SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Sail with Courtney

67K views 186 replies 49 participants last post by  cardude 
#1 · (Edited)
My wish for the New Year, A Sail with Courtney.

We are organizing a sail in rally/rendezvous on Saturday August 28th in Racine, WI. We would love to have you join us if possible. If you cannot make it to the rendezvous we would still love to have you join us on that date in honoring Courtney's memory where ever you are, and those of other victims of breast cancer, and to make sure that she is never forgotten.

As many of you know Bubb's (Mike) daughter Courtney lost her tragic battle with breast cancer, a year ago last September, at a very young age. http://www.anything-sailing.com/memo...ight=forgotten I was very touched by Courtney's story when Mike was so generous to share it with us all. The thread was titled, "My Wish for the New Year, One More Sail with My Daughter."http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-topic/39494-my-wish-new-year-one-more-sail.html If you have not read it, you owe it to yourself to do so. You will not be the same after you do.

As the "In Memory of Courtney" thread says, Courtney was afraid she would be forgotten. No one that age should have to worry about something like that, and it's a thought that really touched me and has stuck with me. While I couldn't do anything to help Courtney, I think we ALL can do something to make sure she is NOT forgotten.

See less See more
#31 ·
Sounds great.

I am sorry to say I missed most of the original posts as they were happening.

Like everyone else I read the threads and was moved by so many things, Courtney's strength of character and incredible attitude. Also the character and attitude of her family, and also by the camaraderie of so many of the members here. No matter how crummy I was feeling I couldn't justify it after reading those messages. It was a touchstone for me, and probably many others, to see how brave and courageous people deal with tough times.

I would gladly fly a flag to show my support. I am not sure if I will be able to cross the lake to attend but will be trying to work that into my summer plans.

#37 ·
As I read this post I couldn't help but think of my 9 yo grand daughter Courtney Alexandria. She is my life, my every breath and could not even begin to imagine the pain. I held her and told her how much I love her as I shared this story with her.

In solidarity with my fellow sailors be it known that the S.V. Courtney Alexandria will sail August 28, 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico proudly flying a pink ribbon.
Courtney you will not be forgotten !!!

Bubb (Mike) know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and Courtney.

The crew of the S.V. Courtney Alexandria
Victor, Kathy, Courtney

#38 ·
Mmm...had a dream last night about a raftup of boats streaming pink, black, and white ribbons ...

#40 ·
#47 · (Edited)
#41 ·
I'd be happy to help coordinate a BC, Canada Sail for Courtenay if there's enough of us here to pull it off.

Since we are out sailing for most of our summers, I missed the bulk of the original thread, and to be honest have yet to read it all... I confess to having trouble dealing with a youngsters' suffering....

Our hearts go out to your family...

#43 ·
Faster:

I'd be interested.. I wonder if this should be synchronized with the other gathering...

David
Hi David.. As I understand it this is to be a common event for August 28 2010 - so if you're referring to the Feb meet I'm not sure that's a fit.

Perhaps T34C can confirm....

#44 ·
No.. I wasn't thinking of February... It would be cool to have events in different places going on at the same time....

Or at least within a few days of each other...

#46 ·
The current plan is to have multiple events around the country/world all taking place on Aug. 28. When I say event, anyone going for a sail on their boat and honoring Courtney's memory and/or flying one of the flags (we are working on), counts. I understand some clubs may have races on that day, or other things going on... I would encourage you to race in her honor, or get together with others at the dock or a raft-up after the race.

Just my thoughts.

#45 ·
David,

There are 4 posters, or at least in the past from here in Edmonds, You and I, tenuki and "still in shock". The latter two I have not personally seen post in awhile. I do st SIS as she is on F dock, and an EYC member. Tenuki, other than facebook info, he is rather quite!

CYCE has a race scheduled sat aug 28.

Marty

#51 ·
Looks great... but I'd take out the date.. They could be used repeatedly if this becomes a annual event

#50 ·
humbled

I feel the same way dad, if Im having a bad night sometimes I watch it to put everything into perspective, the love, the sacrafice..It has taken a long time for me to watch the video and not only bawl through it but to also smile till the end..its sad that the dancing part isnt at the end of this video because thats my favorite...you hear her laugh...no one can describe that and I never want it to leave me...I miss her...it haunts me everyday..there are things in the apartment I wont even touch or move...I know she is in a better place now, watching us, laughing at our mistakes, and so deeply touched that so many people are not only making time for her, but making time for remembrance...in her stead...I say thank you...she would laugh, she would dance and she would love..that was Courtney....

#52 ·
I love the Burgee and I love what you guys are doing here. I'm proud to be a member of SailNet. I have followed the Courtney thread since I happened upon it, and I'm overwhelmed by the generosity and sincerity of it's members. Faster, I would be happy to participate in the event if I'm in the country at the time. Bubb2, I sat with my wife this morning and told her all about what I've learned about yourself, your wife and daughters. Our hearts go out to you.

#53 ·
Faster, I would be happy to participate in the event if I'm in the country at the time.
Thanks, Nemier.. that's a start. We'll be just back from our summer cruise but as it's a weekend I think we could arrange something for our Lower Mainland contingent, and maybe even get some non-owners/lurkers involved too.

Sat Aug 28, I believe is the date.

My wife's a breast cancer survivor so we're certainly onside with this whole concept... we're the lucky ones..

#55 ·
I'd point out it isn't just for the people who have battled cancer, but supporting those who have lost people to cancer, like Bubb and I both have.

#57 ·
Hey Mike & Jim - I am in! I want a burgee too and will fly it n omatter where we are - and more than just in August. I also think you should take out the date (my opinion) but it is yours to design and I think you and the family should do it and design it for what feels right.

I also like that it is not just about Courtney (who touched all of us here) but also about all breast cancer survivors and awareness. Christie's mom (my wife) died of cancer at 22 or 23 and left Christie without a mom at 7 yo. These things hit close to home.

Great idea guys. If Sailnet can help, please let me know what we can do and I will reach out to Rob.

Take care,

Brian

#60 ·
As sure as any plan can be in January for August, I'll be in Racine. What with school starting and all, we're at the mercy of the kids' schedules. But if we are at the boat (in Reefpoint), we'll plan to participate.

#61 ·
Welsh,
can you spead the word around the marina?
We may also have fliers for you to post.
The bbq cook out and offical get togetrher will be on Saturday afternoon.
Thanks,
TK

#62 ·
Sure ... I'd be happy to. If someone puts together a flier as a pdf or something that I can print out, just send it to me and I'll worry about it getting printed and posted.

#65 ·
Sail With Courtney Facebook page

Thanks for all the quick loyal fans to the new page! Its still under construction so pardon the cobwebs. Feel free to post your stories share photos we are all on this journey together now!

I made the page as a fan page not a normal facebook page. It would seem it was more about Courtney then the whole Cancer cause as a collective. It made more sense to do a fan page that way anyone and everyone could join without having to approve them also it makes it easier to search. Spread the word!

#66 ·
Well done Carrie. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.