Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010

fordo is on a distinguished road
6-pack "near coastal" definition

I'm thinking of applying for a 6-pack license but I can't find a clear definition of "near coastal" experience. Does the Chesapeake or LIS count or only offshore in the "real" ocean? Although I have a lot of experience on the Sound, NY Harbor and the Chesapeake I only have about a week of offshore experience. Can I get an inland license and then possibly get an upgrade, or do I have to go through the whole process again?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
The inland boundary line generally runs along the most offshore points in an area. For a place like Maine, this means almost everything is inland but as you get further south, more stuff becomes offshore. Unfortunately, I have never looked at where the inland line runs in your area.

Whenever you upgrade a license, you do not need to retest unless you are going for a larger license. You can upgrade from inland to near coastal simply by submitting time.
Old 01-07-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
I think Near Coastal for licensing purposes, is out to 200 miles. I would think LIS would suffice.

Bear in mind that the boat itself may not be permitted to go more than 20 miles offshore, before SOLAS regs require more lifesaving equipment than most 6-packs carry, like life rafts or life floats, not just lifejackets.

Last edited by nolatom; 01-07-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Specify your experience with a notation if necessary. It is not your responsibility to interpret the requirement to those that evaluate your experience; it's only your requirement to fully disclose your experience.
Old 01-07-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The answer is seaward of the line of demarcation. Long Island sound, NY Harbor and the Chesapeake don't count. If you sailed to Block Island that counts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The sea service form does ask where you sailed and how far off shore. Off shore is seaward of the line of demarcation.

http://www.qualitymaritime.info/CG_F...nce%20Form.pdf

Never Forgotten

Old 01-07-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Fordo,

Ok...so for the purposes of licensing there is a difference between the line of demarcation...or what we might call Colregs. And the boundary line.

The Colregs line is where the inland rules end and where international rules apply.

The " Boundary line " is a different line see attached

link.Grossetti License Consulting

If you sail out of Long Island sound to go to Block island you will cross colregs, but not the boundary line.

A Near Coastal Endorsement to a OUPV license requires 90 days of service beyond the " Boundary line" served any time...(uninspected vessels)

In addition to the other license requirements..you need a total of 360 days service...(1 year)
90 of those days must have recency...( last 3 years)

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/cfr/10.467pdf.pdf

License requirements

So to answer your question, none of the waters you mention count as beyond the boundary line but you can still obtain an OUPV inland and then upgrade when you are able to document near coastal time. You can also upgrade to Master Inland, get a towing endorsement, and a sail endorsement, and a Near Coastal Endorsement to a Masters License.

Tonnage is another discussion.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tempest; 01-08-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I think Near Coastal for licensing purposes, is out to 200 miles. I would think LIS would suffice.
This has to do with where you license is valid. In order to get a near coastal license, you need a certain number of offshore days depending on the license. To get these days, you just need to cross the boundary line at some point.

Unfortunately, the line is not terribly consistent with how far offshore it is so a person who can only get an inland license in some places might have a license that is useless in other places where they still possess the skills to operate a vessel safely.
Old 01-07-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
An OUPV " near coastal " license ( unless it is limited) allows you to take 6 passengers for hire up to 100 miles offshore (beyond the boundary line)
Old 01-08-2010

fordo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information... Very helpful