Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010

nightowle is on a distinguished road
Why not consider Ventura to Central Coast/San Luis Obispo? Probably better property prices than further south, good schools and easy proximity to Las Vegas. No real overnight sailing but great day sailing almost year round and similar weather to San Diego.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Why not consider Ventura to Central Coast/San Luis Obispo? Probably better property prices than further south, good schools and easy proximity to Las Vegas. No real overnight sailing but great day sailing almost year round and similar weather to San Diego.
Huh?

What about the northern Channel Islands from the harbors south of Pt. Conception; or Port San Luis, Morro Bay, and San Simeon if you start in either Port San Luis or Morro Bay? If one is really adventurous, the islands are a day's sail, or maybe a day and a night, from Port San Luis (you just have to get around Conception/Arguello).
Old 01-20-2010
smillinjack

smillinjack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEddie View Post
Just more government carp Eddie.
Old 01-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Well it seems that FLA has taken the lead , most notably with a lean towards the SW Florida coast .Thanks Night owl ! we will definately take a look at it.

A little more about us.

we will be keeping our buisness in Vegas. I list Bank owned homes for the banks. So buisness is basically great - except for the temporary supply manipulation shutdown- but that will change shortly.

Mikein LA is correct though - prices still have a ways to fall especially in the high end areas. The So Cal- la Jollas, manhatten and newport beach,RSF, Coronado type areas are all basically toast(of course they all think they are immune to it)The low end and mid end not as much. The same can be said for the 1-5 mill $ Florida mcMansions with waterfront property(like the las olas, rio vista areas,Jupiter, cocunut creek etc. and their ridiculous 40-60k per yr property tax bills) they will plummet massively like the low end did the past 2 years. For that reason we will rent. You can rent a high end home(1 mill plus value) on both coasts for 40% of the same cost to own the same house. Owning does not make sense in this situation.

as far as the boat. we are definately going to get a cat -especially if FLa is our destination. Family likes the room and less heal aspect - with kids this is a big issue. i love my Catalina 2008 350 mk11 but it has regular fin keel with a 6' 8" draft so I would not be taking it to FLA -if that is our destination(if I had a wing keel I would consider transporting it via land)

Anyway that is that. Some more items of importance are year round baseball for the boys ,Wife must be happy,possible buisness opportunity,Fishing , great schools and great atmosphere to raise the kids( seems like sw fla is winning in that catagory as well) .

thanks

Andre
In my opinion (stressing my opinion) Naples is still out of sight expensive and not real boater friendly and fewer places to go. Marinas are limited, live aboard marinas are very limited, and Marco was the center of the boat feud about anchoring that went all the way to the Florida Supreme Court (anyone please feel free to alter my facts as I am going off of memory and it has ben a while). Do not get me wrong, it is beautiful there and very exquisite - but was not my first choice and I do 'ok' financially. I know many Californians that have gotten sticker shock in Naples.

I would opt for Punta Gorda or if you like a more laid back atmosphere (but not as nice) Fort Myers Beach (FMB) where I am at. FMB is probably more of the red neck version of coastal living, so it may or may not appeal to you. It is an active community though. THe water here is not as nice as Port CHarlotte. I probably would not move north of Port Charlotte as it seems to get colder there than here and more likely to get a freeze.

Before you go and drop 1/2 million+ on a catamaran, I would sure figure out where I was going to live and start shopping the marinas for a place to put it. I love cats, but I do not own one because finding a place to moor it was very difficult. You might very well end up paying twice what a similar boat-length pays... if not more. This is assuming you can find a marina for it at all. The infrastructure does not support them well down here where marinas/slip rates are a premium. You might be better off getting a larger Catalina or if the heeling bothers you but you still want to live aboard and enjoy the lifestyle, get a good trawler like a Nordhavn, Selene or a Krogen. We almost did and I might still have going back.

Just some thoughts. WIsh you the best in your search. Please let me know if I can assist you with any questions.

All the best,

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLG View Post
Texas
its cheap, great weather (to me anyway) i like the heat, good economy, great coastal and bay sailing though passages to other parts a bit far unless you have the time.
There is absolutely no comparrison between Texas and Florida. I have done both and just moved from Texas. My opinion, but the water, islands, destinations, etc in Florida are exponentially better and more abundant. Come cruise down here a bit. You would love it. Traffic sucks though!!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
I would be glad to, barring any more racist posts. I realize that as an Admin., you have the power, and the responsibility, to moderate the tone of this discussion. On the other hand, you might want to look at the context before you do any more finger-wagging in my direction. If you really think that responding to a clearly racist comment is a greater offense than responding to such a post, I would be more than happy to go elsewhere.
Please check your PM as we will take this offline.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-20-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
In my opinion (stressing my opinion) Naples is still out of sight expensive and not real boater friendly and fewer places to go. Marinas are limited, live aboard marinas are very limited, and Marco was the center of the boat feud about anchoring that went all the way to the Florida Supreme Court (anyone please feel free to alter my facts as I am going off of memory and it has ben a while). Do not get me wrong, it is beautiful there and very exquisite - but was not my first choice and I do 'ok' financially. I know many Californians that have gotten sticker shock in Naples.

I would opt for Punta Gorda or if you like a more laid back atmosphere (but not as nice) Fort Myers Beach (FMB) where I am at. FMB is probably more of the red neck version of coastal living, so it may or may not appeal to you. It is an active community though. THe water here is not as nice as Port CHarlotte. I probably would not move north of Port Charlotte as it seems to get colder there than here and more likely to get a freeze.

Before you go and drop 1/2 million+ on a catamaran, I would sure figure out where I was going to live and start shopping the marinas for a place to put it. I love cats, but I do not own one because finding a place to moor it was very difficult. You might very well end up paying twice what a similar boat-length pays... if not more. This is assuming you can find a marina for it at all. The infrastructure does not support them well down here where marinas/slip rates are a premium. You might be better off getting a larger Catalina or if the heeling bothers you but you still want to live aboard and enjoy the lifestyle, get a good trawler like a Nordhavn, Selene or a Krogen. We almost did and I might still have going back.

Just some thoughts. WIsh you the best in your search. Please let me know if I can assist you with any questions.

All the best,

Brian
Brian -

I think you should look at Marco again...after this downturn. I'm seeing absolute capitulation in terms of waterfront home pricing. Remember, that in Souther California a 2 bedroom in any area worth living easily crosses $1MM.

For that kind of money, one can get a wet lot house in Isles of Capri.

And if you have a dock in your back yard, its a lot different living in Marco vs anchoring out there or having to find a marina to live aboard. I think the OP was planning on living on land anyway...not on the boat.

Absolutely agree...if you're living on the hook or are planning on living aboard at a marina, Naples/Marco are not too friendly. But if you OWN a home with waterfront, the place cant be beat.

I found Cape Coral and Punta Gorda to be a bit...(and I'm being candid and frank here...apologies in advance for insulting people)...a bit "country". Although I'm a bit sensitive to this as I've had lots of insults hurled at my wife and I because of ethnicity when we lived up in Jacksonville. Punta Gorda gave me the same vibe as Jacksonville.
Old 01-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Brian -

I think you should look at Marco again...after this downturn. I'm seeing absolute capitulation in terms of waterfront home pricing. Remember, that in Souther California a 2 bedroom in any area worth living easily crosses $1MM.

For that kind of money, one can get a wet lot house in Isles of Capri.

And if you have a dock in your back yard, its a lot different living in Marco vs anchoring out there or having to find a marina to live aboard. I think the OP was planning on living on land anyway...not on the boat.

Absolutely agree...if you're living on the hook or are planning on living aboard at a marina, Naples/Marco are not too friendly. But if you OWN a home with waterfront, the place cant be beat.

I found Cape Coral and Punta Gorda to be a bit...(and I'm being candid and frank here...apologies in advance for insulting people)...a bit "country". Although I'm a bit sensitive to this as I've had lots of insults hurled at my wife and I because of ethnicity when we lived up in Jacksonville. Punta Gorda gave me the same vibe as Jacksonville.
I have not been down there much since the downturn, but when I was last there, waterfront sailbaot access was 5-10 million, with the emphasis on 10. Nothing but Megayachts.

Bonita Springs might be a compromise.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-20-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Ok this Naples/Marco Island area is becoming very interesting.

As far as locations we kind of like upscale family type areas with a sense of community . I do not want to offend anyone here but I think more country type or areas considered red neck type locations would not be on the list for us(hey I am from the Jersey Shore originally)
Upon a quick search of Naples - sailboat type waterfront properties makes Ft Lauderdale seem low price. Marco Island seems to have a bit more wider range.However it appears a little isolated(from the google maps-never been there). We would be renting at first due to the continued crashing of the high end market.

thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Huh?

What about the northern Channel Islands from the harbors south of Pt. Conception; or Port San Luis, Morro Bay, and San Simeon if you start in either Port San Luis or Morro Bay? If one is really adventurous, the islands are a day's sail, or maybe a day and a night, from Port San Luis (you just have to get around Conception/Arguello).

Thanks we do like the Santa Barbara area a lot. Its mega bucks too.
However we definately like the slightly warmer water San Diego area more- closer to the Tuna too. Anything North of Pt Conception is too cold for me (wife might say othewise). And Sea conditions much less stable.