Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake to Tampa Bay

There's a chance that I'll be moving in April from Norfolk to the Tampa Bay area in April, and with all of the other logistical questions to consider I need to figure out how to get the boat (1987 Catalina 36) down there. Most of my questions pertain to the Mid-Atlantic coast.

I'm set on sailing it down myself, and I have a general idea of how I would like to do it; but I saw a similar thread that made me think getting some advice from everyone here may not be a bad idea.

Time isn't too much of a concern as I should have just under a month at my disposal. Would it be best to hop down the coast on relatively short 1-2 day runs, or is it best to head offshore for a longer period of time?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
When you you be making this passage?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-15-2010
Old as Dirt!

As a follow up to the foregoing, we moved our First 42 from Annapolis to Tampa Bay several years ago. After looking at the time and running out the prospective costs, we decided to ship the boat as the cost was about the same as what we estimated we would spend on the trip. We used A&B Marine out of Burt Jabin's yard on Back Creek. They did an excellant job of preping the boat for transit and getting her here in only 2-1/2 days (a Wednesday AM to Friday afternoon). WHile I would have liked to have made the trip for the adventure of it, as a practical matter, trucking was a much wiser decision, at least for us.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-15-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I make my trips up and down the coast (Beaufort Inlet to Miami) in overnight hops. Going up the west coast, you have one overnight,then you can do daysails up to Tampa Bay. Weather is the biggest consideration.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2010

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
When we moved our boat from Marion Mass to Freeport, Texas, we did it offshore with one stopover. The only time we put into port was on the east coast of Florida, next stop was Freeport TX. Coastal hopping just didn't fit our plans and would have taken forever. However, don't try it all offshore unless you are an acomplished bluewater sailor and love open water - that's a long time at sea if you're not used to long voyages.
With that said, HyLyte is right, give serious consideration to shipping the boat. If I had it to do over again, I'd ship the boat.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 02-15-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
As stated above I also feel that weather is everything. I try to make jumps outside to avoid traffic and bridges but stay in the ditch if it is not perfect outside. It seems to be a day to day decision. Do you plan to cut across the Okeechobee? Will your mast height allow that? Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 02-15-2010

Thanks for the replies so far.Hylyte- I'll be doing this around mid-April. Shipping the boat would definitely take some of the logistical variables out of the equation, but a big part of this for me is the voyage. Not to mention I don't think I could justify $10k-$15k (gross estimate) for shipping a $40,000 boat.

I agree with the weather is everything mentality which leads me toward making this in smaller 1-2 day hops. The good news is time is on my side so I can wait out bad weather.
Old 02-15-2010
Old as Dirt!

Creedence--

Our total charge for decommissioning and shipping from Jabin's Boat Yard on Back Creek to Snead Island Boat Works on the Manatee River in South Tampa Bay came to $4,285.74. That was just a tad more than we estimated but quite a bit less than we figure we would have spent on the trip. Our contacts at A&B Yachtsman were David Spokely & Bob Geissler. You might also contact the boys at Catalina here in Largo as, if they are shipping any boats up to the Annapolis area, you might be able to pick up a cheap ride on the back haul. Of course, your yacht is certainly up to the trip down, but if time is not on your side...

FYIW...

PS: Have you decided on where to moor the yacht?

Last edited by svHyLyte; 02-15-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

FYIW...

PS: Have you decided on where to moor the yacht?
I've been talking to a couple yacht clubs and marinas in St Pete/Largo/Clearwater. Do you have any thoughts? I'm pretty open at this point.
Old 02-15-2010
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
I'd Motor Sail it. From Norfolk the Elizabeth River, Dismal Swamp Canal and Alligator-Pungo Canal will keep you out of the worst wind. North end of Albermarle sound is pretty shallow as is Core Sound. Once you get to Beaufort there are plenty of inlets to choose from. If you have less than 49' bridge clearance go through the Okeechobee. Sometimes you can sail across the lake. (two out of my three times were windless)Then going north you can use Pine Island Sound (motoring) or go outside to Charlotte harbor. Two years ago Redfish Pass was a little further north than the chart showed.
At Charlotte Harbor (Boca Grande Inlet) you again can choose. ditch or Gulf. Big Sarasota Pass New Pass, or Venice Inlet are all pretty decent. Lots of bridges and traffic inside. Going through Peck Lake, Hobe Sound, Biscayne Bay, Florida Bay, and up the Southwest Coast or through Key Largo (Channel #5), Marathon (Seven Mile Bridge, Moser Channel) Or around Key West are also practical if longer.
They are all good easy trips and you can sleep inside every night if you want.

If you have time the John Pennekamp State Park is pretty nice, inexpensive, and you can resupply there. (No fuel handy though.