Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010

oldironnut is on a distinguished road
Not one to belittle the true dangers of sailing. I have been in danger while sailing so I know a little bit about it. Danger notwithstanding I think sailing (within ones ability) is worth the risk. I was being flippant when I mentioned bed and sailing and certainly did not want to offend anyone. Back to flip, some combinations don't seem like they would work. Aligators in bed or in a sailboat. But if thats what they like, they ought to go for it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2010

jwreck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
I heard it was 3 out of 4 people agree with jwreck.
And 89.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Old 03-11-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
afraid

So tell me, how afraid are you of tripping and falling while walking down the street? I'll bet not very afraid at all. Why not? It's because you have been doing it from a very young age and when you were learning you fell quite often. So if you are afraid of sailing you should "LEARN HOW". Learn all there is about it and practice it all a lot. Then you can be far less afraid.

OBTW, one of my friends, who is about 40 years old, was walking down the sidewalk last week, tripped on a raised section and fell directly on her forehead. Fortunately no real damage except two very black eyes for several days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
OBTW, one of my friends, who is about 40 years old, was walking down the sidewalk last week, tripped on a raised section and fell directly on her forehead. Fortunately no real damage except two very black eyes for several days.
SEE!! I told you sailing was dangerous!!!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-12-2010

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreck View Post
And 89.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I read it on the internet so it must be true!

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 01-21-2011

NigelB is on a distinguished road
Live on the edge

Saw stats on suicide recently... 10.3% or over 30,000, (in 2001) mostly young white males. Get on a boat, on a gusty day, be aware and minimze the risks, come back wet, and glad that you didn't end up swimming... and although the risks are actually small, be glad that you are alive!!!
Old 01-21-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Saw stats on suicide recently... 10.3% or over 30,000, (in 2001) mostly young white males. Get on a boat, on a gusty day, be aware and minimze the risks, come back wet, and glad that you didn't end up swimming... and although the risks are actually small, be glad that you are alive!!!
+10000000 brother!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-22-2011

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
What I do think these statistics show is that in the cases where the fatalities DO occur, there are some trends that are counter to what we typically think and/or argue.
I don't think you can use those statistics to show that. If 9 out of 10 people die on calm waters, that'd lead you to believe that sailing in calm waters is more dangerous. But if 99 out of 100 people only ever boat in calm waters, then the statistics are showing you that you're much more likely to die when not on calm waters.

I've skydived for 10 years and on one of the most popular messaging sites for the sport there's an incidents forum where people post and talk about accidents that happen. It's the same with our sport's primary magazine, Parachutist. It has an incidents section.

It's VERY useful to read about those incidents and point them out. Most accidents are very predictable in skydiving and there's usually a chain of events leading up to an incident. The key to avoiding becoming a fatality is to break that chain of events and you can only do that if you're able to recognize and avoid them.

To people who've been sailing most of their lives I'd bet when they hear about an incident in sailing there's probably little surprise to them that something bad happened when they hear about the circumstances surrounding the event. Maybe a poor choice in choosing sailing conditions. Maybe a lack of proper ship maintenance. Maybe a lack of emergency preparedness. Maybe a lack of training or experience for the situation the person was in. Most likely multiple items in that list.

Talking about that stuff is very useful and I don't think it's fear mongering.
Old 01-22-2011

RocketScience is on a distinguished road
How afraid should we be of sailing? I would answer that with another question; How big is your ego?

I'm not saying that you will never ever be afraid when sailing, especially for the newbie, but for the most part, IMO, ego seams to be the drive mechanism for the stupid things we do, and this syndrome seams to be most prevalent in the male genome (I'm a male BTW, and speaking from experience ).

Many will head out regardless of, but not limited to:

- That "engine knock" they heard last time out.
- That "itsy-bitsy" tear in the jib.
- That main traveler that is "a bit loose".
- The weather forecast that will be "Just fine".
- "Nah, we don't need to reef just yet, this is FUN!"
- Etc., etc,. etc.......the list goes on.

Bottom line, leave your ego back on shore and only enter into circumstances that you are experienced and prepared for. If you do this, you will keep your "afraid" meter to a minimum.
Old 01-22-2011
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
You should be afraid, very afraid.............and stay out of all our favorite anchorages Actually only one time in my life I thought I was going to die and it was in the dinghy. Seems as though some ahole in a run about power boat thought it would be fun, if at full speed, to came within apx 25 ft of my wife, dog and I while we were trying to cross the Sassafras River in our dinghy. He had tons of room and clear visibility but apparently took exception to us crossing the river in front of him. Mind you he was well down the river when we started. The sneer on his face said it all. Unfortunately I never found his boat. Had a lot of other close calls but never felt that threatened at any other time. Sailing requires constant vigilence and if you do so IMO it's a safe past time.