Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010

Yado is on a distinguished road
Puerto Rico anyone?

I sailed into St. Johns recently and met a teacher who told me the schools were not the best, though he himself was optimistic that he could change things. Kids took the ferry to St. Thomas daily for public school.
I've sailed from Newport to Grenada and points in between, Bermuda, Bahamas, etc., and not too long ago sailed from St. Petersburg, Florida, through the Keys to the Chesapeake.
I never thought I'd say this, but Florida could be terrific place to sail from as would be the coast of North Carolina. The choice depends on how you want to occupy your time when you're not sailing.
Kids are adaptable (though my son never took to sailing) and I'm glad I chose to live in a place that provided a lot of choices for him to grow as well as for my wife and I. Destination vacation spots that lead to permanent residency often turn into "ports of broken dreams". I read this on sailnet a long time ago so it's not original.
Puerto Rico Anyone? I know nothing about it except that I've been in the airport at least 10 times. It's a larger island and a US territory and I can only assume that there is something positive about the place. Could be wrong but I plan on visiting soon the check out the sailing scene.
I just returned from checking out the Seattle area and 9 months of rain and fog does not seem appealing and the waterways I saw were filled with huge logs. I'm going to give it a second look in the summer.
Old 01-31-2010

DNile is on a distinguished road
Ahoy Vegasandre,
I'm new to this forum and actually just registered a few moments ago!
i read some of the posts in this thread and wanted to share my opinion about the location where i am.
I currently live in Destin, FL. it's in the panhandle, in the middle between panama city and pensacola. i've moved up here 3 yrs ago from miami. i actually enjoyed living in miami while i was single, it's a very fun place, lots of diversity and just a fast paced place. i was not sailing at that time, but i did think it was a good place to own a boat. retrospectively, miami is well located for both gunkholing or blue water cruising. you can sail to the islands from there, key west or eastward towards the bahamas and beyond.
as far as raising a family with kids, i'm not sure miami is the best environment.
destin is a much smaller town, it's one of the best fishing spots in the gulf coast. i don't do much fishing myself, but i did enjoy it the few times i've been out with friends...the red snappers and the groupers were huge, i saw some of the biggest fish i've ever seen live!!!
as far as sailing, i think it's a decent home port. i own a small 19' shoal draft weekender and i think the area is perfect for small cruises. i also think there are a lot of places you can go to with a much bigger sailboat as well, whether it's hugging the coast or sailing accross the gulf to central/south america or the carribeans.
as far as whether is concerned, i know people freak out when they hear about hurricanes, i did too when i first moved to florida!, but you do get plenty of warning when one is coming your way...you don't get that type of warning before an earthquake! i personally lived in a country prone to earthquakes and i feel hurricanes are a lesser threat even though they might be more common.
the weather in the fl panhandle is not as tropical as in south florida, so it's not as humid, there are bugs, but not as bad as in the keys. spring and fall are just awesome, summer is hot and winter is generally mild. housing prices have come down a great deal and property taxes are lower than south florida.

cheers,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Nice post DNile.

I suddenly find myself in the market for investment homes in Florida. Though many parts of Florida have been devastated by the Great Recession, I feel that the resulting opportunities are very, very good.

Right now...Cape Coral and area looks alright.
Old 02-06-2010
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
Talking Florida Property

Yes I live in north Florida and My property has lost 40% of it,s value. By the time Oblamo is through with us it will only be worth 40% of it's value. It is a market down here where anybody with cash to spend will have lots of choices.But you have to ask yourself, Has it bottomed out yet. But then again why not have fun while you still can. SEE YA.
Old 02-06-2010

nissantwa is on a distinguished road
So. Cal or Florida

Pay attention for I am the voice of experience. Ahem hmnn... 7 years in Palm Beach, 15 years in San Diego. Real Estate Prices, Florida. Fishing, Florida. (I'm being brief) Hurricanes vs. Earthquakes, take California. No state income tax in Fl. but real estate taxes are a bit more than CA. & if you have a bank loan, the required hurricane insurance is REAL expensive. Sailing, now there's the rub. Scandalous to say but I don't think there's any place to sail in California. I mean, the islands, such as they are, Mexico but no fun bashing back and 1,000 day sails in and out of the harbor. That's it. In East coast Florida, the Bahamas beckon & points south are only a day apart. (until you leave the Exumas for that stretch to Dominicana & the crossing to Puerto Rico) Then 30 miles or less per leg for weeks, always reach port in time for your martini. (or more politically correct diet beverage) And they're not just islands, they're countries, some more enticing than others but always an adventure. Ca. West coast harbor winds usually don't pipe up until 10 am and then fizzle around 5 pm. Florida much the same until you're off into the trades, then you can crack on all sail into the judgement day. Intercoastal is nice for power boats and dinghies when the Ocean has foul weather.i Head North on that same channel and you can fetch Chesapeake Bay. Now that I've plugged Florida, I must say If I'd my druthers, and I don't, lottery winnings would take me to San Diego because I could afford it. But for the bargain shopper who needs seagulls close by, Florida's Atlantic coast will do.
Old 02-06-2010

Funsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Funsail Send a message via AIM to Funsail Send a message via MSN to Funsail Send a message via Yahoo to Funsail
We spend six years sailing Cal and Mexico, Loved every second of it. Ran out of new places to go.
We are trying East next, Bugs be damned.
Let you know how it goes.
Old 02-06-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
sailing in east gulf isnt bad--i like it--wanna relocate to there--just have to get my boat thru a canal....there are bugs, but that is why god made spray and screeens--heavy on the screens.lol.....persistant little sukkers.....but soo much sooo lcose--is incredible and fun...water is actually warm, also---i am in!!!!

Last edited by zeehag; 02-06-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Clearly Florida is the big winner for sailors. But Florida is not a small state. There are many cities on the coast. Which may beg the next question:

What cities currently offer the most attractive investments in property?

My vote would be the Cape Coral area. But thats just me. A typical home went from 150,000 to 300,000. Now it is available for about 70,000 or so. Perhaps the bottom has not been reached. The upside looks attractive however.

Last edited by adamsaquatics; 02-08-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsaquatics View Post
Clearly Florida is the big winner for sailors. But Florida is not a small state. There are many cities on the coast. Which may beg the next question:

What cities currently offer the most attractive investments in property?

My vote would be the Coral Gables area. But thats just me. A typical home went from 150,000 to 300,000. Now it is available for about 70,000 or so. Perhaps the bottom has not been reached. The upside looks attractive however.
Coral Gables...in Miami for $70k? Are you nuts? On the water, homes that area of Miami start with multiple millions and go up from there, even after the great recession.

Do you mean Cape Coral on the west coast of FL? Even then, I'd be hard pressed to imagine waterfront homes for $70k. Probably $300k needing work to $500k all done up....with direct waterfront access on a sheltered canal.

But, if you're seeing $70k for waterfront in Coral Gables...buy two!!!
Old 02-07-2010
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
Talking Waterfront property

I don't think that you can buy any waterfront property in Florida for $70.000 . Maybe a lot that needs work. Or you may find lake front property for that.Costa Rica maybe.