Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003

sadie14 is on a distinguished road
It''''s Raining Inside My Boat

It''s raining inside my boat under the side decks. There is no insulation.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2003
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

don your foul weather gear!
Old 02-05-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

I think we need a little more detail. Does this happen under sail when heeled? Is it leakage during rain? Is it condensation?

Old 02-05-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road

You can insulate, you can make the inside and outside temperature the same or you can dehumidify. There is no other way. As a liveaboard in cold weather, I''ve tried it all. If you have dockside power and room, buy a dehumidifier. Otherwise stock up on sponges
Old 02-05-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy sadie 14 , Tis quite an embarrasing position to be in . I suspect ye have rolled yer vessel and pee could be running down your leg?No just kidding. Whats your temp and humidity? Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-06-2003

sadie14 is on a distinguished road

Big Red, I''m not far from you - in Sarasota. It''s condensation when the temperature outside drops to a certain level (not sure of exact number). We live aboard, and this is the worst winter yet. The underdeck has a diamond pattern vinyl stuck to the fiberglass. Looks nice, but helps mildew stick. Need to put something over it, but not at all sure what. TIA
Old 02-08-2003

peterpan2k is on a distinguished road

Argh Sadie
tis sad but true fer a glass boat. never had had the problem in these here parts. Sunny Southern California but me rigs wodden thru and thru. Just have those blasted termites chewin away on her.
Hopen fer warmer days fer ya here on me Never,Never,Land.
Jim
Old 02-09-2003

kestrel268 is on a distinguished road

If your using propane for heat..lot''s of condensation...I lived aboard in Halifax, NS for a few winters...no shore power...but used Kerosene Htr..with tank "under" used it till moved to warmer climes...ventillation and insulation if lot''s of heat aren''t the prerequisites...good luck..dh
Old 02-09-2003

kestrel268 is on a distinguished road

Dear PP...can I have some of whatever you smokin'' ?
Old 02-09-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

Good on ya, Panda Man! Me own little ship''s termite and worm food as well! But I did own and live aboard a petrified snot boat for a few years too, year round right here in New England!

Many a cold morn, I''d wake up to icicles hanging from the overhead and the top of my sleeping bag covered with ice! The poor ole'' force 10 was roaring away for all she was worth but was really only able to best the outside temperature by 25-30 degrees or so. That wasn''t cutting it on those sub 0 nights! Still, it wasn''t enough to make me think about leaving the lifestyle that I loved! Not for one second!

I finally cured the problem though! I sold that boat and bought the bigger wooden walled beasty I own now. She was heated with a FATSCO “Buddy” coal stove. No more ice in the overhead for me!

One friend if mine took the problem in a different direction, without selling his beloved. We rough and tumble guys took a walk into a Jo-Ann’s Fabric store. Feeling completely out of place amongst all of those ladies lookin’ at frilly lace and stuff, we walked out carrying a bundle of white naugahide vinal material with a fuzzy backing. A stop at the Home Depot for a coupy cans o’ spray adhesive, and we were ready to go to work.

After cutting out the patterns of the material we’d need, and seaming the edges, we washed the overhead and cabin sides, gave it all a light hand sanding and re-washed with acetone. We taped off the area, hung old newspapers around and coated the area with the adhesive. We laid out the naugahide and sprayed a light coat of adhesive on the fizzy side. After the glue had set, we carefully pressed the pieces in place.

Later on, he trimmed the edges out and made fake deck beams with thin strips of mahogany and some short screws to better hold the stuff in place. The job seams to be working and holding up well.

Although I’m not sure of the process he used, another friend took care of his condensation problem by putting a wooden ceiling and overhead in his boat with commercially available unfinished cedar strips. These are held in place, like the naugahide stuff above, with a glue, fake deck beams and short screws.

Both jobs really dressed up those boats and gave them a nice nautical finish below. Hanging about on the boat with the wood finish, with a cup of hot coffee, some sailing music in the background the glow of the oil lamps reflecting off of the luster of the wood! I’ll tell ya, makes me feel right at home!

Pi