Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
Not the way you want to spend your day!

Yes, that's about 8 inches of water over the floorboards! The owner lives out of the country. It took a while before we could track down someone with a key to the boat.

We have a number of liveaboards here who watch after one another's boats, but this seemed to happen very quickly, although the source of the leak is still a bit of a mystery. It appears that the boat has a bit of a continuous leak, and the shorepower was either turned off or a breaker tripped, and once the bilge pump drained the batteries, down went the boat.
Beneteau 423 #310
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I can relate..

Mine did the same thing 1 week after I purchased it and had a yard working on the survey list in preparation for the sail home..They re-splashed It, motored it across the harbor and in 6 hours it looked just like your pictures.(I wasn't there)..Im still dealing with that and another yards blunders..I may never have yard Jockeys work on my boats ever again...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 01-28-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Chek for obstructed anti-siphon devices, particularly on the heads discharge lines.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-28-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Seen that and more on Oh Joy before. It sucks....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Seen that and more on Oh Joy before. It sucks....
Did you say "Oh ****"?
Old 01-28-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Eeek. Good on you, for trying to help out the owner.
Old 01-29-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
On an earlier thread I posted that an automatic bilge pump switch just means that your boat won't sink with fully charged batteries. This is a case in point.

Good work on saving the guy's boat, I hope my neighbors are as vigilant and I reckon I may keep a sharper eye out in future as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-29-2010

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
This is a good time to kinda remind people that flooding happens. We all rely on DC only systems and guess what - most of us do not have a system DC wise in terms of batteries to handle these kind of issues. If your no the docking type - better be a live aboard. If not - have an AC (when docked AC primary - DC secondary and back-up) system ready to take up the load. Biggest thing I see lacking in boats..

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-29-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
How about batteries that are kept fully charged by a strong solar array? If your solar array charges at the same rate as your bilge pumps consume, then you are OK. Theoretically.

Of course, one could always have crummy weather. Thus killing the solar array for a spell.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.