SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Question about life jackets

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently got a new life jacket from fiancee...not a huge wearer in the first place and this one came with an understrap. (strap between your legs) He's big on safety. Is there much harm in cutting that strap off or just not wearing it? It's brilliantly uncomfortable and a huge inconvenience. It's a type I USCG approved jacket and seems to fit fine without. Thanks all!

#2 ·
Without the strap, if you fall into the water unconcious, the jacket will ride up. Any number of things could then happen. Your airway could be blocked off, or you could slip right out of the bottom of the jacket.

If you were concious, you'd be forced to keep your arms low, near your sides to keep the jacket low and comfortable on you.

#3 ·
Just wear the life jacket everywhere, until your fiancee complains that you are wearing a life jacket in a grocery store. Tell her how much you like it and that you really appreciate her gift, and you feel safer when wearing it.

Eventually she will insist you take it off. Never put it back on.

Insurance is ruining the world. If actuaries had their way we would all be wearing bear survival suits when hiking. Helmets and pads when walking down the sidewalk. Bulletproof vests while in the bank or Los Angeles. Earplugs when in the city etc.

Just remember, you can't measure safety, the best way to stay alive isn't to wear a PFD when you fall in, it's to not fall in in the first place.

#5 ·
Major faux paux on my part. I am sorry. I guess in today's world of gender, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, they call me by my mothers name at the grocery store all the time, just because I use her account and they don't even look at my face! Ha!

#7 · (Edited)
If the jacket is intended to be used in an emergency or potential-emeregency situation, do not alter the jacket or remove the strap, as mentioned above the strap provides an important service. keep the jacket as is, and store somewhere close at hand.

If you want a jacket for regular use, get a different jacket, one designed for being worn, an offshore Type I is not intended for regular wear. Preferably get a nice inflatable, which is the right way to go, otherwise perhaps a Type III, intended for continuous use.

#8 ·
In Canada - & I assume the states - if you modify an approved jacket or PFD, they cease to be approved.
Up here you face a fine if your safety equipment does not conform to the requirements i.e. approved floatation devices etc.
I have the opposite issue. I have a Mustang hydrostatic self-inflating PFD. I wear it all the time when sailing and feel uncomfortable without it. I want to put a crotch strap on it.
I have a crotch strap on my BCD for scuba and have gotten used to that tingling feeling it gives me when I use it to float on the surface.

#16 ·
#14 ·
That suitcase thing is hilarious!
I just picked up the first season of Get Smart. The case looks like something they might have stuffed agent 13 into.
I like the window especially.
Funny stuff.

#15 ·
I have one of the inflatable types and have gotten so used to having it on that I now wear it as a matter of course whenever I'm on a boat. Sometimes people make fun of me, but I don't care - people go overboard because something went wrong; before there was time to don a vest. I'm so comfortable wearing it that I once left it on during the drive home from the marina. When people asked why, I said that there were a few bridges we had to cross and you just never know...........

#18 ·
May I suggest, as most life jacket manufacturers will, that you put on the jacket and jump in a pool or other warm water.

Do this with the strap connected, and with the strap not connected. It should take about two seconds for you to realize "Oh, THAT'S WHAT IT DOES".

Any part of a life jacket that is not underwater, is not providing flotation. So you want it to STAY as low on your torso as it can, and you can't do that without a crotch strap. (Which is what they are usually called.)

What you still won't have realized, is that if you are in the water and someone grabs the back of your neck (where there is often a lifting strap) to pull you out? Ooopsie, the jacket comes up over you arms and head and you are in the water while the jacket has been saved.

A crotch strap also prevents that from happening.

Obviously the guy wants to keep you. :)

Type1 PFDs are a royal PITA and the only time I'd put one on is if I expected to abandon ship or go overboard. I've used an inflateable with harness for many years (even before they were USCG approved) and that's a whole lot more comfortable--but requires regular inspection and maintenance. And costs way more up front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.