SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Let's see your boat's name

51K views 190 replies 121 participants last post by  Mormandeus 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread to warm me up on this cold January day. I enjoy the creativity of boat names, graphics and logos and perhaps you do too! So, let's see a picture of your boats name.

Here's mine:

See less See more
#126 ·
Her name has always been La Vita and we don't want to change it for many reasons, including the fact that I love it. However when we started looking for a boat we planned to name her with a blend of our names, Dan and Cynthia. Now I just want to place in smaller ******, above and to the left, "DanCyn" and below and to the right, "Away". Do you guys think this constitutes re-naming, or will the larger letters of her name allow us to continue to call her La Vita? La Vita is Italian for "The Life" btw.

#130 ·
Nice Jiffylube. I see in your avatar that Grasshopper has some small forward facing windows. We looked at a Norseman 447 that had that feature as well, and I really liked it.

#136 ·
Gee, I wonder who the boat is named for????

#140 ·
I just put the hailing port on after haulout. The boat is not documented, so port does not need to meet
USCG standards for size or style. The odd color is because the picture was taken in twilight - it's
actually a white hull.

#142 ·
Always looking for adventure, Jonny Quest was my childhood hero.

Later on we'll be adding graphics to the sides, and my wife is wondering what would look good on the main sail.
Hull graphics- gotta be a cove stripe incorporating the Quest Jet.

Quest Jet

On the mainsail- Bandit!

Weird story- On one of my "sailing soundtrack" instrumental mixes, sandwiched between Jan Hammer's "Evan" and Pat Metheny's "Chris" is a remixed version of the Jonny Quest theme- still a hip track.

#143 ·
I named my boat "Bootlegger" because I make my own Wines and Liquors onboard.

This is the only shot I have w/ the lettering on the sides (barely readable) but I like my Mermaid painting more :)

The artist did it for many bottles of my wine and some Liquors and is going to paint "Poseidon" on the other side in the spring. If you're in R.I. and need a graphic done, she is very reasonable w/ the $$.

Attachments

#153 ·
I am not an expert in this, but intuition tells me that if your logo creates enough confusion that you have to ask the question, then it is not a good idea. If you want to rename the boat, I suggest you do it above board, making the appropriate revisions in the USCG documentation (which I believe will incur some fees). Then you can design a logo that presents the name you really want to have with a fully legible font size.

In other words, you will not regret doing it the right way. The "gods of water are" not your only fear - save some fear for the USCG.

#151 ·
whats wrong with a reason to have a party and some cocktails? heck might as well have the ceremony. IIRC tradition dictates that you need to remove all documentation that contains the old name, but im not sure if you could just add your addendum to existing docs?

anyway, dont incur the wrath of Posiden... and have a great cocktail hour!
:p

#152 ·
Dan...

That's a really neat logo!!!

You'll be getting all kinds of opinions about whether it is or is not a re-naming and what protocol(s) will be required so as to not tick off the gods of the water.

My suggestion is to play it safe and invite all of us to the spring splash, serving the appropriate (top self) libations.

:)
Paul

#154 ·
Dan...
My suggestion is to play it safe and invite all of us to the spring splash, serving the appropriate (top self) libations.
:)
Paul
UHHH ditto on the 'invite all of us,' but you get this motley crue together for a 'top shelf libation' party and you could probably buy a new boat instead! :eek:

then throw a party to name her and still invite us for top shelf libations!!
:cool:

#156 ·
Welcome aboard MultihullGirl. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.