Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010

nnn is on a distinguished road
Downside to moorings?

Hello - First post,,, long time lurker.... Great site...

Question; I am working on selling my powerboat (slow market) and will be in the looking for a mid 30's Tartan, Sabre, etc for coastal cruising South Florida and Bahamas...

There are some very nice mooring available in Key Biscayne and I was just curious as to the pros/cons.... How do you clean bottom, battery life, no power for AC, etc...

Again, great site and thank you in advance for your responses...

Regards,

NNN
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Many of us prefer moorings. I would much rather be on my mooring in a severe storm than 90% of the docks out there. As for cleaning the bottom you can dive anywhere, mooring or slip. For charging a solar panel or wind gen will keep the batts topped up.

Draw backs might include no running water for washing the boat, getting to and from the boat and no shore power.

Benefits include less wear & tear on the hull from fender & dock chafe, privacy and the ability to sail on and off the mooring and never having to run the motor for a short time then shut it down, which is not god for engine longevity. Also high storm security if you have the proper mooring and chafe gear. Some marinas will be better protected than a mooring but IMHO having been up and down the entire East coast, marinas are far and few between. Docks and pilings can do a number on boat hulls...

Above all else it boils down to personal preference. Many marina's remind me of glorified trailer parks so I prefer the privacy of my mooring but that does not mean everyone will...

Pros & cons to each....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-29-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Around here the only downside is cleaning as there is a mad rush on weekends to get a free spot on the town dock with running water to wash off this weeks bird poop before you sailing guests show up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-29-2010
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
The Mooring balls at Coconut Grove: Since this is my area and I know a few folks out there I will try to answer some of the questions he has. First, Maine Sail is right about all his points. However, Coconut Grove marina docks are pretty good if that is what you want. I would go there myself vs Rickenbacker Marina where I am at but Coconut Grove is not well protect during a hurricane.
1. The mooring field is not protect at all from wind and waves. Very rolly. Since the bay is very shallow, wakes from powerboats travel far. The mooring field is in the prime location of where all powerboaters go up and down Key Biscayne bay.
2. Birds Birds Birds.. They love sailboats out there. Mega bird doodies. Cleaning them can be a chore.
3. Bottom cleaning - Can dive the boat right there to clean the bottom. Water is fairly clear. However most of us go to Nixon's point or Elliot Key, anchor out to clean our bottoms.
4. Water and pump-out are transported out to the mooring field everyday upon request.
5. Water taxi until 6pm.
6. Great views of city, sunrises and sunsets.
7. Great restaurants and nightlife in the immediate vicinity.

If you are really considering the mooring field, I would definitely consider the sailing club just south of Coconut Grove ( next door). They own the protected mooring field next to the marina. I believe the cost is a lot cheap in the long run.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 01-29-2010

nnn is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys..... Appreciate the info....

Now I just need to sell the fishing boat and find a nice shoal draft rig.....
Old 01-29-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
A downside to a slip is that diving to clean the hull can be hazardous to your health. There are cases where poor A/C grounding on an adjacent boat caused electrocution of a swimmer in a nearby slip. Also, many marinas have nasty stuff in the water that I'd rather not have floating into my mouth.

I only clean the hull in open water while at anchor or while drifting.

If you have kids or teens, a slip is nearly mandatory. As our daughter grew (she's now 15), we anchored out less and less frequently. It was one of our favorite things to do, but kids crave diversion and we often search out marinas with a pool. That's not to say that she isn't very comfortable swimming in 60' of water, but girls like to sunbathe near boys. Two more years and she's in college and we're anchoring out again (and saving all those transient slip fees)
Old 01-29-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Mosquitos are poor flyers so 50 metres out from shore will see you mosquito free unless it is flat calm.

Also there is more privacy on a mooring.
Old 01-29-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
TQA - You've not met Chesapeake Bay mosquitoes. They can fly for miles.
Old 01-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most mosquitoes don't move or fly more than 300 yards from where they were hatched as a general rule. This is one reason being anchored out will often result in fewer mosquitoes...since they only breed in stagnant water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
TQA - You've not met Chesapeake Bay mosquitoes. They can fly for miles.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2010

klubko is on a distinguished road
My personal bit. I live on a 30' in Hong Kong, writing my thesis, commuting to office etc. that means I sit by the computer all day long, in other words I'm not on holidays.
I have two 75W solar panels and AirX generator. I never had to start the engine and rarely my batteries drop to less like 70%. I was dinghy and boat bottom twice a month, well sometimes less... I was little worried myself when I was about to move on the boat, but I have only looked back two or three times in the beginning, when I ran out of water, when I was sitting awake the whole night during typhoon and when I had to swim back when I missed last sampan (long story). My world rocks all the time and I got used it
Good luck