Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010

quicksilver512 is on a distinguished road
buying a boat without rigging

Just a quick question here from someone who dreams of purchasing a sailboat. (The colder it gets, the more I seem to be obsessed with the idea.) A Whitby 25 is available not too far from me. The boat has no mast, boom, sails, etc. Seeing as how this boat has been out of circulation for a while, is this a something that should stop my considering the boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2010

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
Building a rig for a boat can always be done. Buying one specifically intended for this boat in not necessary. That said, you may poop yourself at what it could cost. Talk to a rigger, find out what it might cost to rig one up. The mast section, the boom, and all the running rigging and standing rigging, ads up real quick.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
It can be done but as SVPrarieRose suggests the costs can add up quickly. If you are decently handy you can do a lot of it yourself (DIY).
People occasionally sell the rigging from a deceased boat on craigslist. There is a lot you need to know though to retro fit a different rig to a rig-less hull. Talking to a rigger is a good idea.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2010

MazeRat7 is on a distinguished road
I've only owned two boats, both Catalina's that have very active associations with lots of experts to lean on. I would not consider rigging my first boat unless your getting the hull for next to free and you've got a lot of time on the water to know what it is you ultimately want - in terms of rigging. Beyond rigging, there are many other things to consider. Cabin, Engine, Head, Electrical, etc. What are the chances a boat with no rigging has all that other "stuff" in working order ?

IMHO, the cost are going to pile up because there is so much detail and every piece of that detail cost lots of $$$.

Not trying to be discouraging, but a project boat is just that. A project. If this is your first boat, get one that is ready to sail. Your experience will be much better (again IMHO).

Peace,
Maze
1985 Catalina 36 Tall #404
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.
Old 01-06-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
If it is a Whitby 25 folkboat, there are lots of them around, a good support network, and lots of spares out there for them. Shipping costs may be prohibitive, but there is nothing spectacularly unusual about the spars or rigging that would prevent you from being able to have them made locally. Check with sailing clubs that are local to you, and see what if somebody knows somebody who may be able to help you out.
Old 01-06-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver512 View Post
Just a quick question here from someone who dreams of purchasing a sailboat. (The colder it gets, the more I seem to be obsessed with the idea.) A Whitby 25 is available not too far from me. The boat has no mast, boom, sails, etc. Seeing as how this boat has been out of circulation for a while, is this a something that should stop my considering the boat?
Buying a new mast, boom, rigging and set of basic sails would be very expensive, the least expensive way to get sails and rigging for this boat is to bay a different Whitby that has its rig and sails, and ...well..just go sailing. A boat like the one isn questions, is worth less than nothing.
Old 01-06-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver512 View Post
A mast for a 25' boat is easily about $3,000 new. Throw another $1500 into it for standing and running rigging. That's $4500 to go sailing and a lot of headaches. That hull must be beautiful if you're even thinking about it. I'd pass.
Old 01-06-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
There's an old saying about sailboats - they are very much like women - the rigging costs more than the hull.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 01-06-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
If you want a proper yacht, this will be the most expensive option. If you just want a boat, then you should be able to redo the rig for cheap if you are prepared to really scrounge. We are talking used rigging, hard to find, difficult to inspect, but usually real cheap. I have seen masts for 25' boats listed on craigslist for less than $500. After buying all the fittings, even if done in the most industrial way possible, you are looking at probably another $1000 and a whole lot of work. Hundreds of hours.

I would go ahead and do the project. At least there will be a nice boat out there instead of a pile of rigging and an old hull.
Old 01-06-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Don't believe these people that tell you it's going to cost $5000, that's for a new mast and all new yacht quality rigging done up by a pro. I am talking used mast, industrial galvanized rigging, and a lot of do it yourself work.

If you have a job, this is probably a bad idea.