Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Where to move to ? So Cal or Florida?

I would like all suggestions and opinions on plusses and minuses of both areas in regards to possible relocation.
I am married and have 3 kids ages 6-11

We own a successful buisness in Las Vegas but dont have to be here full time . We have been here 10 years (originally NJ) and need a change +dont want to raise kids any more here. . I own a Catalina 350 which is in San Diego.I love sailing and fishing equally. Though I love San diego and the boat is there ,which would make it a logical move- there are some things which Kind of annoy me in Cali- the traffic,some of the people, water not warm enough, limited destinations,state income tax . Being that I love warm locations - we have pretty much narrowed it down to San Diego/Orange County or South Florida for our next move.

From what I am seeing on S Fla so far:
plusses:
more tropical climate
better sailing destinations
no state tax
could possible have a sailboat and fishing boat docked in my backyard
great year round fishing

minuses-
bugs
humidity
more rain
hurricanes
higher property tax
higher insurance for boats and houses

As far as So Cal:
plusses-
great temperate weather
good surfing /fishing

minuses-
property values in good school areas still too high
general Keeping up with the Joneses mentality
water cold
lack of destinations
kelp everywhere
state income tax
state may be bankrupt.
traffic sux
may gray june gloom

We are looking for a place to raise the kids on or very close to the water.
we need great school area. I would like great sailing destinations and fishing destinations (mainly saltwater inshore and offshore). Somewhat affordable.
We will eventually have a mid 40's Catamaran and a 30 ft- ish sport fisherman. Also would like a good "atmosphere" for raising family.

all suggestions /opinions /experiances are very welcome!!!!
thank you in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2010
One foot on the ground.

lahso is on a distinguished road
I've lived in both Florida (Orlando) and Cali (Venice, Manhattan Beach) and can say that you hit the +/-s on the head. I've lived in most coastal parts of the country and can say that without a doubt, Orlando was the worst. I was never a fan of Miami either, or the keys. I spent about 7 months down in Marathon, FL and it stunk. I called it the TTP - Tropical Trailer Park (hope not to offend anyone too much).

Yea, California traffic is bad, but it's easy to get around it if you know how to beat the system. Manhattan Beach is not cheap, but its the best schools in the area and it's like living in a resort town (kinda like Vegas, right). SoCal is great in a lot of ways... but it is a rat-race, and it does get tiresome.

When I was in FL, I was on a lake wakeboarding, so I can't speak to sailing and fishing... I'm sure that's fantastic. There's not a lot of places to sail to in SoCal (comparatively) but that doesn't mean there's not enough for a lifetime of sailing available around here. And I can't think of a better time than catching Yellowfin Tuna down in Mexico, or exploring the channel islands extensively.

I dunno, if it was me - California wins, but that's why I live here I guess.

~mt

Everything looks like a nail when you're a hammer.
Old 01-18-2010

bilgepump is on a distinguished road
Florida is beautifull. I don't care for the stress associated with the coming of hurricanes. That leaves California as the logical choice for me.
Old 01-19-2010

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Do you guys really see kelp everywhere as a minus? It's not everywhere, and it's phenomenal to dive in.

I'm a native Californian. Every time I think about leaving I hear about somebody who left coming back. We do have our share of problems though.
Old 01-19-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
New Zealand?
Old 01-19-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
I'm pulling out of this kettle of fish... self-censorship is the better part of valor.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 01-19-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
There's not a lot of places to sail to in SoCal (comparatively) but that doesn't mean there's not enough for a lifetime of sailing available around here. And I can't think of a better time than catching Yellowfin Tuna down in Mexico, or exploring the channel islands extensively.
That's kinda how we feel, we could spend the rest of our lifes sailing this area while avoiding most ( not all ) of the BS

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-19-2010

vegasandre is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replys so far guys :

So far its :
So Cal 5
So Florida- Nil
New Zealand-1

A little surprised no Florida supporters yet. I am taking a Florida excursion to Ft Lauderdale in march - As I kind of like it there. Any other Florida suggestions from the Fla supporters? areas, schools, sailing,fishing

as far as the cali kelp:

"Do you guys really see kelp everywhere as a minus? It's not everywhere, and it's phenomenal to dive in.

I'm a native Californian. Every time I think about leaving I hear about somebody who left coming back. We do have our share of problems though."

I dont mind the kelp when I am fishing - It helps the cause greatly.Funny though when you need the kelp(offshore) its hard to find.
However seeing it plastered down every beach and in the surf makes me not want to get in the water too fast. Matter of fact except for surfing a few times there I have not went in yet ever .
Old 01-19-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Is sailing your goal? This including being with the kids? If sailing is your passion, and you want easy cruising grounds that are beautiful.....S.Florida!

I am from the S.F Bay Area. I sailed the bay for nearly 2 decades. I sailed to P.V. and back to S.F. I was always in a hurry to get to the South Pacific, and then I discovered the real Bahamas. The outer islands, uninhabited islands, the Exuma Park & the Exumas themselves. I have sailed San Salvador, Abacos, the Banks, Tongue of the Ocean, and it's all 1/2-4 days away from Miami. We explored for 4 seasons, and have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Do you want solitude, hundreds of boats, small villages, etc. etc. Well the Bahamas has it all, and it's gorgeous. Don't think I have forgotten about the S.P. I am preparing to go there now, but if you want to be in the USA, and have a great cruising ground very near. S. Florida is it.

If you home school the kids you can stay away the whole school season, and enjoy the warmth the Bahamas have. Summer sailing on Biscayne Bay, and the Keys can be a treat. The bay is large, flat, good breeze, and tons of anchorages that are isolated, or populated.

Ca. has a ton to offer, and the weather is mostly ideal, but if sailing, exploring while cruising is what you seek. Then Florida is your choice, and all this from somone who misses Ca. Take a peek at my gallery. Most of it is the Bahamas ..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I'm in Florida more than anywhere else, but I do spend hurricane season in New England. Sure, Marathon, Miami, Lauderdale....are overcrowded and lacking because of their "resort" nature & Orlando isn't even on the coast. Florida has more to offer for a fulltime cruiser if you're at least 100 miles from "South Beach". Of ccourse, Imagine2frolic is right about Biscayne Bay and the Bahamas,- We just don't spend time in the big cities or the cruiser's destinations.
'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 01-19-2010 at 11:11 AM.