Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010

akin_alan is on a distinguished road
Remote Spotlight on the masthead.

How hard do you think it would be to mount a remote controled spotlight on the masthead? Might come in handy for working on deck at night. What about, somehow, programing it to rotate 360 degrees pointed at the horizon every five minutes. Would work pretty good for anticollision ehh?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Sounds too complicated. Why don't you just get a down light for your mast from any of the marine stores?, The down light floods the deck with light for working at night.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 02-09-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Be a good idea to mount a remote controlled, gimballed video cam up there next to it. Feed it to a 50" plasma flat screen mounted under the dodger. No more struggling to see past the genoa.
Old 02-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Spreader lights serve the same purpose for working on deck, and are far less expensive and less weight aloft.

As for a rotating white light... most spotlights won't revolve more than once without running into serious problems with the internal wiring. A masthead strobe would be a better idea...and lighter and less expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-10-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I've been thinking about both a rotating spotlight as well as a video camera on the lower spreaders. We're getting a little old for climbing the mast to check bommies/coral heads when we go up to the islands. I reckon an installation up there would be pretty useful.

The rotating lights I've looked at only rotate through 350 degrees so there is no chance of complications with the wiring. It would be a dumb design that just goes round and round.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-10-2010

sigmasailor is on a distinguished road
Good idea, the more technical stuff you ad to the boat the more fun you will have fixing them when they break down.
Old 02-10-2010
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Very Very Bad idea, the nav lights on your boat identify its type and size to other vessels in the vicinity. I could only imagine the thoughts going through the other skippers mind as he sees your rotating white light and starts doubting his charts/gps/and compass looking for the headland with the light house on the horizon. If you want to be seen and safe, keep a good watch, have good quality nav lights not some low wattage faded plastic crap. I would recommend ORC Green Tech LEDs best I have ever owned.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 02-10-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Attracting planes and helicopters to land near you with a rotating aero beacon sounds wonderful. If you just mount a spotlight, (so you can shine it on buoys or other boats?) you will need a joystick to adjust the direction, because every time the boat hits a 6" wave, the mast will be moving about three feet, moving the arc of the light about 500'. How many crew do you plan to have aboard? Keeping it shining on the selected target will keep one crew fully occupied. Complaining that they need to aim better will divert another person, full-time. Keeping someone below so their night vision isn't ruined by bright lights, plus having someone at the helm, all adds up to needing at least four people on duty whenever you use the thing. If you only plan to shine it at your own deck, the shadows created with your sails up will create problems (see: complaining about aim). As others have mentioned, it adds weight and complications aloft, where you don't want them. Sails down, it will inevitably shine into the helmsman's eyes. Bright lights on your deck enable you to see your lines and fittings, but make it harder to see into the dark, where you might want to avoid a bulkhead 20' dead ahead. If you must light the midships deck, fixed spreader lights or a fixed spot somewhere on the backstay where it won't chafe the leech would work better. We sail considerably at night and find that no lights, flashlights, or individual headlamps work quite effectively. Our experience indicates that bright deck lights are more of a problem than a solution.
Old 02-10-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
In "Good Old Boat" magazine, There was an article about mounting a remote light on the bow pulpit forward of the stay. The owner had shaped a piece of marine plywood to fit the bow pulpit with clips and mounted the light on it.
The clips allowed the light to be removed for open waters and remounted when they are in the calmer waters of a harbor. It was a well done article.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 02-12-2010

XTR is on a distinguished road
One night on a mooring in Sopers Hole some really big loud motor-sailor yacht anchored behind us and was shining a remote on the boats in the anchorage.

First I was sad that I couldn't have firearms in BVI, it would have been an easy shot with a .22 and nobody would have noticed.

Second, I was considering diving their anchor and seeing how well it was attached.

I chose Option 3 and had another couple of Pain Killers and figured fak it, it's only one night.