SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where to move to ? So Cal or Florida?

14K views 106 replies 43 participants last post by  joeleitz 
#1 ·
I would like all suggestions and opinions on plusses and minuses of both areas in regards to possible relocation.
I am married and have 3 kids ages 6-11

We own a successful buisness in Las Vegas but dont have to be here full time . We have been here 10 years (originally NJ) and need a change +dont want to raise kids any more here. . I own a Catalina 350 which is in San Diego.I love sailing and fishing equally. Though I love San diego and the boat is there ,which would make it a logical move- there are some things which Kind of annoy me in Cali- the traffic,some of the people, water not warm enough, limited destinations,state income tax . Being that I love warm locations - we have pretty much narrowed it down to San Diego/Orange County or South Florida for our next move.

From what I am seeing on S Fla so far:
plusses:
more tropical climate
better sailing destinations
no state tax
could possible have a sailboat and fishing boat docked in my backyard:)
great year round fishing

minuses-
bugs
humidity
more rain
hurricanes
higher property tax
higher insurance for boats and houses

As far as So Cal:
plusses-
great temperate weather
good surfing /fishing

minuses-
property values in good school areas still too high
general Keeping up with the Joneses mentality
water cold
lack of destinations
kelp everywhere
state income tax
state may be bankrupt.
traffic sux
may gray june gloom

We are looking for a place to raise the kids on or very close to the water.
we need great school area. I would like great sailing destinations and fishing destinations (mainly saltwater inshore and offshore). Somewhat affordable.
We will eventually have a mid 40's Catamaran and a 30 ft- ish sport fisherman. Also would like a good "atmosphere" for raising family.

all suggestions /opinions /experiances are very welcome!!!!
thank you in advance for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've lived in both Florida (Orlando) and Cali (Venice, Manhattan Beach) and can say that you hit the +/-s on the head. I've lived in most coastal parts of the country and can say that without a doubt, Orlando was the worst. I was never a fan of Miami either, or the keys. I spent about 7 months down in Marathon, FL and it stunk. I called it the TTP - Tropical Trailer Park (hope not to offend anyone too much).

Yea, California traffic is bad, but it's easy to get around it if you know how to beat the system. Manhattan Beach is not cheap, but its the best schools in the area and it's like living in a resort town (kinda like Vegas, right). SoCal is great in a lot of ways... but it is a rat-race, and it does get tiresome.

When I was in FL, I was on a lake wakeboarding, so I can't speak to sailing and fishing... I'm sure that's fantastic. There's not a lot of places to sail to in SoCal (comparatively) but that doesn't mean there's not enough for a lifetime of sailing available around here. And I can't think of a better time than catching Yellowfin Tuna down in Mexico, or exploring the channel islands extensively.

I dunno, if it was me - California wins, but that's why I live here I guess.

~mt

#4 ·
Do you guys really see kelp everywhere as a minus? It's not everywhere, and it's phenomenal to dive in.

I'm a native Californian. Every time I think about leaving I hear about somebody who left coming back. We do have our share of problems though.

#7 ·
There's not a lot of places to sail to in SoCal (comparatively) but that doesn't mean there's not enough for a lifetime of sailing available around here. And I can't think of a better time than catching Yellowfin Tuna down in Mexico, or exploring the channel islands extensively.
That's kinda how we feel, we could spend the rest of our lifes sailing this area while avoiding most ( not all ) of the BS

#8 ·
Thanks for the replys so far guys :

So far its :
So Cal 5
So Florida- Nil
New Zealand-1

A little surprised no Florida supporters yet. I am taking a Florida excursion to Ft Lauderdale in march - As I kind of like it there. Any other Florida suggestions from the Fla supporters? areas, schools, sailing,fishing

as far as the cali kelp:

"Do you guys really see kelp everywhere as a minus? It's not everywhere, and it's phenomenal to dive in.

I'm a native Californian. Every time I think about leaving I hear about somebody who left coming back. We do have our share of problems though."

I dont mind the kelp when I am fishing - It helps the cause greatly.Funny though when you need the kelp(offshore) its hard to find.
However seeing it plastered down every beach and in the surf makes me not want to get in the water too fast. Matter of fact except for surfing a few times there I have not went in yet ever .

#12 ·
I dont mind the kelp when I am fishing - It helps the cause greatly.Funny though when you need the kelp(offshore) its hard to find.
However seeing it plastered down every beach and in the surf makes me not want to get in the water too fast. Matter of fact except for surfing a few times there I have not went in yet ever .
Huh?

I've never really understood why some people are afraid to swim in and around kelp. It doesn't bite. And those old myths about getting tangled in a little kelp and drowning are just that, myths.

#9 ·
Is sailing your goal? This including being with the kids? If sailing is your passion, and you want easy cruising grounds that are beautiful.....S.Florida!

I am from the S.F Bay Area. I sailed the bay for nearly 2 decades. I sailed to P.V. and back to S.F. I was always in a hurry to get to the South Pacific, and then I discovered the real Bahamas. The outer islands, uninhabited islands, the Exuma Park & the Exumas themselves. I have sailed San Salvador, Abacos, the Banks, Tongue of the Ocean, and it's all 1/2-4 days away from Miami. We explored for 4 seasons, and have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Do you want solitude, hundreds of boats, small villages, etc. etc. Well the Bahamas has it all, and it's gorgeous. Don't think I have forgotten about the S.P. I am preparing to go there now, but if you want to be in the USA, and have a great cruising ground very near. S. Florida is it.

If you home school the kids you can stay away the whole school season, and enjoy the warmth the Bahamas have. Summer sailing on Biscayne Bay, and the Keys can be a treat. The bay is large, flat, good breeze, and tons of anchorages that are isolated, or populated.

Ca. has a ton to offer, and the weather is mostly ideal, but if sailing, exploring while cruising is what you seek. Then Florida is your choice, and all this from somone who misses Ca. Take a peek at my gallery. Most of it is the Bahamas:D ..........i2f

#10 · (Edited)
I'm in Florida more than anywhere else, but I do spend hurricane season in New England. Sure, Marathon, Miami, Lauderdale....are overcrowded and lacking because of their "resort" nature & Orlando isn't even on the coast. Florida has more to offer for a fulltime cruiser if you're at least 100 miles from "South Beach". Of ccourse, Imagine2frolic is right about Biscayne Bay and the Bahamas,- We just don't spend time in the big cities or the cruiser's destinations.
'take care and joy, Aythya crew

#11 ·
s.cal vs s.fla

for my money, Fl is way better than So Cal. I've lived both . Los Angeles is way to crowded, the only place to go is Catalina. My favorite is southwest Fl. I currently live is West Palm Beach but the area in sw Fl from Tarpon Springs all the way to the keys and the Tortugas is the best. The East coast is also good especially Stuart where you can connect to Ft Myers on the West Fl. coast via the Okeechobee waterway. Or go the the Bahamas if that is your preference. St. Petersberg on Tampa Bay is a sailors paradise as far as I'm concerned. Marinas with sailboats in them instead of power.
Richard

#13 ·
Go to SW Florida or move north or West Palm. I do not care for Miami at all, and Fort Lauderdale is basically Miami now. On the west side of FL, there are all kinds of cruising destinations and relatively uninhabited. The negative is that he bahamas are a haul, but for weekend outings (which is what you will mostly have if your kids are in school) there are a lot of things and places to see close by.

I could live anywhere and chose to make SW FL my base. And yes, I have sailed Southern California too and have been to Cat Island. It is pretty, but not right for me. I have NOT been to Mexico or the Baja which I hear is a great destination. However, aren't those types of runs a different conversation then what you will have time for or be able to do with kids in school and limited time off for long distance runs?

Just my thoughts - SW FL.

Brian

#14 ·
I agree with CD and Imagine....

We just moved to Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the panhandle. We're six miles from Seaside and Watercolor. The water is spectacular, but it's hurricane country here. The schools are fantastic. Bay Elementary is one of the best schools in the southeast. Seaside is a charter school, and it's fantastic. But I'm going to be a freaking mess during storm season next summer....

#17 ·
I agree with CD and Imagine....

But I'm going to be a freaking mess during storm season next summer....
My first year here during hurricane season I was like a cat on a hot tin roof. By the third year I was taking it in stride. I sat on Imagine during Jane & Frances in my second year. It's kind of like living next to the railroad tracks. After awhile you just get use to it like you do earthquakes, and I was living on Twin Peaks during the 89 :eek: quake..........i2f

#18 ·
Government on the brink of bankruptcy (to "pay for it" you have to first "tax for it"), higher taxes, ridiculous government over regulation, higher unemployment rates, higher cost of living and the fact that :puke Nazi Pilosi is from California........

Florida schools ranked 10th nationally last time I checked so I guess money probably isn't the answer after all. Now, having an inside track on what's actually going on, that's probably nothing to brag about.

Florida hands down, just avoid the Dade County (south eastern) area. No hable englishee............;)

Just for the record I do have family in the San Diego area and they have been there a long time so it can't all be bad..................

#22 ·
Thank you for your replies.

The Florida backers have stepped up to the plate and the Tally now stands

So CAL- 5
Fla-6
New Zealand-1

As far as the Kelp its :
No Big Deal- 2
Hate Kelp -1

I love Kelp When I am 30 miles offshore and schools of Yellowfin,Dorado and Yellowtail are under it - but at the beach or going around PT LOMA in the sailboat - I do have Kelpophobia.
Ya know and Diving in the stuff? Not sure with seals darting in and out and Great ****** waiting for the seals on the outside .

Keep the suggestions coming. This is helping us out greatly .

thanks again.

#24 ·
Ya know and Diving in the stuff? Not sure with seals darting in and out and Great ****** waiting for the seals on the outside .
I always felt safest diving IN the kelp forest. I've never seen any big sharks actually in the kelp. Although, I have heard of sea otters getting chomped by Great Whites. so maybe the kelp isn't as safe as I always assumed.

The seals are just out to steal their fish back from spear-fishers. Sea lions (particularly the "teenagers"), on the other hand, seem to get their jollies from playing "chicken" with divers. I've never had one actually bump me, but having a 300 lb sea lion swim right at you and peeling away at the last possible instant (close enough to feel its wake) is enough to make you warm up your wetsuit, if you know what I mean.

#23 ·
My family has been in San Francisco since the early 1800's. Having lived in California most of my life, the idea of moving to anywhere, but particularly to Florida, was all but unthinkable. Never-the-less, the business situation was such that we did move--in 1992--for what we thought would be 5 years, during which I had to commute back to our office in Santa Barbara every other week. After 5 years the question of whether to return "home" finally came up, to which the answer was a resounding "No Way, Jose!", even if I had to continue commuting.

Aside from the incredible taxes, excess regulations on virtually everything, crowding, traffic, obscene cost of virtually everything, cold water, absence of good cruising grounds, etc., etc. etc., once one gets away from the Peoples Republik of California for awhile, one realizes what a nutty place it really is, especially compared to southwest Florida. Yes, there are hurricanes, but one prepares and if one chooses one's location well, the risk is really no greater than the risks from earthquakes, wild-fires and land-slides in California.

FWIW...

#25 ·
Well, a while back I posted a question about moving to/living aboard in Florida. I live in L.A. and after I retire, I'll be living off my interest and would like to avoid state taxes. The responses I got (you can find it here if you hunt) were that the BUGS and HUMIDITY in Florida are truly horrible. This is a day to day living issue that didn't appeal to me at all. SoCal weather is really about perfect and I haven't seen ONE mosquito since I left Ohio 30 years ago (seriously!). My new plan is to keep my boat in Marina del Rey and buy a cheap (and getting cheaper) condo in Vegas and claim residency there. I figure I can always charter in Florida for variety, but for day to day living, SoCal is really the best. Also, once you choose a neighborhood to live in, you are pretty insulated from the traffic and crowds unless you have to drive a long way to work. And like someone else mentioned, you learn the right times to be on the freeway. As for the state of the state, I think all states are in big trouble right now (only to be further burdened by the requirements of the pending national health care bill), but I think Meg Whitman will win the governorship and she seems like she might be able to stop the bleeding somewhat. Lastly, if you're considering purchasing, don't be too eager. Values have further to go before they stabilize. The coming inventory of foreclosure sales is staggering. I've been an appraiser here for 18 years, trust me.

Good Luck, and don't forget to shut out the lights when you leave Vegas. My sister lives in Henderson and she says it's pretty empty there these days.

Mike

#27 ·
I'm a native Californian who has lived in Florida for the last 17 years.
I love the climate in CA. Mostly northern CA. I hate the climate in FL anywhere. I hate the traffic in CA. I love the opportunities in FL. At least for the greater part of the last 17 years.
I would vote for FL just because the sail you would have getting here would be something you would remember for a life time.

Having said all that, the responsible part of my mind is saying that if you have a successful business, you might want to think about keeping it. At least for the short term.

#29 ·
California has extremely dire financial problems. There is talk of closing the State Parks. The weather in S Cal is fantastic if close to the ocean.

Kelp is just a plant, macro algae really. One of the most useful plants as well. Complaining about kelp on the beach is somewhat akin to complaining about seashells on the beach.

The Florida Keys are just great for vacations.

I can't imagine leaving a successful business in this economic environment unless you can retire.

I am also considering many options for re-location. Aside from the state financial problems, my only real problem with S Cal is the sky high cost of housing and cold water. I far prefer S Diego to L.A.

As for being charged by Sea Lions? I've been charged by an Atlantic White Tip while participating in a Bahamas shark feed. Truly exhilarating.

Good luck with the decision. I'm trying to decide between a mono and a cat myself.

#32 ·
I've lived in Florida most of my life. Orlando, Miami, and briefly in the Tampa Bay area. I spent most last summer in San Diego, my first time there. It has to be the most beautiful place in the US. Your points are well taken though and there is more boating here in Florida. I would live in Miami again if I could though. The bay, the keys, and the Bahamas are good enough to put up with the rude people. One thing you must do though. Spend some July August time here. It is the reason our population isn't like beautiful California.

#36 ·
My vote would be to live in Naples or Marco Island in Florida. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, and the earlier comments about it being Miami are not really true...I'd call it a rednecky Miami. We do have a lot of "grift" and "hustle" here, con artists, etc.

Naples and Marco are where I'd move if I could get a good job there. Its newer, very upscale (like California) has great family environment and you should be able to buy a really nice place with the depressed market.

What does it for me are sailing opportunities/destinations in FL vs CA. For example, if you lived in S California:

CA:
Catalina Island
Mexico....????

FL if you lived in Marco:
Sanibel/Captiva
Fort Myers
Tampa...hell the entire west coast of Florida
Middle Keys
Key West/Lower Keys
Upper Keys/Biscayne Bay
BAHAMAS!!!! (literally MONTHS of cruising if not years)
Turks & Caicos
If you've got the time, the entire Caribbean is at your fingertips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.