Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
CD's Trip South!

Hey Everyone! How are you? Anything exciting happen while I was away? I am sure everyone got along, no bannings, and no rule-breaking!

Well, I will try and recount a bit of our trip and some pics. A lot of it was very uneventful. Some of it was too eventful and your's truly made at least one bad decision (not the last, I assure you). So, here goes:

We dropped the boat in Pensacola. I will do a lot more writeups about this later, but let me tell you that Pensacola rates number one on my list of places to take your boat and outfit her. I have been to MANY ports, from San Diego, Houston/Kemah, obviously the Valiant Yard at Texoma, and all over southwest Florida, and I will tell you that these guys are top notch, extremely courteous, VERY NICE, and inexpensive. All those words do not typically go together, as anyone in boating knows. Again, I will do lots of pics and writeups on this later, but for those completing the circle and exiting Mobile, this is a great port to refit if you only want to push east a bit further.

The outfitting in Pensacola went fairly seemless. Nothing broke on the shipment. We chose Penbsacola because I figured that we might get stuck there for Christmas (which we did) and I wanted a nicer place to spend Christmas with the family than some other ports. And yes, for those interested, Santa Clause does make visits to boats! He took good care of the kiddos (and mom and dad's credit card). I seem to have some of those pics on my other camera, so we will have to hold off there.

After we had everything ready, Kris and the kids hoped in the truck and headed south to Fort Myers Beach with some good friends of ours that live on the beach. We came VERY close to taking them with us (especially Chase) as it looked like it would be a milk run across the gulf. In the end, we decided not to and simply dad and I went across. This turned out to be a very good decision as you will see shortly.

I tried to pick my weather window fairly well, and failed miserably. I headed out a tad bit too early. The weather called for a northern to come through after the high and clock the winds around to a favorable reach. Instead, the wind built and never clocked and the seas got nasty. By that time we were committed.

Here is a pic of us as we headed out. That is dad steering and Pensacola Bay in the background.

When we headed out the wind was blowing out of the east about 15-20k and the air temp was in the 50's I would guess. We elected to put up a full enclosure (except the back) and it turned out to be a life saver. I have become a huge fan of them overnight - although the seas partially tore some of it in the gale.

By that evening the wind was blowing sustained 25 and gusting to 30. By nightfall it was usstained 25-35, and we saw 50 knots - all out of the freaking east. The problem was that we were heading east too! We tacked and tacked countless miles. The seas grew nast and were breaking over our nose as we rushed down into the trough. We consistently took breakers on the dodger and about every fifteen minutes took one ON TOP of the bimini! I am sorry that the pics suck and they do not do the seas justice, but here goes with some lousy pictures:

Before Nightfall:

It was about this time we realized that the wind and weather had been very badly guessed by our friendly meteorologists, and wee were going to be in for a nice little gale offshore.

By nightfall:

The wind picking up and gusting way past 25, though I only shot 25 here.

These are pics right after the seas broke on our Bimini. The bimini held it, but everything leaked through. By that time we were soaking wet and getting beat up.

At the worst of it I ended up having a roller furling failure... but not the in-mast! The jib got backed as we tried to pull it in and I had to go forward and get her un-tangled from the roller furling. I honetly thought I was going to have to cut down the jib at one point as it was very hard to hold ontp the boat and get it unraveled while staying safe. Poor dad was sicker than a dog. trying to keep her running straight in a large rolling sea. But we did it and got her in and nothing broke.

Well, we survived the gale. We pulled into Panama City that next morning (we were not scheduled to make panama, but it is an awesome stop over guys for those who need to get a rest and it is an easy port to make even in a storm). Thumbs up to Panama City.

We got ourselves cleaned up and waited out the approaching front as it pushed in. Poor Mountain Mike (a member here and a super nice guy) got his hands full in that one.

Lots more to tell here, but let's just say that I will be making my way north to Panama City come Spring. It looks an awesome cruising cround and is pretty and relatively cheap. They cater to cruisers and it shows.

At Panama, on the back side of the low/Northern, we puched out. We may have pushed out a tad bit early, but I wanted to catch the back side and run with it and see how the boat would do offshore in that kind of seas and wind. She did awesome, awesome, awesome! Here, take a look at the speed:

That's right... 9.1 knots, but I saw 9.5 and we did a steady 8.5-8.8! We were surfing, Baby. And it was a nice, smooth easy run. It was colder than crap. I think it got below freezing both nights, but the trip was so nice and smooth that we alterered our course further south to make straight for Port Charlotte and avoided Tampa and the other cities all together.

Here are some much nicer and more memorable pics:

And some of my favorite pics of the trip:

This pic was offshore between appalachicola and Tampa, IIRC. It is Sunset (soon to go in our sunset pics thread). Nope... no green flash. I am beginning to believe that is a myth!!! Although dad did flush the toilet and we got some brown-green flashes... but I do not think that is the same.

First, beautiful sunrise... (the others were yucky and cloudy)...

I just thought this pic looked cool! The sun was lighting up the Jib brilliantly and I had to take a pic of it creatively. Xort would be proud!

Anyways, that is at least part one of the trip. I will try and get some more stories and pics up a little later. Everyone take care. I will reply back to all of you as soon as I can!!

Brian and family!

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
stay safe, and dry... well stay safe

edit i just noticed at least the grills stayed high and dry, gotta have priorities

Last edited by scottyt; 01-18-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: smart a$$
Old 01-18-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Awesome, thanks for the pics!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 01-18-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Damn! Cold and Wet, still looks like fun to me!!!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow!!!! Great write up and pics dude!

Yet another BFS!!!! Great job CD. Sounds like you guys did a great job of handling it. I asked Mtn to do a write up in the BFS thread when he gets the chance. It looks like the Gulfies are rockin' the house in 2010!

It's great to hear that the boat did so well. Go Catalina!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-18-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I feel best when you get hit with the crap first. Usually then you have got it out of the way. A small percentage of sailing is bad weather, so hopefully the best of times are right around the corner!...........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 01-18-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the update... nice shots. So.... are you saying that Catalinas CAN take it???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-18-2010

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing. Nice pics.
Keep looking for the Green Flash. You will see it later on a clear horizon.
Fair winds, Pierre
Old 01-18-2010
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for up-date. Good to hear from you Dad.
Old 01-18-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Good stuff CD. Did you avoid the cannon fire from the pirate ship in Panama City? We cracked up everytime we saw/heard it when we where there last April.

Anything worth seeing in Appalachicola for sailors making like landlubbers for for while? We'll be in Appalachicola and Indian Pass this coming April to soak up a few early season sunrays.

You can tell from the angle of your bow in some of those pictures that you were rockin' and rollin'. Any bets between you and your dad as to how the Tayana would have faired?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.