Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010

Walterd is on a distinguished road
Sailing Auckland

I have C&C 30 mark ll in NS. I will be in Auckland from Mar 26 until Apr 13. I am looking for a sailing connection there. My e-mail to Ponsonby Crusing Club keeps bouncing back. Anyone out there with suggestions or a connetion that you can pass on. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2010

Grinna is on a distinguished road
hey there

I'm in Auckland so may be able to assist, but I'm unsure of what you're actually trying to find out.

Do you want to know about crew availability, upcoming races, cruising or sailing destinations, provisioning, boat services?

Askign questions on a NZ based sailing forum like crew.org.nz may produce more answers
Old 02-08-2010

I will be almost 65 when I get my boat off the hard in May when the ice leave the Cove in Nova Scotia. I spent over 60 days on my boat last summer so you might say I love being on the water sailing. I would like to sail with someone vs an harbour tour. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I am not looking for a freebee but I would like to sail where ever the wind is going in the habour or on Haurake Gulf. I will be happy with any sailing I can get. I will be alone. I can day sail or overnight. Last summer I had a couple from you area on my boat for a day sail. They don't own a boat but they will be picking me up at the airport. I had a couple from Ontario for a five day sail last summer. We started as strangers and now are friends. I am a self taught sailor and I have been on the water all my life. This is my third and last boat. I started in dories in Newfoundland went up to a 17 footer, then a 26 Tanzer and now my 30 footer. I enjoy sailing on any size boat. I might even be an assist at the Wed nite races at Ponsonby.
I hope to hear from you.
Walter Diamond
Old 02-08-2010

Grinna is on a distinguished road
OK, well there are afternoon harbour races (called rum races) on Wednesdays and on Fridays and I'm fairly confident that you could find a spot on a boat for at least one or two races. Rum races happen throughout the year.

On weekends there is generally harbour racing of some sort going on and crew can be a problem for some boats, but weekend racing tends to be more serious than the rum racing.

Its our summer at the moment so there are longer races and passage races going on, once again you may be able to pick up a crew spot.

Failing that, there are various boat owners who zip off for a weekend on the harbour or the Hauraki Gulf and I'm sure some of them may wish to have new people along. You could try posting on the Island Cruising Association website (a NZ association of cruisers) or on Crew.org.nz (a NZ sailing forum much like this one, though slightly more irreverant). You can try yacht clubs like Ponsonby Cruising Club as you've indicated. Try emailing info@pcc.org.nz.

We try to slip out on our boat as often as we can, but its often at short notice when we can make enough time amongst all the other stuff we have to do.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Old 02-08-2010

AHD is on a distinguished road
Walter ? I'll be 60 in the same month. Not sure what your ultimate destination may be (a long day so I may have misread your blog) However I have a 43'Cutter Rigged Kaufman 43 that the 1st owner used for a solo circumnavigation. Hull recently completely rebuilt. I'm considering a passage near the mid spring that could go as far as New Zealand. please advise if that may be of interest. AHD
Old 02-08-2010

I should have told you I'm better on my boat them my computer. My e-mails to Ponsonby Crusing keep bouncing back. I had to get help to get this far on this thing. It is 8:15 pm here now. Would mind if I reread you mail and put together a message with all my questions. What would be a good time tomorrow.
Walter
Old 02-08-2010

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
Rum races at Ponsonby YC are on Thursdays.
Old 02-09-2010

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
crew.org.nz - the online home of New Zealand sailing is probably your best bet. You have to choose a name and password then put a message in the crew section.
It should be easy enough to get a sail on harbour racing. Day cruising is better- beyond that depends ..... Would need to know exactly when you are here, and where. Maybe you can get a prepaid sim card for a cellphone when you arrive so you are contactable. I might be able to assist but will be out off and on.
Old 02-09-2010

sailing

Hi Chris_gee
Thanks I will be arriving in Auckland on Mar26 08:10 am and will be leaving on Apr 13. I had a couple from Helenville on my boat last summer. They don't have a boat but will be picking me up at the airport. I new to sailnet and stumbling my way alone. I will follow your sugestion re crew---. I have been attempting to contact Ponsonby via e-mail but it keeps bouncing back. Hope to see you.
Walter
Old 02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinna View Post
OK, well there are afternoon harbour races (called rum races) on Wednesdays and on Fridays and I'm fairly confident that you could find a spot on a boat for at least one or two races. Rum races happen throughout the year.

On weekends there is generally harbour racing of some sort going on and crew can be a problem for some boats, but weekend racing tends to be more serious than the rum racing.

Its our summer at the moment so there are longer races and passage races going on, once again you may be able to pick up a crew spot.

Failing that, there are various boat owners who zip off for a weekend on the harbour or the Hauraki Gulf and I'm sure some of them may wish to have new people along. You could try posting on the Island Cruising Association website (a NZ association of cruisers) or on Crew.org.nz (a NZ sailing forum much like this one, though slightly more irreverant). You can try yacht clubs like Ponsonby Cruising Club as you've indicated. Try emailing info@pcc.org.nz.

We try to slip out on our boat as often as we can, but its often at short notice when we can make enough time amongst all the other stuff we have to do.

Let me know if I can help you further.
Hi Grinna
I have a 9 yr old grand daughter who knows more about a computor then I do. I will put it this way were we blogging last night/morning. After typed my essage,I hit reply. When I went back to my thread(?) someone else was there. I wasn't being rude I just lost in the computor world sailing i so much easer. If this reaches you let me know because I know you can help me on my dream voyage. Thanks in advance.
Walter