SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Comparing 2 Yachts

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The second boat appears to have a modern hull form and keel which is more likely to produce a more comfortable motion and better sailing ability than the first boat which appears to be a cruder design all around.

Jeff

#11 ·
Before Buying, Look to Sell

With great respect, I do not like either for a first boat, and with experience,
you may find things not going as planned, and regret the inevitable unanticipated additional expenses.

My council would be to look at "Class" boats like a J-22, Lightning, etc. just for example.
Why?
Because they are popular and maintain resale value over time.
Because they have "Class Associations" for helpful advice and social benefits as well.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Dick

#14 ·
My council would be to look at "Class" boats like a J-22, Lightning, etc. just for example.
Why?
Because they are popular and maintain resale value over time.
Because they have "Class Associations" for helpful advice and social benefits as well.

I know what you mean a well known boat is a good way to go - mind you in New Zealand where I live we dont have the same makers a atkinson is a pretty well knwon yacht over here i am just wanting a yacht that will be relatively easy to handle as my girlfriend has no experience in sailing and will be learning. I will mostly be cruising and once we get up to speed maybe try a few races.

#15 ·
I might be tempted by the Atkinson, it being bigger and cruise-equipped with anchor roller, rod holders, and a comfy cockpit with easy water access. It is a LOT cheaper. The listing omits the build date (on purpose, perhaps?) and as you say, the construction looks reasonably well done, though not fancy. On the other hand, the girlfriend will need a door to the head - ESPECIALLY if you expect her to sail on a boat she can't stand up in down below. So... seems like your decision has been made for you. Maybe you can get them to come down a little on the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.