Abby Sunderland sets sail--Anyone have a problem with this? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Who cares if anybody has a problem with it? She should have the freedom to do it or die trying. Who are you to stop her?

(not directed at anyone in particular)
Old 01-26-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
I think that the greatest danger she faces comes not from the sea, in that boat, but from the 2 legged sort.
Yeah but if she carries a decent selection of guns and ammunition she should be OK. There's surely enough advice on both this and the safety-at-sea topic on this board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2010

bensweden is on a distinguished road
I have not understood why people are so worried about pirates at sea. There is probably higher risk for her to be a crime victim if staying in Los Angeles where she lives.

Sweden is considered a safe country but there was a murder on a 16 year old girl in my home city a few weeks ago. Los Angeles is probably less safe than that.

/Ben, Sweden
Old 01-27-2010

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
ok

As long as she has the knowledge...adventure of this sort is best served young, although crusty as I am, I love a good scare!

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
Old 01-27-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensweden View Post
I have not understood why people are so worried about pirates at sea. There is probably higher risk for her to be a crime victim if staying in Los Angeles where she lives.

Sweden is considered a safe country but there was a murder on a 16 year old girl in my home city a few weeks ago. Los Angeles is probably less safe than that.

/Ben, Sweden
ben - I can guarantee you that LA is far more dangerous than that. Roughly 381 murders in 2008 (a little more than 1 a day). Of course, the crime rate has really dropped this year - so maybe it's getting better.

All in all, I think I'd rather hang out in Sweden...at least in the summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-09-2010

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
It's like I told a buddy of mine about golf. He didn't want to embarrass himself in front of all the good golfers. "Maybe we should just stay home until we get good." You get good by doing. On the other hand I'm too much of a worry wort to let a kid take off on a trip like that. They obviously have more guts and skill than I do. They have my respect. Best of luck.

Last edited by oldironnut; 03-09-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
This is hilarious:

Abby Sunderland - Concocted History's Most Extreme Plan To Get Out Of A Summer Job | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-15-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Our childrens high school teacher points out that recent research using MRI has shown that teen frontal lobes are not fully developed until they are in their 20's. That means functions such as self control, judgement, and organization are not completely done cooking. The teachers advice is that the parents need to be their teens frontal lobes until they develop. My only worry is that these kids can't fully make sound choices about going to sea. And once at sea, add in other factors that may make difficult situations worse: fatigue, fear, texting girlfriends every 5 min... OK maybe not fear.
Old 12-15-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Most sailors in the past began their careers when they were about 10-Nelson became a midshipman at this age-Cooke was a similar age.
There were certainly very young female powder monkeys on Nelsons ships at Trafalgar whether unofficially or not!
My only concern is whether these events are orchestrated by the parents for their own glory! like the junior Miss World pageants!
Old 02-03-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Just curious, anyone ever hear what happened to her boat? Is it stil floating around? I looked on her website, and the last position recording was 6/17/2010. I wonder if anyone has salvaged it yet.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.