Hawaii big island bareboat charter co??? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2010 Thread Starter

Hawaii big island bareboat charter co???

Anyone aware of a bareboat outfit based on the big island of Hawaii? Any leads would be appreciated!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

I've searched, but haven't had much luck finding a bareboat anywhere in the Hawaiian islands. I suspect it's because the cruising area is much more challenging than most yacht owners would be comfortable with. I wouldn't want to hand over my new half million dollar boat to a lake sailor like me and send him out into the kind of seas and winds that are a regular occurrence just offshore. Seems like it would be a good way to lose your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2010 Thread Starter

Yes, I think that is a very likely reason for the apparent lack of any charter companies. However, i'm hoping there is SOMETHING that could be found as I actually enjoy the kind of seas and wind that are found offshore there

It would be a shame if the only sailing one could do around the islands would be in a boat you brought in from 4000+ miles away
post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXeVeN View Post
Yes, I think that is a very likely reason for the apparent lack of any charter companies. However, i'm hoping there is SOMETHING that could be found as I actually enjoy the kind of seas and wind that are found offshore there

It would be a shame if the only sailing one could do around the islands would be in a boat you brought in from 4000+ miles away
US27 has hit the head of the nail. Not a shame at all. It's exactly what I plan on doing ........i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2010

shame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXeVeN View Post
That sounds like the majority of the fun...Then on to Fiji

My Cruising blog:

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2010
Courtney the Dancer

I've looked several times while on the big island and haven't found anything. There are a couple of boats that sail out of the harbor just north of Kailua (Honokahau?) but they are crewed charters ($$$). There is a sailing club based there, mostly smaller boats, that you might try contacting. Kona Sailing Club, I think that's the name.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #7 of 9 Old 02-02-2010

Hawaii Sailing, Hawaii Yacht Charter, Hawaii Sailing Charter, Sailing Hawaii

Never Forgotten

post #8 of 9 Old 02-02-2010

Hawaii is the Big Island, and the rest of the chain is called the Hawaiian Islands. Honolulu is on O'ahu, and quite a distance away.

You can no doubt get on a sailboat, but you being the captain? That I doubt very seriously. There is also a sailing club in Hilo. SkiprJohn from CF sails out of there. He might be able to point you in the right direction?.......i2f

20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

post #9 of 9 Old 02-02-2010
baDumbumbum

US27's post matches what others have said -- that it's just not a Disneyland cruising playground like the BVIs. The islands require serious local knowledge and would hammer inexperienced cruisers -- who, let's be honest, make up a fair percentage of the BVI charter economy. Might not even be possible for a charter company to get insurance. I hear Puerto Rico is the same way: tricky harbors, rough currents, and lack of a charter infrastructure.

OTOH, lots of people sail downhill to Hawaii and fly back to the States, unwilling to bash back home. Some buy a boat for the voyage, fit it out, and sell it once their dream is achieved. For not much more than the cost of a 2 week charter, you could buy a sailboat, cruise wherever you want for as long as you want, and put it up for sale when you leave. We could create a great revolving-ownership culture there, kind of like public-use bicycles in Amsterdam.

Some candidates HERE and HERE. Good luck!

Buccaneer18, Grainnia
SJ21, Diarmuid
Albin Ballad 30, Fionn

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.