Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Before Buying, Look to Sell

With great respect, I do not like either for a first boat, and with experience,
you may find things not going as planned, and regret the inevitable unanticipated additional expenses.

My council would be to look at "Class" boats like a J-22, Lightning, etc. just for example.
Why?
Because they are popular and maintain resale value over time.
Because they have "Class Associations" for helpful advice and social benefits as well.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Wait to find something in solid fiberglass. Glassed over plywood is not the best material for a monohull sailboat.
Old 01-14-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Are you wanting to race or cruise?
Old 01-14-2010

Marklumb is on a distinguished road
My council would be to look at "Class" boats like a J-22, Lightning, etc. just for example.
Why?
Because they are popular and maintain resale value over time.
Because they have "Class Associations" for helpful advice and social benefits as well.

I know what you mean a well known boat is a good way to go - mind you in New Zealand where I live we dont have the same makers a atkinson is a pretty well knwon yacht over here i am just wanting a yacht that will be relatively easy to handle as my girlfriend has no experience in sailing and will be learning. I will mostly be cruising and once we get up to speed maybe try a few races.
Old 01-15-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
I might be tempted by the Atkinson, it being bigger and cruise-equipped with anchor roller, rod holders, and a comfy cockpit with easy water access. It is a LOT cheaper. The listing omits the build date (on purpose, perhaps?) and as you say, the construction looks reasonably well done, though not fancy. On the other hand, the girlfriend will need a door to the head - ESPECIALLY if you expect her to sail on a boat she can't stand up in down below. So... seems like your decision has been made for you. Maybe you can get them to come down a little on the price.
Old 01-17-2010
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Wait to find something in solid fiberglass. Glassed over plywood is not the best material for a monohull sailboat.
It's better than glass over balsa.
Old 01-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze_97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
It's better than glass over balsa.
Seabreeze—

You must not know much about cored laminate construction.

Marine plywood is the worst of all the core materials. It is heavy, unlike balsa or foam core materials. It has the worst characteristics of both balsa and foam core materials. Like balsa, plywood will rot when exposed to water for an extended period of time. Like foam, it can allow water to migrate and delaminate relatively large areas of the hull or deck in a relatively short period of time.

As core materials go, end-grain balsa is one of the best. The problem with using it is that the boat builder and the owner must take care to prevent water intrusion in to the core. If that is done, a balsa cored laminate is one of the strongest and lightest you can get.

Keelhaulin's point is valid... but a properly designed cored laminate can make for a very nice boat, that is stiffer, lighter and stronger than solid glass would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-17-2010 at 07:10 AM.