Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010

kelldog is on a distinguished road
This is a GREAT thread!
I live in the Huntington Beach/Long Beach area in SoCal and over the past 3 days we have seen severe weather (for us SoCal sailors) with more to come.
I am a transplant form South Carolina and have been here almost 30 years. I think I can count the major storms like this on one hand. 98% of the time SoCal is pretty nice overall but my peeve is the water is indeed cold. Sooo being a sailor i am also looking to make a move to Florida so that I can have a much broader sailing range and WARM water!
A topic like this lends itself to a bit of political opinion since the topic is the pluses and minuses of CA vs FL and I won't say much except to say CA is in the soup and perhaps worse is to come. Perhaps FL has issues too.
I love Catalina! I sail there as much as I can and last Aug. I sailed my 28ft Trimaran up to the Channel Islands. A great trip but the water is COLD! it did not keep me from jumping in but warmer is better.
So for me it will eventually be Florida and probably the Ft. Myers Area or Marathon. I want good water. At this moment I am looking to sail my Trimaran down through the canal and then over but as my plan developes I may find myself buying another Tri over in that area.
Work will be the issue. My background is R.E and Mortgage. (No, I have no plans to be a RE agent.) I will rent.

Anyway, did not mean to make this so long...that is my vote. Lot's of sailing venues; warm water = BIG for me.
Fair winds,
Kelldog
28/30ft Cross Trimaran
S/V Mystic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
It's been... Well, it's just been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
I have been away and have no clue what this business is all about, but it has no place in this thread. I am not sure it has a place anywhere on this site. Please drop it down a notch.

THanks.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEddie View Post
I would be glad to, barring any more racist posts. I realize that as an Admin., you have the power, and the responsibility, to moderate the tone of this discussion. On the other hand, you might want to look at the context before you do any more finger-wagging in my direction. If you really think that responding to a clearly racist comment is a greater offense than responding to such a post, I would be more than happy to go elsewhere.
The offensive part of Banshi's original missive, to which I was referring above, and to which there has yet to be a public Admin. response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshi
... just avoid the Dade County (south eastern) area. No hable englishee............
From Brian's PM to me, 0828 this morning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
He was not attacking anyone or getting personal, but you did and you took it on yourself to call him a racist and for the record, I do not find any of his comments racist.

I guess there's nothing left to say but "Adios".
Old 01-20-2010

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Ok this Naples/Marco Island area is becoming very interesting.

As far as locations we kind of like upscale family type areas with a sense of community . I do not want to offend anyone here but I think more country type or areas considered red neck type locations would not be on the list for us(hey I am from the Jersey Shore originally)
Upon a quick search of Naples - sailboat type waterfront properties makes Ft Lauderdale seem low price. Marco Island seems to have a bit more wider range.However it appears a little isolated(from the google maps-never been there). We would be renting at first due to the continued crashing of the high end market.

thanks for your help!
I have a friend that's the Episcopal priest on Marco. We visited once. From my understanding, it's a snowbird community, so kind of empty in the summer. The population triples to 45k in the winter. Housing is definitely more reasonable (than California for sure, probably than Miami). Upscale, good schools through middle school, then they're bused to Lely High School about thirty minutes off the island. His daughter is doing fine there and has a great group of friends. They're trying to get a charter high school built on Marco.

Isolated? Maybe, but 45 minutes to Naples. Close to the Everglades, and tons of isolated islands to cruise around.

That's all I know. Definitely an outsiders opinion. I try to imagine moving somewhere warmer than the Mississippi coast. Florida is expensive, but nothing like CA!

BTW here's a great demographic tool: MelissaData

Last edited by SailingStNick; 01-20-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I have not been down there much since the downturn, but when I was last there, waterfront sailbaot access was 5-10 million, with the emphasis on 10. Nothing but Megayachts.

Bonita Springs might be a compromise.

Brian
Remember when I said capitulation? You can get open water homes for $1.5MM all day long. And homes with smaller waterfront on canals for $500k. Those would need no work.

Homes that need a lot of work can probably be had in the $350k range.

Its even worse in Fort Lauderdale. I live west of I-95...with a 55' fixed bridge. Which means generally most sailboats 38' and less and even some 40's (Island Packet 40, PSC 40, Valiant 40 at low tide) and there are now tru foreclosures selling for $280k. That same house at the peak of this bubble sold in 2005 for $718k. True story...thats the house 3 doors down from me

What sucks is that I know I'm screwed for the next 20 years on the home we're in right now. But thank god, we dont have plans to move from here at all.
Old 01-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingStNick View Post
I have a friend that's the Episcopal priest on Marco. We visited once. From my understanding, it's a snowbird community, so kind of empty in the summer. The population triples to 45k in the winter. Housing is definitely more reasonable (than California for sure, probably than Miami). Upscale, good schools through middle school, then they're bused to Lely High School about thirty minutes off the island. His daughter is doing fine there and has a great group of friends. They're trying to get a charter high school built on Marco.

Isolated? Maybe, but 45 minutes to Naples. Close to the Everglades, and tons of isolated islands to cruise around.

That's all I know. Definitely an outsiders opinion. I try to imagine moving somewhere warmer than the Mississippi coast. Florida is expensive, but nothing like CA!

BTW here's a great demographic tool: MelissaData
Very true about the snowbirds and a great point. It pushed us out of this area many years ago. On our entire block, I think we were one of three full timers that lived in their houses.

I wonder: Is it different in Ft Lauderdale? I really do not know. I never have lived there, only visited. I wonder if Nightowl could comment?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-20-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2010

Jasper Windvane is on a distinguished road
Funny,, I've never thought of moving anywhere. I do like
visiting. I may drive to Florida in a week or so, stay for
a few weeks, but not actually move there. If you are sailing
a large boat, you are a citizen of the planet earth. I suppose
we all need a port on the stern though.
Old 01-20-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Windvane View Post
Funny,, I've never thought of moving anywhere. I do like
visiting. I may drive to Florida in a week or so, stay for
a few weeks, but not actually move there. If you are sailing
a large boat, you are a citizen of the planet earth. I suppose
we all need a port on the stern though.
I am torn between a new home in the Caribbean or a Cat most anywhere. So much freedom on a boat but my house is sooooo comfortable. Just have to ignore all the neo helicopters.
Old 01-20-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Very true about the snowbirds and a great point. It pushed us out of this area many years ago. On our entire block, I think we were one of three full timers that lived in their houses.

I wonder: Is it different in Ft Lauderdale? I really do not know. I never have lived there, only visited. I wonder if Nightowl could comment?

Brian
It really depends on the neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale. My neighborhood definitely has some snowbird homes, but they're definitely in the minority. I am, however, the youngest homeowner on my street by a good 20 years....no joke (I'm about 30).

Fort Lauderdale is a bit rougher in every way. Houses are older, streets are older...its just a bit more "gritty" than Marco Island. There are definitely "bad" areas in Ft. Lauderdale that you wouldn't want to be in.

Thats the struggle we have...our neighborhood is great (because its on water). But not 2 blocks away are rough streets, drunk day laborers in the parking lot of a gas station and prostitutes.

The best areas of Fort Lauderdale "area" in my opinion would be Victoria Park or even areas like Lighthouse Point. We're talking BIG money there for waterfront....still $1.5MM in most neighborhoods

Frankly speaking, I'm only in Fort Lauderdale because its SMACK DAB in the middle of my wife and my jobs. If I had my choice of places to live in SE FLorida, it would either be Boynton Beach or Delray Beach up north in Palm Beach County. I love the way things are still a bit undeveloped/beach shack like up there. My second choice would be Miami in the Brickell or North Miami Beach area.
Old 01-20-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEddie View Post
The offensive part of Banshi's original missive, to which I was referring above, and to which there has yet to be a public Admin. response:

From Brian's PM to me, 0828 this morning:

I guess there's nothing left to say but "Adios".

Spoken like someone who hasn't spent any time at all in Miami. I've been in Chinese restaurants where the second language was Spanish. No English at all.
Eddie, there's not a damn thing racist about it. The truth is more people speak Spanish than English in some places in Florida. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
You think it's racist to point it out?
Don't pick such petty battles.
Old 01-20-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
It really depends on the neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale. My neighborhood definitely has some snowbird homes, but they're definitely in the minority. I am, however, the youngest homeowner on my street by a good 20 years....no joke (I'm about 30).

Fort Lauderdale is a bit rougher in every way. Houses are older, streets are older...its just a bit more "gritty" than Marco Island. There are definitely "bad" areas in Ft. Lauderdale that you wouldn't want to be in.

Thats the struggle we have...our neighborhood is great (because its on water). But not 2 blocks away are rough streets, drunk day laborers in the parking lot of a gas station and prostitutes.

The best areas of Fort Lauderdale "area" in my opinion would be Victoria Park or even areas like Lighthouse Point. We're talking BIG money there for waterfront....still $1.5MM in most neighborhoods

Frankly speaking, I'm only in Fort Lauderdale because its SMACK DAB in the middle of my wife and my jobs. If I had my choice of places to live in SE FLorida, it would either be Boynton Beach or Delray Beach up north in Palm Beach County. I love the way things are still a bit undeveloped/beach shack like up there. My second choice would be Miami in the Brickell or North Miami Beach area.
Thanks Nightowl

Seems like Marco will be too isolated for the family-however we can still check out naples -since we will be renting anyway till prices bottom. As for as FTL , how do you like the las olas, rio vistas areas? We will be checking out Lighthouse pt also and some pts north. thanks