Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: 2000 Catalina or 1989 Pearson
2000 Catalina 250 Keel (25') 4 44.44%
1989 Pearson Sloop 27' 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Are you planning on leaving the boat in the water year round? Its much easier to launch and retrieve and a Catalina 250 than it will be the Pearson. If less hassle is a factor then I would go with the Catalina.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2010

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Can't comment on the Pearson, but I did own a 250 for a while. It has some good features--it probably has the biggest cabin of any 25 footer, and it also has a huge cockpit with stern rail seats. It benefits from an excellent owner's associate with a great web forum. There aren't many of them with diesel engines; most have outboards. The diesel would be great though--it'll be super under power, and add weight that the boat could use. The 250 doesn't have the best steering system in the world. It tends to have a lot of weather helm, and there's not enough leverage built into the stock wheel system, which makes it hard to fight. While the cabin is huge (for a boat of its size), I had trouble fitting into and using the head, but I'm 6'5", so there ya go.

If I were you, I would look into a Catalina 27, 28 or 30.
Old 02-02-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Both are fairly good boats, but it depends on what you're planning on doing with the boat. If you're planning on leaving it on a mooring or in a slip, I would go with the Pearson, since it is a larger and roomier boat, but isn't really a trailerable boat.

IIRC, the Catalina is a trailerable, and if you're looking to avoid the costs of a mooring or slip, it would be a better choice. However, I'd point out that getting in an afternoon sail is much simpler if the boat is kept on a mooring or in a slip. I have a trailerable boat, but keep it on a mooring during the season, so I can just row out to it and go sailing... rather than having to launch, rig, sail, unrig and haul the boat each time.

They're both fairly comparable in terms of quality, but the Pearson is going to be more comfortable IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmary View Post
Hi, My husband and I are looking to buy our first sailboat. We'd be sailing on the Chesapeake near the South River/Annapolis. We're looking at used boats for our family of 4.

We've found two recently that we like - a year 2000 Catalina 250 keel (25') and a 1989 Pearson Sloop 27'. However, as you would expect - I like one and my husband likes the other.

Can any one offer their thoughts on a 1989 Pearson vs. a 2000 Catalina? Does the extra 2 feet (25' vs. 27') really make much of a difference? We know Pearsons are well built boats, but in terms of quality are we better off getting a newer model boat (the Catalina), or a boat with a solid reputation for its construction?

thanks!
Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-02-2010

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Headroom

When checking out the interior, keep your noggin in mind.

The Catalina's pop top may increase headroom to over 7 ft., but the fact of the matter is that owners seldom go to the trouble of raising it, except for extended stays at anchorage (in good weather).