SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing from Newport RI to Champlain Lake

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mooregm5 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a newbie here and I want to plan my first trip with my new boat this spring. The boat is a Jeanneau 39 and I will be helped by a 35 years experience sailor (never sail this area) and possibly two other newbie. Sure I can bring the boat by ground to Lake Champlain but the idea is to get precious sailing experience by bringing the boat by sea and Hudson River. Lot’s of marina docking and some good sailing distance will give me a good base I hope.

If anybody already make this trip and can tell me how to get marina's location and information (opening date)? I plan to do this trip in beginning of May 2010 because Champlain canal (Hudson River to Champlain Lake) opens only May 1+. Basically, I think I need maps but if someone can give me a list of the best location to stop by for marinas quality and location to see from sea!

#2 ·
Be flexible with dates

You will need a couple of publications: chart books for Newport to NYC and for the Hudson River and Champlain Canal. Also you should get the appropriate cruising guides - the latter will have all of the marinas listed with contact info. You can call to find out when they open. I would imagine they will be all open by May.

The canal does open May 1 but that is only if the conditions allow so you need to be flexible about this. Also, it is not rare for the canal to open and then close again if water levels become too high.

A final consideration is where you will take your mast down and put it up again. If you are comfortable doing it yourself you can take it down at the Castleton Boat Club south of Albany. If not, there are a couple of marinas further south that will do it for you (I forget their names since I always go to Castleton). There will lots of options for getting the mast back up in Lake Champlain but I have not ever done it there.

#3 ·
The only sailing you're apt to do will be from Newport to NYC. You will most likely have to motor up the Hudson. Try to plan your trip upriver with the tides as they can give you a nice boost along the way.

There are two places to have your mast professionally unstepped, Riverview Marina and Hopponose Marina. Both are located on Catskill Creek in Catskill.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Killarney, I check for maps but can't find a map book or a cruising guide? Do you have a suggestion for me?

Alan, thanks for marinas information for the mast removal. Just need a place in Champlain to replace the mast next to the canal.

I want to visit New York so I need the best located marina, anybody?

#6 ·
Liberty Landing next to Ellis Island is a primo place. Wehave stopped off there on our trips up to New England via the Long Island Sound and the east River

Dave

#7 ·
In NYC Liberty Landing is a decent choice but is a bit pricey: Liberty Landing Marina - New Jersey Marina -
79th St. Boat Basin has moorings that are much cheaper: Marinas : West 79th Street Boat Basin : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
although I hear that their moorings can be a bit bouncy from traffic and/or weather.
There are also cheap NYC Parks moorings at Pier 40 (Houston St.): Hudson River Park - Pier 40 Moorings
but there are precious few services here (bring your own dink).

Stop at Nyack Boat Club on your way up the Hudson for another cheap transient mooring: Nyack Boat Club
Call ahead to confirm.
Good luck.

#8 ·
Great marina selection for NYC! For maps, just realize that is possibly better to buy my Chart plotter/GPS sooner considering the price of paper maps? In the Raymarine C90W, all the US maps are built-in and I can also see where I am all the time.

In couple of year, I want to go to Florida so the GPS/Chart plotter is already planned. Do I need radar?

#11 ·
Champlain

Lake Champlain is a great lake to sail on, I love the scenery.

As far as your trip, you should take the mast down as said above on the Hudson and head up the Champlain Canal. Lock 12 Marina (Whitehall) is right at the end of the canal can restep your mast. Bouy 39 Marina (Vermont) also has crane. I've never used either of these services there, so call ahead for prices, etc. There are also many places up the lake to step the mast, but you mine as well all the time possible with your sailing guru.

Also, if you go as early as stated, the Champlain Bridge at Crown Point which was just blown up is a "do not enter" zone till April 15th (I know its still winter). Just check ahead to make sure that you can get through there and if there are any issues related to that. I'm sure there will be some activity there and its quite narrow.

Now as far as the Champlain Canal goes, check out Champlain Canal to get tons of info for that part of the trip. I'd suggest not getting there before opening day, and I would suggest against stopping at Fort Edward Yacht Basin with such a large boat/mast. Also note the short operating hours during May, its going to take at least two days to get through the Champlain Canal. I'd suggest day one stopping at either Mechanicville or Schuylerville and going as far as possible on the second day.

Let me know if you have questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.