Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
This idea is crazy...

Forgive me for not knowing the board layout, this post likely wound up in the wrong place.

My tin foil hat, and some research, tells me that increasing numbers of retiring Americans will seek a lower cost of living in Central or South America. Certain parts of the Caribbean as well. One of their biggest obstacles is moving their stuff.

I see a possible demand for a couple handy folks, with very ample cargo room, to move their stuff to locations that are harder to get their stuff moved to.

The pay would be erratic, probably low. The risk would be significant. The freedom should be pretty high.

What obstacle completely blows this idea out of the water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
When I was much younger, and was wearing the full tin-foil suit, I used to think it would be cool to have a 70 foot schooner to ply the Great Lakes (where I live). I'd haul cargo cheaply but slowly.

Now that I'm down to just the tin hat, and only on weekdays, I no longer entertain that fantasy.

You're right about the low pay. High risk? Sure.

The marketing, would be a killer. It would be hard to reach those people effectively. Not to mention getting them to buy.

If you're considering hauling cargo in that part of the world, you might want to hook up with some kingpins in the narcotics trade. High risk there, too, but the PAY!!!
Old 01-07-2010
GreenasGrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
When I was much younger, and was wearing the full tin-foil suit, I used to think it would be cool to have a 70 foot schooner to ply the Great Lakes (where I live). I'd haul cargo cheaply but slowly.

Now that I'm down to just the tin hat, and only on weekdays, I no longer entertain that fantasy.

You're right about the low pay. High risk? Sure.

The marketing, would be a killer. It would be hard to reach those people effectively. Not to mention getting them to buy.

If you're considering hauling cargo in that part of the world, you might want to hook up with some kingpins in the narcotics trade. High risk there, too, but the PAY!!!
I'm sure your were joking about the kingpins etc. I abhor narcotics and would not get involved in that trade for millions of dollars. A big thing stopping me from taking on passengers is that so many use narcotics and I don't want that on my boat.

I can sell. My degree is in marketing, I spent years in sales. Marketing the product would require a good web site and aggressive placement with the search engines.

The first thing I did when considering Costa Rica was to Google for moving companies. It is easy enough to find companies to move 40' containers to standard locations.
Old 01-07-2010

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
yep. And once the container arrives at the port and clears, you need something like a landing craft to get it the rest of the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I don't think you would get past the Longshore unions when you try to load up a sailboat with cargo. Sounds crazy to me. Not mention the size boat you'd need to do such a thing. Then there's insur, bonding, etc.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Tell us the areas you are talking about that are hard to reach.

What obstacles? lots.

1. insurance
2. liability
3. marketing
4. proper funding
5. lack of room in your proposed boat
6. time needed to get stuff to location
7. Customs will chew you up

Why would I choose you over a company that delivers multiple containers year round, has been in business for years, has proper insurance and affordable.

I think you're smoking crack with that tin hat of yours.
Old 01-07-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
It's been tried a few times with schooners. One was lost at sea, another did some deliveries off the coast of Maine, but was subsidized by enthusiasts. One more provides "educational programs" in LI Sound. I think the problem becomes getting the stuff from home onto the boat: load, truck, unload, reload. Too much labor. There are still places where sail delivers cargo, Indonesia and Haiti come to mind. But poverty there makes a very small wage viable. Also they probably are not licensed and insured.
I do love the idea though.
Old 01-07-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
You're absolutely right ... it's crazy. Maybe that's why it's so attractive to the denizens of this board.

I think that you'll find that the cost of shipping via more conventional methods is so cheap that you'll never be able to charge enough to make a profit.

Last edited by CoastalEddie; 01-07-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Just moved my "stuff" down island. Tropical Shipping did it with minimal hassle and maximum help.

If I had needed it moving on there were a myriad little island freighters just waiting to load and go.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no way I would have used a system like the one you are proposing when Tropical have such a good rep.
Old 01-07-2010
GreenasGrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
It's been tried a few times with schooners. One was lost at sea, another did some deliveries off the coast of Maine, but was subsidized by enthusiasts. One more provides "educational programs" in LI Sound. I think the problem becomes getting the stuff from home onto the boat: load, truck, unload, reload. Too much labor. There are still places where sail delivers cargo, Indonesia and Haiti come to mind. But poverty there makes a very small wage viable. Also they probably are not licensed and insured.
I do love the idea though.
So one needs to think more the South Pacific than South America. I have visions of striking submerged containers in the middle of the night....that would ruin your whole day.

I can't hardly imagine an American moving to Haiti. Of course, I have never been there.