SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cal 31 vs. Pearson 303

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CapnA 
#1 ·
considering both the Person 303 and the Cal 31 from the 1980's ...any wisdom about one over the other ??

#2 ·
Both decent boats of similar build quality. Friend has a Cal 31 and it has been a good boat. I like the lines of the Cal 31 better. The 303 always looked a bit chunky to me. And the Cal has a PHRF of 162 vs 186 for the Peason so the Cal is quite a bit faster. Never been below on a 303 so can't comment on the interiors.

#3 ·
Of course the Pearson is probably more cruise friendly than the Cal.

#4 ·
After years of owning a vintage Cal25, I looked at a Cal31 when it was time to buy a larger boat. I liked the 31. They are pretty quick, as reflected by their PHRF. The build quality is fairly good as well. Ultimately, I found a better deal on a C&C, but I still liked the Cal.

My Uncle owned a 303 for several years. Compared to the Cal31, it has a more comfortable layout below for cruising. However, the Cal is quicker. They both have similar build quality.

I suppose it comes down to two things: (1) if you are considering any kind of racing (beer can etc.), I would go with the Cal; (2) the price/condition of the specific boat for sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.