Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingStNick View Post
I have a friend that's the Episcopal priest on Marco. We visited once. From my understanding, it's a snowbird community, so kind of empty in the summer. The population triples to 45k in the winter. Housing is definitely more reasonable (than California for sure, probably than Miami). Upscale, good schools through middle school, then they're bused to Lely High School about thirty minutes off the island. His daughter is doing fine there and has a great group of friends. They're trying to get a charter high school built on Marco.

Isolated? Maybe, but 45 minutes to Naples. Close to the Everglades, and tons of isolated islands to cruise around.

That's all I know. Definitely an outsiders opinion. I try to imagine moving somewhere warmer than the Mississippi coast. Florida is expensive, but nothing like CA!

BTW here's a great demographic tool: MelissaData

Thank you for that Link - its the bomb! Man you can see what kind of town it is basically by looking at the demographics. Interesting the population make up of Naples(Its less diverse than Idaho) as compared to FtL, then you look to a place like weston and its over 50% families .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Thanks Nightowl

Seems like Marco will be too isolated for the family-however we can still check out naples -since we will be renting anyway till prices bottom. As for as FTL , how do you like the las olas, rio vistas areas? We will be checking out Lighthouse pt also and some pts north. thanks
Yeah - Naples is a bit more "busy" than Marco. In Fort Lauderdale, waterfront on Las Olas, Rio Vista and Lighthouse Point are some of the most expensive properties you can find. Great location, lots of nightlife...but difficult to get to from highways/lots of traffic (for work its tough)

East of I-95, you have to take the large boulevards to get east....Commercial, Sunrise, Oakland Park, Broward (the one you'd use to get to Las Olas), Davie. They all back up during peak rush hour periods. Especially bad in Lighthouse Point because I-95 goes a bit west so the drive off the highway becomes longer. Funny thing is, during non-peak hours...the drive is 5 minutes.

But if you can afford it and dont mind inner city issues like congestion, higher casualty insurance due to petty thefts, etc...those places are great.

Last edited by night0wl; 01-20-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2010

bilgepump is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLG View Post
Texas
its cheap, great weather (to me anyway) i like the heat, good economy, great coastal and bay sailing though passages to other parts a bit far unless you have the time.
I totally disagree. The heat is oppressive with the humidity. The bay water is just wrong unless you're around Corpus or south of. Off shore is like sailing in a washing machine most of the time. There's wayyy to many people and they cant drive ! On a positive note, the economy is strong. You get alot of house for the money. Good Tex-Mex food. Property taxes and utilities are astronomical. For sailing, Texas is low on my list.
Old 01-21-2010

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Spoken like someone who hasn't spent any time at all in Miami. I've been in Chinese restaurants where the second language was Spanish. No English at all.
Eddie, there's not a damn thing racist about it. The truth is more people speak Spanish than English in some places in Florida. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
You think it's racist to point it out?
Don't pick such petty battles.
I plan to move to the Miami area as soon as my wife finishes her BS and I know the area pretty will so I'm learning Spanish; if you want to live there, it only makes sense and if you're planning to cruise to Spanish speaking countries, it's just good manners!
Old 01-21-2010

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Can't believe there hasn't been more mention of Tampa Bay. There's a reason many major boat builders are based here; it's yachting central. I much perfer the west coast of Florida. The panhandle is pretty and the water is beautiful but they're in a whole different weather pattern and seem to get every storm that enters the Gulf. The east coast is just too hectic for me ................. I kinda like the laid back suncoast.

You can hardly go wrong from Tarpon Springs to Marco Island but there are some great deals on waterfront housing right now. We're on a 400' wide canal, 13' deep, very protected, about 5 miles to Gulf access, no draw bridges .... what could be better?

Don't like rednecks, just avoid Florida all together. I've actually grown fond of 'em and they can provide lots of entertainment, on and off the water.

I've only visited California a few times. First time was when we rode our motorcycles from Vegas. As we're riding into LA I thought I was getting sick ....... my eyes were burning and throat was feeling raw. I even pulled over on the freeway. My wife, who had lived in Cal. pulled up next to me and explained it was just the air quality and not me! Monteray, on the other hand, was fantastic, just a tad expensive!!!

DB
Old 01-21-2010

JLBJR is on a distinguished road
I am with you dirtboy, Tampa Bay is the place for me. We moved to South Tampa five years ago from the tri-state area and I never looked back. Take a trip here, spend time in South Tampa (I'm not too big on gated communities in the suburbs) and spend some time in St. Pete. Check out Snell Island and the downtown area. Before we moved we took several trips and stayed in short term corporate condos as a base, rented a car and searched from Tarpon Springs, to Naples. We chose So. Tampa for it's diversity, family owned restaurants (not racist, just don't like chains, sorry) and proximity to Hillsborough and Tampa Bay. When we got here we discovered the best part, the people!
Old 01-21-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
I'm not a huge fan of Tampa. Its kind of caught in the middle. Big city but not the biggest. Smaller town, but too congested to be really small. So one could say its got the worst of each category. Its actually kind of like Fort Lauderdale to that extent...which again, while I live there, I'm not the hugest fan for.

That being said, in a better economy than we have now, Tampa has good, non-service/non-tourist jobs...which Marco/Naples dont really offer much of.
Old 01-21-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I just want to point out very qickly that there are some very exclusive and very nice places in Fort Myers. GO look at Gulf Harbor. I suspect that is where our boat will be in a few days. Very, very nice. Reminds me more of Bahia Mar and West Palm. Gated entrance, etc. Tarpon Point is another - but I have not been there since the bottom fell out.

Just some thoughts.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-21-2010

Dulcitea is on a distinguished road
I've lived both. Despite its budget woes, California has a better school system. (Disclaimer: I didn't have kids when I lived in Florida. What I've heard of the schools is hearsay.) Of course, as with anywhere, you have to pick your community wisely. I am blessed to live in Coronado. It is a fantastic place to grow up. (Thank God for the Navy. They keep it real.) Another plus is that my college age kids are getting a great (and affordable---more money for the boat!) education in the University of California system. I love the tropical feel of Florida, its relative affordability and proximity to some great sailing destinations, but the kids come first for now, and suprise, suprise: sailing is not my teenagers top priority.
Old 01-21-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
ok kali and fla are similar in many ways despite the fact the natives of each will speak otherwise lol--i reside in kali so far and sailed a lot in fla---neither place has moorage or slippage available for newcomer boaters..is a wait list...LOL..in san diego is 120 yrs for many marinas and 3 yrs for moorings lol...texas might not be as cool as fla or kali but is a new area to consider as proximity to vegas and sailing are both to be considered---usually in san diego in winter there are big winds--this year gusts have been to 90 mph...more coming and better lol.......fla has its storms as well--same kind only add lightning lol.....there is traffic everywhere and there is congestion everywhere---i am trying to figger out where to relocate myself and formosa--lol----teejass or louseyanny / mississippi so far....or just go to caribbean and play in the warmer water......i like that idea.....LOL..very tired of storms and wind at the moment --and in the middle of both !!!! LOL.....only 30 kts wind at present lol....like no where else has storms lol.--are always a factor in figgering out places to stay /hide ...LOL....as far as schools for kids---none of the school systems is worth anything anymore---there are islands and oases in th edesert of dummyoing up of amerika, but , on t hewhole, school systems in kali sukk--my son was essentially denied education in kali school systems lol.....farther away from east coast--worse the schools...go figger...

Last edited by zeehag; 01-21-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: boatkat isunt gud speeler--speel chix broak...LOL

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.