Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010

islands50 is on a distinguished road
Full or partial battens?

I am in the process of buying a new mainsail for cruising. Full or partial battens?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Had two sails with full and went back to top two full & the rest partial..

Personal choice really but I do prefer the tweak-ability with partials vs. full..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-08-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
I prefer full battens (additional roach, no flogging, easier reefing), but be aware you will probably have to buy cars, track, etc. in addition to just the sail.
chrisncate likes this.
Old 02-08-2010

sharedwatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Had two sails with full and went back to top two full & the rest partial..

Personal choice really but I do prefer the tweak-ability with partials vs. full..

.......same here. The top batten can support the extra roach and with partials towards the bottom you can shape your sail better in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Watch out for the extra roach as when you get just enough to hang on the backstay it becomes a PITA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-08-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
I hope no one minds me piggybacking this thread with a related question..

As an owner of a 30' x 17' one-off amateur built cruising catamaran I've become accustomed to finding solutions through experiments and settling for less than perfect outcomes. I've been pretty lucky for the most part, rarely having to re-work a part or a system. Everything functions well enough now but improving certain things would have a measurable payoff. Overall, the boat is a bit rough and does not merit a brand new mainsail.

Currently I have a masthead rig and a pin top mainsail. When I fly the self-tacking jib the weather helm is non-existent to oh so slight. When I fly the 130 Genoa the lee helm is equally, if not a bit more than, slight. This leads me to believe I could replace the current pin top with a square top, move the CE a bit aft and gain more power in the process.

A typical full-battened main is cut to suit some pre-bend in the mast, yet my masthead rig has no pre-bend at all. As such, I'm thinking of buying a used too-tall pin top, cutting it down, and adding just one or two full battens. With just two battens hopefully I can forego battcars etc. Is this approach completely ridiculous?
Old 02-08-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I think there may be more shaping possibilities with battens that are commonly known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharedwatch View Post
.......same here. The top batten can support the extra roach and with partials towards the bottom you can shape your sail better in my opinion.
Many classes that use full battens are raced extensivly, and they have certainly learned all of the tricks. When you see full battens on and AC boat, we can say that they are slow.

Tapering to match the sail is one trick. Sail Delmarva: Search results for battens. It is easily done, but most sailmakers don't do it because it takes time and is best done after the sail is delivered and set. The leach was sagging 6" to leeward before; it was hard to look at. Without full battens it was a throw-away.

Full batten sails:
* cost more
* flog MUCH less
* catch on back stays
* generaly hold shape better
* chafe more, but only on the batten pockets, which can have guards added
* set better in the absense of heel
* generaly last longer
* are heavier
* don't tweek as easily in light air
* don't flop as much in light air
* are easier to flake
* are harder to store
* have unique hoisting problems (batten friction) when over ~55' luff

Thus, they suit cats very well. Monohulls I cannot speak to. A compromise (a few full battens) seems rational.

That batten taper subject remains valid.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 02-08-2010
Tartan T30

Talyn is on a distinguished road
battenless sails for cruising

Personal preference is no battens, period.

Especially for cruising, you want to keep cost and maintenance down as much as possible.
Any sail loft will show you the mountains of sails waiting to be repaired because the batten pockets have chafed through.

Performance wise, you're not loosing a significant enough portion of your sail area to be noticeable.. you might loose from 1/10th to 1/3 of a knot...

Another advantage is that a battenless main will always come down, which brings me to a small point only slightly off topic: particularly for short-handed cruising you want to be able to strike sail area in a hurry with no fuss.

cruising main with 3 reef points with properly reinforced clews, tacks, and reefs + a small (1/4" even) downhaul line spliced to your halyard.
with a preset slab reefing system you can bring down sail alone no problem in 3 quick moves and no battens will catch on shrouds, stays, or spreaders.
Old 02-08-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
You will get better performance and longer sail life with full battens. Chafe at the pockets are from battens being installed too tight.
Old 02-08-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Personal preference is no battens, period.

Especially for cruising, you want to keep cost and maintenance down as much as possible.
Any sail loft will show you the mountains of sails waiting to be repaired because the batten pockets have chafed through.

Performance wise, you're not loosing a significant enough portion of your sail area to be noticeable.. you might loose from 1/10th to 1/3 of a knot...

Another advantage is that a battenless main will always come down, which brings me to a small point only slightly off topic: particularly for short-handed cruising you want to be able to strike sail area in a hurry with no fuss.

cruising main with 3 reef points with properly reinforced clews, tacks, and reefs + a small (1/4" even) downhaul line spliced to your halyard.
with a preset slab reefing system you can bring down sail alone no problem in 3 quick moves and no battens will catch on shrouds, stays, or spreaders.

With due respect, you need to talk to a sailmaker to get things straightened out. There are a number of very good reasons for battens in mains. I don't have time to go into detail at the moment, but maybe others will have time.

(Battened mains, in my experience, have always come down without a problem. For short handing, sail handling systems, i.e., lazy jacks, etc... address the more critical issues as boat size and wind velocities increase.)