Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLG View Post
Texas
its cheap, great weather (to me anyway) i like the heat, good economy, great coastal and bay sailing though passages to other parts a bit far unless you have the time.
Funny...what I was thinking as well. Corpus Christi/Padre Island have much to offer the sailor. I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2010

prophecy455 is on a distinguished road
I've lived in Florida most of my life. Orlando, Miami, and briefly in the Tampa Bay area. I spent most last summer in San Diego, my first time there. It has to be the most beautiful place in the US. Your points are well taken though and there is more boating here in Florida. I would live in Miami again if I could though. The bay, the keys, and the Bahamas are good enough to put up with the rude people. One thing you must do though. Spend some July August time here. It is the reason our population isn't like beautiful California.
Old 01-19-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the asylum prophecy.
Old 01-19-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy455 View Post
I've lived in Florida most of my life. Orlando, Miami, and briefly in the Tampa Bay area. I spent most last summer in San Diego, my first time there. It has to be the most beautiful place in the US. Your points are well taken though and there is more boating here in Florida. I would live in Miami again if I could though. The bay, the keys, and the Bahamas are good enough to put up with the rude people. One thing you must do though. Spend some July August time here. It is the reason our population isn't like beautiful California.
And that post was over 3.5 years in the making............
Old 01-19-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEddie View Post
Well, well...a racist calling others "Nazi". Why am I not surprised?
I have been away and have no clue what this business is all about, but it has no place in this thread. I am not sure it has a place anywhere on this site. Please drop it down a notch.

THanks.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-19-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
My vote would be to live in Naples or Marco Island in Florida. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, and the earlier comments about it being Miami are not really true...I'd call it a rednecky Miami. We do have a lot of "grift" and "hustle" here, con artists, etc.

Naples and Marco are where I'd move if I could get a good job there. Its newer, very upscale (like California) has great family environment and you should be able to buy a really nice place with the depressed market.

What does it for me are sailing opportunities/destinations in FL vs CA. For example, if you lived in S California:

CA:
Catalina Island
Mexico....????

FL if you lived in Marco:
Sanibel/Captiva
Fort Myers
Tampa...hell the entire west coast of Florida
Middle Keys
Key West/Lower Keys
Upper Keys/Biscayne Bay
BAHAMAS!!!! (literally MONTHS of cruising if not years)
Turks & Caicos
If you've got the time, the entire Caribbean is at your fingertips
Old 01-19-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I have been away and have no clue what this business is all about, but it has no place in this thread. I am not sure it has a place anywhere on this site. Please drop it down a notch.

THanks.

Brian
I would be glad to, barring any more racist posts. I realize that as an Admin., you have the power, and the responsibility, to moderate the tone of this discussion. On the other hand, you might want to look at the context before you do any more finger-wagging in my direction. If you really think that responding to a clearly racist comment is a greater offense than responding to such a post, I would be more than happy to go elsewhere.
Old 01-20-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Well it seems that FLA has taken the lead , most notably with a lean towards the SW Florida coast .Thanks Night owl ! we will definately take a look at it.

A little more about us.

we will be keeping our buisness in Vegas. I list Bank owned homes for the banks. So buisness is basically great - except for the temporary supply manipulation shutdown- but that will change shortly.

Mikein LA is correct though - prices still have a ways to fall especially in the high end areas. The So Cal- la Jollas, manhatten and newport beach,RSF, Coronado type areas are all basically toast(of course they all think they are immune to it)The low end and mid end not as much. The same can be said for the 1-5 mill $ Florida mcMansions with waterfront property(like the las olas, rio vista areas,Jupiter, cocunut creek etc. and their ridiculous 40-60k per yr property tax bills) they will plummet massively like the low end did the past 2 years. For that reason we will rent. You can rent a high end home(1 mill plus value) on both coasts for 40% of the same cost to own the same house. Owning does not make sense in this situation.

as far as the boat. we are definately going to get a cat -especially if FLa is our destination. Family likes the room and less heal aspect - with kids this is a big issue. i love my Catalina 2008 350 mk11 but it has regular fin keel with a 6' 8" draft so I would not be taking it to FLA -if that is our destination(if I had a wing keel I would consider transporting it via land)

Anyway that is that. Some more items of importance are year round baseball for the boys ,Wife must be happy,possible buisness opportunity,Fishing , great schools and great atmosphere to raise the kids( seems like sw fla is winning in that catagory as well) .

thanks

Andre
Old 01-20-2010

This is why SW Florida wins for me....look at ALL the anchorages And this is JUST MARCO ISLAND AND THE SURROUNDING AREA!!!!! (thank you ActiveCaptain)

So many places to explore here.

SE Florida isn't nearly as nice sailing. Its all ocean. Between WPB and Biscayne, the anchorages are about 10...and now many have mooring fields that charge you $ to use.

Last edited by night0wl; 01-20-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2010

BTW - if you're looking to keep your boat behind your house in Marco Island, I think Isle of Capri is where you want to be...thats where I was looking when homes were in the $600-$800k range. I think they're 1/2 that now for a wet lot which is 5 minutes from the Marco Island inlet. Watch the shallows though!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.