Where to move to ? So Cal or Florida? - Page 8 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #71  
Old 01-21-2010
CaptainForce's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: living aboard since 1972
Posts: 1,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 9
CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok kali and fla are similar in many ways despite the fact the natives of each will speak otherwise lol--i reside in kali so far and sailed a lot in fla---neither place has moorage or slippage available for newcomer boaters..is a wait list...LOL..in san diego is 120 yrs..........
There is no wait list for fulltime, transient or live-aboard slips in NE Florida and Jacksonville's Stanton HS has been rated as one of the top five academic high schools in the nation for the last ten years. Reality trumps perception. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #72  
Old 01-21-2010
night0wl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,402
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 9
night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
There is no wait list for fulltime, transient or live-aboard slips in NE Florida and Jacksonville's Stanton HS has been rated as one of the top five academic high schools in the nation for the last ten years. Reality trumps perception. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Jacksonville gets cold in the winter. Not for a long time, but enough to make for several weeks of misery.
__________________
S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #73  
Old 01-21-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
There is no wait list for fulltime, transient or live-aboard slips in NE Florida and Jacksonville's Stanton HS has been rated as one of the top five academic high schools in the nation for the last ten years. Reality trumps perception. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

I can tell you that the Harborage marina in Saint Pete is at about 50% or less capacity as of yesterday when I walked the docks. This is a pretty nice marina with floating docks and a swimming pool. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of slips available in the Tampa Bay area.

A couple of years ago, there was a lot of talk about marinas closing and condos being built. Slips were scarce.

I guess there are some positive results from the economic crisis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #74  
Old 01-21-2010
adamsaquatics's Avatar
GreenasGrass
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Jacksonville gets cold in the winter. Not for a long time, but enough to make for several weeks of misery.
I suspect that the boards Canadians suspect that you might be a wimp.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #75  
Old 01-21-2010
vegasandre's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Coronado- Finally!
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcitea View Post
I've lived both. Despite its budget woes, California has a better school system. (Disclaimer: I didn't have kids when I lived in Florida. What I've heard of the schools is hearsay.) Of course, as with anywhere, you have to pick your community wisely. I am blessed to live in Coronado. It is a fantastic place to grow up. (Thank God for the Navy. They keep it real.) Another plus is that my college age kids are getting a great (and affordable---more money for the boat!) education in the University of California system. I love the tropical feel of Florida, its relative affordability and proximity to some great sailing destinations, but the kids come first for now, and suprise, suprise: sailing is not my teenagers top priority.
Yes you are lucky to live in Coronado, we love that place. prices are on crack still. still have 25-30% left to go from this point.


Well just so happens my wife goes over her moms house and her moms friend (who just moved to florida in the spring) is back in vegas for the week. She moved to Jensen beach due to a job transfer for her husband. This lady was bitchin a storm on how she hates it there. (she is also from NJ most of her life) hates the bugs ,rain,humidity blah blah blah(funny we had that in NJ too). Lucky I wasnt there. So my wife got a little off the Fla scene temporarily . But I am not .

I just dont want to end up moving real close to any of these guys below:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #76  
Old 01-22-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Natasha Luckett is on a distinguished road
This is my first post but I feel I know a bit about both. I grew up in Palm Springs and I lived in San Diego for 7years and worked for the San Diego Teachers Association. San Diego schools are great if your in the right neighborhood, which is usually way expensive. (Beach communities, or higher up Interstate 15) Also you have to keep your boat at a marina etc.. and drive to it. I love the weather in CA. There isn't any better and we've lived all over (husband in the navy) We just bought our 4th house we own three others (Norfolk, VA Guam, Bremerton, WA) We bought in a small community on Tampa Bay Apollo Beach. It's a wealthy community that has been hit hard by the collapse of the market. We picked up a 3000 sq ft house on a canal (no dock yet but we have the option) for 300K. The property taxes with the homestead exemption are way less than CA, and no income tax. The school district here is pretty good. A bit north in the Brandon/Valrico suburbs its a bit better. We're about 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. It's slower paced we know all our neighbors and most of them have school aged children. We're far enough out to not be impacted by the city issues but close enough to go to concerts we just saw U2, go to the theater, restaurants, and museums. I walk to the local nature preserve beach every day and we kayak right behind the house in the canals on the weekend. We have a 17 foot trailer sailer we can put in at a ton of boat ramps. There are lots of canals, access to jobs in Tampa, good schools, relatively low taxes don't forget the car registration part way cheaper here. Less congestion, it reminds me of San Diego in the early 90's before the traffic started getting crazy. The big negative here is the weather in the summer. I've lived in Guam so the humidity doesn't bother me. My answer to the hurricane issue. Bite the bullet get good insurance and find a well built house. I love California my family is still there but it's just to crowded and to expensive, I'll take a few negatives to have a slower more affordable lifestyle. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #77  
Old 01-22-2010
Cruisingdad's Avatar
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 9,904
Thanks: 3
Thanked 107 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha Luckett View Post
This is my first post but I feel I know a bit about both. I grew up in Palm Springs and I lived in San Diego for 7years and worked for the San Diego Teachers Association. San Diego schools are great if your in the right neighborhood, which is usually way expensive. (Beach communities, or higher up Interstate 15) Also you have to keep your boat at a marina etc.. and drive to it. I love the weather in CA. There isn't any better and we've lived all over (husband in the navy) We just bought our 4th house we own three others (Norfolk, VA Guam, Bremerton, WA) We bought in a small community on Tampa Bay Apollo Beach. It's a wealthy community that has been hit hard by the collapse of the market. We picked up a 3000 sq ft house on a canal (no dock yet but we have the option) for 300K. The property taxes with the homestead exemption are way less than CA, and no income tax. The school district here is pretty good. A bit north in the Brandon/Valrico suburbs its a bit better. We're about 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. It's slower paced we know all our neighbors and most of them have school aged children. We're far enough out to not be impacted by the city issues but close enough to go to concerts we just saw U2, go to the theater, restaurants, and museums. I walk to the local nature preserve beach every day and we kayak right behind the house in the canals on the weekend. We have a 17 foot trailer sailer we can put in at a ton of boat ramps. There are lots of canals, access to jobs in Tampa, good schools, relatively low taxes don't forget the car registration part way cheaper here. Less congestion, it reminds me of San Diego in the early 90's before the traffic started getting crazy. The big negative here is the weather in the summer. I've lived in Guam so the humidity doesn't bother me. My answer to the hurricane issue. Bite the bullet get good insurance and find a well built house. I love California my family is still there but it's just to crowded and to expensive, I'll take a few negatives to have a slower more affordable lifestyle. Hope this helps.
Great post - esp for a first one.

Brian
__________________
Sailnet Moderator



1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #78  
Old 01-22-2010
vegasandre's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Coronado- Finally!
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Thanks Natasha for that great post! Thanks to everyone here we have definately(me anyway) put the SW florida up to Tampa area on our check out plans.

as far as this thread goes its:

So Cal -9
Fla-16

If its So Cal we basically have narrowed it down to the San Diego Area and may go as far north as Dana pt. But would prefer Coronado(too expensive ) -1st , Del Mar/ Solano beach area 2nd(pretty expensive) , La Jolla (too expensive) 3rd . Carmel Valley 4th(great schools ) and Carlsbad area 5th -affordable. Pt loma would also be a possibility but schools are a issue(but my boats would be close)

We are going to really check out FLA. I am going in march (also taking a offshore class cat class with BWSS in Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas)

thanks for the input and suggestions . We love to hear what everyone is passionate about, and especially from the ones who have lived in a lot of areas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #79  
Old 01-23-2010
night0wl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,402
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 9
night0wl is on a distinguished road
I just spent some time in Lighthouse Point tonight....wow. Its still very upscale. My vote is now to hit to go to that area if you can afford it. But it seems like home on water are still $1MM+ there.
__________________
S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #80  
Old 01-24-2010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
idavis1maccom is on a distinguished road
Nc

We have lived in San Diego for the past 10 years. Originally from NJ. Last year we bought a lot on the water in River Dunes, NC. Check out the site at RiverDunes.com. We are moving for precisely the same reasons you listed. the Sailing and fishing are great. Downside is that you are a 2 1/2 hour drive from the big city of Raleigh. We view that as a plus. The environment far outweighs the distance. We are doing everything we can to build our house and move there. Greater than 50 % of the homeowners have boats that are kept at the Harbor in River Dunes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anchoring in Florida ebs001 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 36 05-03-2011 02:14 AM
Tense moments on watery home move (Florida Today) NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-27-2006 11:15 AM
Club Beneteau Florida Invitation Jeffrey123 Gear & Maintenance 0 09-11-2004 12:42 PM
Boot Key Harbor Marathon Florida lowryjim Living Aboard 3 11-11-2003 07:38 PM
CAL 28 & ICW FLORIDA TO CHESAPEAKE tsmith409 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 0 03-15-2002 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.