Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
You've gotten some great suggestions

The folks who replied to your inquiry have offered some great ideas ... not one that I would disagree with. You've got a lot of sound choices, especially if you're looking to buy a used boat.

The Flying Scot came up a lot, and as a Scot owner, I would happily endorse it. If you find yourself leaning that way, feel free to send me a private message, and I'd be happy to tell you the thinking that led my to my choice, and my experience since buying it.

And come back to Sailnet any time ... obviously we're not all "big boat" guys around here.

Kurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The Flying Scot is a nice daysailer, but if you want a cuddy, then you might want to look at :

Siren 17,
West Wight Potter (WWP) 17 or 19,
Venture 17 or larger Venture 21 or the salty Venture 23,
If you can find one a Matilda 19 or 21 is very good value.

All of the above are decent sailors, trailerable, with a cabin that will accomodate your cooler, lunch supplies and a porta-potty. Trust me, sailing with your family is a lot more fun when there is a solution available before the problem arises.
Old 01-15-2010

sharps4590 is on a distinguished road
Goodness!!! Thanks for all the good replies. More info for digestion...and searching.

Showed my ignorance right off the bat, huh. I did mean "daggerboard" but as soon as I read sailingdogs post I could see that a centerboard would be better for my application. I remember frantically pulling up the daggerboard as we approached shore on Rich's little boat.

I don't know if sailing clubs are common around here. I'm certain there is one down at Stockton Lake as it's known for sailing. Maybe LOZ, but I'd prefer to stay as far away from there as possible, and Truman Reservoir. Something more to check out.

I can't thank all of you enough. Probably take me a week to sort through all the info....but the hunt is a large part of the fun.

Vic
Old 01-15-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lporcano View Post
I was not trying to knock Catalinas, in fact years ago I owned a Catalina 25 and spent up to two weeks at a time cruising it with my wife. However if you are sailing past J24s, especially in light air, that speaks more to your skills relative to theirs more than anything else.
I'd like to believe that, Len, but some of those guys were among the best I've known. The boat is underrated because it's rarely raced by a serious racer, and it's rarely prepped well to race, so you don't often see the boat sail up to it's ability. My boat was race prepped. It couldn't do everything as well as the Js, but it could sail to windward almost as well as them, and it could sail in light air as well. It couldn't stay with them downwind, but overall it sailed very well.
Old 01-15-2010

EETurner is on a distinguished road
Excellent Small Boat Resource

And more... Small Craft Advisor is a bi-monthly magazine that has featured small, trailer capable sail boats for the past 10 years. The current news stand issue recaps the editors favorite 12 boats of 60 previously reviewed and of course their all time favorite is - "that depends...". Most all are production boats with various hull construction, rig configurations, and some are even positive flotation. I found the magazine at West Marine, but if you can't find it they have a website at Small Craft Advisor - Small Craft Advisor. Also, not only is 'no boat too small', but I imagine that as you build experience and maybe take a class if needed, the land locked sailing will lead to some bareboating. I usually sail Lake Ray Hubbard outside of Dallas on our '83 Tanzer 27, but regularly bareboat Galveston Bay, and have bareboated San Francisco Bay, Tampa Bay, and Marina Del Ray to Catalina for 8 nights. My experiences are not impressive for this site, but it's real growth for me and has been a great time. Welcome to the site and God bless.

Last edited by EETurner; 01-15-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
You're right on target for the boat to meet your needs. Swing keel is as good even better than a dagger board. Size depends on the space you need. Don't terrorize you spouse with a boat aimed at racing. Perhaps the old standard Lightning is an open racer that's also a family boat. Look for a boat that has a class organization in your area. Besides comraderie, lotsa' advice they usually have outings ans social events, great new sailers. For small cabin trailersailers there's always the Catalina 22. They've been in production for decades, found nearly everywhere and have a strong class organization. The old O'day Mariner/Osprey was a great small cuddy cabin family boat.
Old 01-17-2010

Boy.....from all the info you fella's gave me and just rummaging around the internet I think I'm more confused than before!!! Sure has been fun and educational tho! I even have a couple lines on boats!

I have a question, if I may post it here. I remember back when I sailed Rich's little boat that sailing with the wind it was pretty slow going. Only as fast as the wind was blowing if I remember correctly. Is there a way to sail diagonally with the wind that is similar to sailing diagonally into the wind, ie, faster? I don't know if I'm even wording the question correctly....

Walt, what is a "class organization"? I don't know if we have those in the Ozarks.

EE.....could you define "bareboating"? I couldn't find a reference to it.

Vic
Old 01-17-2010
Poltergeist

Your recollection on sailing dead downwind is correct. Most boats go measurably faster on a broad reach ... check your sailing books for a definition or explanation.

A "class association" is owners of one-design boats, banded together to promote their particular boat, support one another and race against one another. (That's not a dictionary definition, by the way.) So I own a Flying Scot, manufactured by Flying Scot Inc. Our class association is Flying Scot Sailing Association. With most one-design classes, the association supports the builder and vice versa.

"Bareboating" is chartering a bare boat ... you provide the crew (no paid skipper or crew) and provisions.

Kurt
Old 01-17-2010

Thanks poletgeist...I'm grateful.

So there's no way to sail downwind to increase speed? It's one of the things we're just stuck with? Reason I ask is that on most of the little lakes I'll be sailing it's gonna be out with the wind one way and back the other. One way is gonna be really slow. Or, is that something nearly everyone is up against? Be easy with me...I am new!!!

Vic
Old 01-17-2010
Poltergeist

Well, it depends ...

A lot depends on the wind direction that day.

Some days, you'll have a refreshing beat up the lake close-hauled, followed by a slow dead run to get back. Other days, you might have a nice beam reach both ways ... great when it happens. :-)

When you get tired of running slowly before the wind, you get to learn how to fly a spinnaker ... that'll keep you busy for a while.

Don't fret about it (I'm sure you're not, really). Man, I remember a hot, humid July day when the wind dropped to nothing in mid-afternoon and it took me two long, sweaty hours downwind to get home. Went through all my gatorade. Almost enough to convince me to buy a trolling motor to push the Scot. ALMOST enough. :-)

Kurt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.