Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2003

uri is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

We are a family of four, two kids of 7 and 9 years and we own a 40 feet sailing boat, an Elan 40, a cruiser racer. Now we are thinking on getting a dog, if we can a Golden retriever. My big concers are toward sailing how dogs do in a sailing boat? In summer we spend about three weeks on the boat and I am getting concerned....PLease any advice will be really apreciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2003

sprega is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

Don''t know about Golden Retrievers but my Yorkshire Terror loves to sail. He get really excited when he know that he is going to HIS boat.
Old 02-01-2003

peterpan2k is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

Hi
For many years my Pom Ziggy loved our boat. We have been live aboards for several years now and even spent 3 month on the hook in San Diego. He loved the trip every day to land to do his business. Except for the day he fell of the bow of the dingy and went for a swim.

its really up to the individual dog. i''ve seen many different breeds react unpredictably for no apparent reason. A fellow docker has a mastif that is quite comfortable dock side but freaks when underway.
Jim
Old 02-01-2003

svsheela is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

I have a cockapoo who has been sailing/cruising with me since she was 8 wks,old, she''s now 8 yrs. old. She loves it. I have her trained to do her business on the bow. Sounds gross, but I always have the cleanest bow in town. I have a bucket, scub brush and spray bleach. I couldn''t handle a Lab. only because I couldn''t lift one into my dingy, I''m a single-handed sailor. Sheela
Old 02-02-2003

uri is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

Ok, as I thought only the positive experience is replying....what about the no nos ....well as a kid I had always dogs....and now the turn towards our kids is ours..is nice to have a dog. Is a lot of work and discipline...and in a boat I cannot imagine...one of the things that I read that a big dog my be able to climb by itself to a dingy or to the boat (with a swim platform) is there more experiences about that ?
Old 02-04-2003

gmaurer is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

I got a Golden 5 years ago (my second).
I bought my first sailboat two years ago (28'' Ericson).
Once the Golden got used to sloping floors unders sail, he settled in like a pro.
General rule with Goldens: they''re people dogs, and want to be with you no matter what you''re doing.
Old 02-04-2003

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

Just make sure not to have an accident where the pup gets dunked too early. We have a lab/border collie mix who jumped off a dinghy when she was only a few months old. She''s now 11, absolutely wonderful dog, but unfortunately is scared to death of water.
Old 02-04-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

Ahoy Dog Lovers, For the last time ,I''m not kidding ,If I see any four footed crew members in Charlotte Harbor or anywhere else I happen to run across your silly souls I will not only eat your dog I will quite possible eat you as well. I am amazed that you think I would be interested in hearing or smelling your furry critters while I am trying to enjoy a nice harbor, dock or beach. You have just stepped in a whole different pile of ..... to be sure. The Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-14-2003

swood is on a distinguished road
Dogs on sailing boats

Attention BigRed56, no one cares what you would be interested in hearing or smelling. I think there are many more responsible dog owners out there than irresponsible ones. For future reference, I suggest you reserve making such ridiculous statements which clearly have no place among a group of people who are simply trying to share positive experience and advice. The cruising lifestyle, as I understand it, usually focuses on fraternity and helpful attitudes. It seems to me that you just don''t get it...
Old 02-14-2003
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Dogs on sailing boats

That may be two of us that don''t get it, I''m with the Pirate on this one! Until such time that a dog can trim a sheet, haul in the anchor, steer a straight course, work on the diesel, navigate or just get me a cold beer from the galley, I question what good are woofers on a boat!

Sofi excluded!