Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010
NorthernneckLon

northernnecklon is on a distinguished road
need great surveyor in Mobile, alabama

Looking for a qualified marine surveyor in the Mobile Alabama area
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010

flatracker is on a distinguished road
Surveyor

There is a very good surveyor in the Mobile area. Unfortunately my mind has refused to go into gear this morning, so I can't get his name to rise to the surface. However, if you will go to Sailing Mobile I bet someone will give you a name. If my mind comes to life, I will get back and post up the name.
Old 01-15-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
I know what I would do if I had such a question. Keeping in mind that any deal can go sideways I would contact the folks at Turner Marine and ask who they would recommend. They have been a great help on that front, recommending people based on our needs and they have been spot on every time, for me. www.turnermarine.com
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 01-16-2010

ROSA is on a distinguished road
Contact Donnie Brennan at Diversified Marine near Dog River. Donnie knows it all in that area. Sure he has someone in mind.
Old 01-16-2010

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
I had the unfortunate experience of living in the Mobile area while overseeing the last three months of construction of my current ship and I got to know the area and the people well.

BE VERY CAREFUL of ANYTHING the good people in that neck of the woods tell you, particularly if they stand to make a profit from an underhanded deal or a kickback. Otherwise, the marine services folks (or anyone else as far as I can tell) will provide you VERY poor services and/or materials and charge you premium prices for it.

My advice is to NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THOSE PEOPLE!

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafrontiersman View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of living in the Mobile area while overseeing the last three months of construction of my current ship and I got to know the area and the people well.

BE VERY CAREFUL of ANYTHING the good people in that neck of the woods tell you, particularly if they stand to make a profit from an underhanded deal or a kickback. Otherwise, the marine services folks (or anyone else as far as I can tell) will provide you VERY poor services and/or materials and charge you premium prices for it.

My advice is to NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THOSE PEOPLE!

Good luck!

Wow, I am sorry that you were disappointed in the Mobile area.

I was in Turner Marine for two years for repairs after Katrina, on the hard and in a slip. I never considered myself taken advantage of by anyone at any time while there. I found the people in Dog River extremely nice, down to earth, very friendly and helpful.

Keith Turner at Turner Marine was and is one of my favorite people. He has gone out of his way many times to assist me, and work around my needs. He made it possible for me to complete my repairs and helped me set up a place to stay on ROSA while in the yard, on the hard, saving me expense and time.

Donnie Brennan and Tom Copeman at Diversified Marine are as good as it gets anywhere. Donnie was boatwright to the China Olympics and is an awesome person and a ranked sailor. Tom does woodwork like no one else I have seen. They do not do surveys at all but know the players in the area. I would trust the two guys with my life and infact do as they did most of our repairs.

That said, I was not overly impressed with the surveyor we used. We picked him on our own without consulting with others. We made that decision from here in Slidell, LA. He was OK and did a fair report but was not as responsive as I like.

Last edited by ROSA; 01-17-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2010

By the way, my son is a marine surveyor here in Louisiana. He is new at it though having recently graduated from Chapmans in FL. I will ask if he knows anyone in Mobile.
Old 01-18-2010
Colorado Sailor

MtnMike is on a distinguished road
We too stayed at Turner Marine while doing our initail refit on the boat we purchased there. I never felt taken either. I thought some of the work they did was a bit under the quality I'd prefer but then you get what you pay for. I did all my work myself but saw lots they did around. They were very helpful in everyway that I needed them though.
Anyway......back to the original question. We used a fellow named Lee Creekmore. Very thorough and a profesional report. Went on our sea trial and everything. Nice guy and a great sailor. Any place that sales sailing stuff can probably give you his number.
Old 01-18-2010

okawbow is on a distinguished road
Lee Creekmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMike View Post
We too stayed at Turner Marine while doing our initail refit on the boat we purchased there. I never felt taken either. I thought some of the work they did was a bit under the quality I'd prefer but then you get what you pay for. I did all my work myself but saw lots they did around. They were very helpful in everyway that I needed them though.
Anyway......back to the original question. We used a fellow named Lee Creekmore. Very thorough and a profesional report. Went on our sea trial and everything. Nice guy and a great sailor. Any place that sales sailing stuff can probably give you his number.
251-973-1846

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 01-18-2010

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool Plan B

Some decades ago, I bought a sail boat hundreds of miles away from home and had no idea how to find an unbiased and competent surveyor.
After some thought I called several large banks in that city and spoke with the person responsible for approving boat loans... and asked who they would trust before handing over any of the bank's $$. There was one guy on a couple of their short lists, and he did a very good job of surveying the boat we wanted to buy.
Each banker I spoke with was bemused at first by my idea of how to find a surveyor in a foreign city and then readily agreed with my methodology.

Well, it worker for me...

LB