Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010

chrisnewtimes is on a distinguished road
Where to Live in Florida, try St Augustine

Not cheapest place but sensible prices, quaint pretty town, good hurricane history, good schooling and beaches.

Cheers Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2010
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
If it does not matter where you live, think of La Paz or a couple places in the caribbean
La Paz has fantastic sailing, and as the capital has a lot going for it. You can homeschool or get a tutor for the kids, and only a couple hours from LA. And its cheap.
I used to live on Antigua. If you don't insist on a waterfront home the home prices are really reasonable. Its three hours out of Miami. Also fantastic sailing.
If you like to stay in the US try St. John. Yes there are lots of expensive homes but older and simpler ones are less.
Old 01-27-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by idavis1maccom View Post
We have lived in San Diego for the past 10 years. Originally from NJ. Last year we bought a lot on the water in River Dunes, NC. Check out the site at RiverDunes.com. We are moving for precisely the same reasons you listed. the Sailing and fishing are great. Downside is that you are a 2 1/2 hour drive from the big city of Raleigh. We view that as a plus. The environment far outweighs the distance. We are doing everything we can to build our house and move there. Greater than 50 % of the homeowners have boats that are kept at the Harbor in River Dunes.

We do actually like the wilmington area in NC. used to vacation in hatteras when we lived in NJ. We were researching this area last year and the new developments seems great except that sales have been way slower than anticipated and in this area(wilmington and wrightsville) many of the subdivisions are having financial issues and there are already many foreclosed vacant lots that are now selling for half of what they sold for a few years ago. River dunes is a little north and I checked out the site last year and just checked it out again. looks very promising. I think water would be similar compared to San diego. Weather not as good but it was always on our list as a choice for areas for us.
Old 01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
If it does not matter where you live, think of La Paz or a couple places in the caribbean
La Paz has fantastic sailing, and as the capital has a lot going for it. You can homeschool or get a tutor for the kids, and only a couple hours from LA. And its cheap.
I used to live on Antigua. If you don't insist on a waterfront home the home prices are really reasonable. Its three hours out of Miami. Also fantastic sailing.
If you like to stay in the US try St. John. Yes there are lots of expensive homes but older and simpler ones are less.

I love St Johns. this actually would top (on my list) Fla and Cali. But I have to be practical. Have three kids. 2 play baseball a ton. St John is expensive-very expensive . Not too sure of schools there either I am sure would have to be private. Think most are on St Thomas.
Antigua - Like the Island , its a little rougher than the Virgins which is good in some aspects but not so in others.
LaPAz-never been there but It looks interesting -Not sure of the schooling either. sure it would have to be private and tutors etc. We like the Cabo area(at least I do for fishing). But I think we tossed out Mexico and costa rica or anything EXPAT until kids are out of school.
Old 01-27-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Virgins which is good in some aspects but not so in others.
Scatch Ca off your list, thar be no virgins here
Old 01-28-2010

jaasun71 is on a distinguished road
Florida

So many nice places to live in Florida, its hard to choose. If you want a cheap place to live with boat parking behind your house, try Palm Coast. Not many options for work but its a nice quiet community just south of Saint Augustine. New Smyrna Beach , Jupiter , Stuart , Ft. Pierce , and Palm Beach County are are very nice places also.
Old 01-29-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Split the difference and move to the Texas coastal area. No state income tax and lower cost of living that either FL or CA. You have an occassional hurricane, but fewer than FL and the Gulf is great sailing.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 01-29-2010
Bristol 29.9

Maverick1958 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Split the difference and move to the Texas coastal area. No state income tax and lower cost of living that either FL or CA. You have an occassional hurricane, but fewer than FL and the Gulf is great sailing.
California let me see: Every natural disaster know to man except hurricanes. The state is broke, the cost of living out of range, oh and TAXES out the wazoo!

Florida: Hurricanes, snow birds, and can't work a voting machines.

TEXAS: GOD's country!!!
Old 01-29-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hmmm, I have sailed those waters. So let me ask you fellows in Sea Lake: Where you spending your time anchored? How are the views from the power plant?

HEHE! This is just a joke. Texas is home, always will be. But comparing the grey/brown waters of Texas with no close anchorages or deserted islands and national parks (assuming no oil spill which I have done down on Padre... YUCK!) to the crystal blue or aqua green waters of Florida (or deep blue of California) and coral reefs (and shall I tell you that I was cold this morning at 76 degrees), is quite simply apple to oranges. Corpus and south is ok. Padre is ok. But look:

Tortugas. Huge living, abundant coral reefs and crystal clear water over 25-35' visibility.

Avalon, Catalina Island. Cold water, but pretty.

Sorry for the pic quality. If you don't like them, I can go out today and shoot some more... while I am sitting in shorts and a tank top, after my swim....

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-29-2010

Dont Mess with Texas

As far as texas is concerned- yes its has many economic benefits and such -but It is not on our short list
(sorry Texas dudes)
Of course there is not any perfect place and never will be. There is always some kind of trade off.
that perfect Utopia is but a fantasy -especially when there are 5 people in one family involved(each with different likes and dislikes)

But of course the most important issue is being happy.

I keep telling everyone do not move because you think it will make you happier-that is a recipe for disaster.
You must be happy with yourself and your life before you make any drastic changes. And if you follow that rule -the chances for increased success go up drastically. So that is my mantra and we are sticking to it.

Anyway we are going out to dinner tommorow night with a Couple who lgrew up in the Juno Beach area in FLA , lived in Vegas for ten years also and are moving back. We are going to get the lowdown of that area.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.