boats total, three sail and one power, and 15 people in all. The weather cooperated with a nice breeze to sail downwind to Spencer Spit from Blakely Island and then we had sun and calm for the get together on the beach and a calm night on the hook.

Erps and his better half came in "Nikko" from LaConnor and had a great sail over on Friday; Nemier, who lives in Vancouver, BC. but was cruising here in the San Juans came with his wonderful family in "Gratitude"; my brother and his wife and their friend came in "Tie 'er Loose"; and our son, daughter-in-law and grandson, came from eastern Washington with us on "Laurie Anne".

We all anchored on the south side of the spit (5-6 fathoms, sticky mud) then gathered on the beach at a picnic spot and had refreshments and then a great potluck (crabbing had been good so we brought 14 dungies) followed by a great campfire courtesy of Ray (Erps) who brought the kindling, axe and saw.

I had a wonderful time and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to travel here and participating.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 09-01-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Beautifully said, Jeff!
In the Chesapeake we had one breast cancer survivor, one other cancer survivor, and too many stories of those who've gone or still fighting. My favorite moment came when a non-sailnet participant asked, "Tell us about Courtney..." The legend spreads!!

I'm having trouble including the actual photo, but here's a link to the Sail With Courtney flag with the Chesapeake Bay's iconic Thomas Point lighthouse in the background:
Old 09-01-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Reading with a tear in my eye! Thanks for the pic's, John. Thank you all! Courtney, we are better people for knowing you. Thanks Honey!!!!!

Never Forgotten

Old 09-03-2010
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Sail With Courtney - Reefpoint Marina

Here is a video from the Reefpoint Marina "Sail With Courtney" event. It is comprised of pictures from the cookout as well as the Clevenger Family sail on Tim's boat the next day. The background music is by Elizabeth Carol K... who played at the event. It was truly a great time.

Thank You to:
The Clevenger family, many of whom made the trip to grace us with their presence.
Jim for originating the idea, planning and setting up the event and for serving as Master of Ceremonies
Tim for all his work with Jim to plan and set this up and for being Master of the Grill
Reefpoint Marina staff, especially Debb, for all of their support
Elizabeth Carol K... for providing the live music (Find her on YouTube, Facebook, and MySpace)
All the businesses and attendees for their generous donations
Everyone else who wanted to be there with us but could not. You were there in spirit (but come next year!)

(and thanks to Carrie who doesn't know that I obtained a few of these pictures from her Facebook )

Enjoy!

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes

Last edited by welshwind; 09-03-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow - welsh - thanks for that. I don't like admitting it - but it brought a tear to my eye seeing Mike and Micheal and all you guys, thinking about Courtney, and hearing one of Coldplay's best songs ever. I'm honored to know that family.

This was a good thing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-03-2010 at 11:30 AM.