Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
And Banshi, before you say it, I know, you don't have anything against anyone, as long as they sound, and look, and act like you, right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your replies.

The Florida backers have stepped up to the plate and the Tally now stands

So CAL- 5
Fla-6
New Zealand-1

As far as the Kelp its :
No Big Deal- 2
Hate Kelp -1

I love Kelp When I am 30 miles offshore and schools of Yellowfin,Dorado and Yellowtail are under it - but at the beach or going around PT LOMA in the sailboat - I do have Kelpophobia.
Ya know and Diving in the stuff? Not sure with seals darting in and out and Great Whitey waiting for the seals on the outside .

Keep the suggestions coming. This is helping us out greatly .

thanks again.
Old 01-19-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
My family has been in San Francisco since the early 1800's. Having lived in California most of my life, the idea of moving to anywhere, but particularly to Florida, was all but unthinkable. Never-the-less, the business situation was such that we did move--in 1992--for what we thought would be 5 years, during which I had to commute back to our office in Santa Barbara every other week. After 5 years the question of whether to return "home" finally came up, to which the answer was a resounding "No Way, Jose!", even if I had to continue commuting.

Aside from the incredible taxes, excess regulations on virtually everything, crowding, traffic, obscene cost of virtually everything, cold water, absence of good cruising grounds, etc., etc. etc., once one gets away from the Peoples Republik of California for awhile, one realizes what a nutty place it really is, especially compared to southwest Florida. Yes, there are hurricanes, but one prepares and if one chooses one's location well, the risk is really no greater than the risks from earthquakes, wild-fires and land-slides in California.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-19-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Ya know and Diving in the stuff? Not sure with seals darting in and out and Great Whitey waiting for the seals on the outside .
I always felt safest diving IN the kelp forest. I've never seen any big sharks actually in the kelp. Although, I have heard of sea otters getting chomped by Great Whites. so maybe the kelp isn't as safe as I always assumed.

The seals are just out to steal their fish back from spear-fishers. Sea lions (particularly the "teenagers"), on the other hand, seem to get their jollies from playing "chicken" with divers. I've never had one actually bump me, but having a 300 lb sea lion swim right at you and peeling away at the last possible instant (close enough to feel its wake) is enough to make you warm up your wetsuit, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-19-2010

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Well, a while back I posted a question about moving to/living aboard in Florida. I live in L.A. and after I retire, I'll be living off my interest and would like to avoid state taxes. The responses I got (you can find it here if you hunt) were that the BUGS and HUMIDITY in Florida are truly horrible. This is a day to day living issue that didn't appeal to me at all. SoCal weather is really about perfect and I haven't seen ONE mosquito since I left Ohio 30 years ago (seriously!). My new plan is to keep my boat in Marina del Rey and buy a cheap (and getting cheaper) condo in Vegas and claim residency there. I figure I can always charter in Florida for variety, but for day to day living, SoCal is really the best. Also, once you choose a neighborhood to live in, you are pretty insulated from the traffic and crowds unless you have to drive a long way to work. And like someone else mentioned, you learn the right times to be on the freeway. As for the state of the state, I think all states are in big trouble right now (only to be further burdened by the requirements of the pending national health care bill), but I think Meg Whitman will win the governorship and she seems like she might be able to stop the bleeding somewhat. Lastly, if you're considering purchasing, don't be too eager. Values have further to go before they stabilize. The coming inventory of foreclosure sales is staggering. I've been an appraiser here for 18 years, trust me.

Good Luck, and don't forget to shut out the lights when you leave Vegas. My sister lives in Henderson and she says it's pretty empty there these days.

Mike
Old 01-19-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
You know there isn't really just one good choice. I've lived on my sailboat, cruising out of Florida, for 38 years and loved it all. I bet I could have spent all that time in California and been just as pleased. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 01-19-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I'm a native Californian who has lived in Florida for the last 17 years.
I love the climate in CA. Mostly northern CA. I hate the climate in FL anywhere. I hate the traffic in CA. I love the opportunities in FL. At least for the greater part of the last 17 years.
I would vote for FL just because the sail you would have getting here would be something you would remember for a life time.

Having said all that, the responsible part of my mind is saying that if you have a successful business, you might want to think about keeping it. At least for the short term.
Old 01-19-2010

bilgepump is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshi View Post
Government on the brink of bankruptcy (to "pay for it" you have to first "tax for it"), higher taxes, ridiculous government over regulation, higher unemployment rates, higher cost of living and the fact that Nazi Pilosi is from California........

Florida schools ranked 10th nationally last time I checked so I guess money probably isn't the answer after all. Now, having an inside track on what's actually going on, that's probably nothing to brag about.

Florida hands down, just avoid the Dade County (south eastern) area. No hable englishee............

Just for the record I do have family in the San Diego area and they have been there a long time so it can't all be bad..................
This is what they must mean by, there goes the neighborhood. Banshi, Your a bad dog. No more bones for you. I'm glad I don't have you for my neighbor. Ignorance is not a substitute for opinion.
Old 01-19-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
California has extremely dire financial problems. There is talk of closing the State Parks. The weather in S Cal is fantastic if close to the ocean.

Kelp is just a plant, macro algae really. One of the most useful plants as well. Complaining about kelp on the beach is somewhat akin to complaining about seashells on the beach.

The Florida Keys are just great for vacations.

I can't imagine leaving a successful business in this economic environment unless you can retire.

I am also considering many options for re-location. Aside from the state financial problems, my only real problem with S Cal is the sky high cost of housing and cold water. I far prefer S Diego to L.A.

As for being charged by Sea Lions? I've been charged by an Atlantic White Tip while participating in a Bahamas shark feed. Truly exhilarating.

Good luck with the decision. I'm trying to decide between a mono and a cat myself.
Old 01-19-2010

JDLG is on a distinguished road
Texas
its cheap, great weather (to me anyway) i like the heat, good economy, great coastal and bay sailing though passages to other parts a bit far unless you have the time.