How afraid should we be of sailing? I would answer that with another question; How big is your ego?
I'm not saying that you will never ever be afraid when sailing, especially for the newbie, but for the most part, IMO, ego seams to be the drive mechanism for the stupid
things we do, and this syndrome seams to be most prevalent in the male genome (I'm a male BTW, and speaking from experience
Many will head out regardless of, but not limited to:
- That "engine knock" they heard last time out.
- That "itsy-bitsy" tear in the jib.
- That main traveler that is "a bit loose".
- The weather forecast that will be "Just fine".
- "Nah, we don't need to reef just yet, this is FUN!"
- Etc., etc,. etc.......the list goes on.
Bottom line, leave your ego back on shore and only enter into circumstances that you are experienced and prepared for. If you do this, you will keep your "afraid" meter to a minimum.