Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
My family had the good luck to benefit from someone in your position. We got to use the boat so long as we maintained it properly (varnish, bottom paint, etc.) The owner checked up to make sure things were taken care of while he sailed his main boat. The deal worked for about five or six years, until the owner's children were old enough to take it over. The boat, an H-28, still sails out of our harbor. All you have to do is find someone YOU think knows how to sail, and who's willing to put in some effort (or $) on upkeep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2010
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
Four;
15 ft Grunnion (old one design, planing hull, self rescuing) trailer
17 ft Wide Grumman aluminum canoe with sail rig. car topper
22 ft Seafarer fin keel classic cruiser on trailer
29 ft Seafarer swing keel classic cruiser in slip.

Once they are in good shape I find that the upkeep is minimal and greatly dependent on the amount of use. I usually plan do most of it while I am waiting for weather. For instance I rebeded the portlights while waiting in Charlotte Harbor during a break in a two month cruise. Some fancy cleaning up was done near Everglades City on another trip.
Old 02-16-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
9, including inflatables and canoes. 3 are sailboats, two on trailers, open daysailors. Two big boats would be too much. But several of mine are rarely used and under cover. If you love them both, just cover one in the yard.
Old 02-16-2010

14432 is on a distinguished road
  • Lightning
  • Sunfish
  • Rowing pram
  • 17' center console
Just sold an Opti

Looking for an MC Scow "fixer upper" near North Carolina if you have or know of one.
Old 02-16-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
In addition to our big boat, we also have a 12' Escape Rumba (named "Rumbaba") that I picked up for my teenaged daughter after she learned to sail a Laser during a 5-week cruise from St. Martin to Trinadad the summer before last. I bought it used from a near-by hotel that decided to get rid of the boats after they got sick of having to chase down missing guests!. It has a furling main that allows one to reef or adjust the size of the sail for the conditions and a Hoyt style boom. The boat goes like heck in any wind and is a hoot to sail off the beach in front of our club (and is unsinkable). Great for kids and old guys that wish they were still young. (We use our dinghy as a "chase boat".)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-16-2010

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I have a 20' Santana and an AMF catamaran. I thought I would use both. The Cat used to be on a small lake by my house and the other on the a bigger lake farther from my house. I figured I coud use the cat after work or when I couldnt get away for the weekend. Turns out it was an impracticle idea. I will probably sell the cat this spring when I get some free time.
Old 02-16-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
I had a Sunfish when I bought my Oday 23. I was not surprised to find that I didn't have time to sail either of them as much as I would have liked, so I sold the Sunny the next summer. I still don't have enough time.
Old 02-16-2010
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
ummmm yeah one too many...the littler one is for sale!

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 02-16-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

After sinking 3K into my old jet boat big block and getting 20 hours out of it I came back to sailing.

In 2007 I bought a 16' 1981 Hobie. Actually my Wife found it for me. I taught her that high grass around things is sometimes a "For Sale" sign. The boat had very little use but needed a tramp, running, and standing rigging. $500 for the boat, another $1000 in goodies and upgrades...Fine boat. Oh yeah, the sails are original and crisp!

Last year after taking ASA courses in Abaco I had the boat bug bad. I wanted something to cruise the upper-mid Chesapeake on. Bringing the Wife into this slowly I wanted a smaller trailerable boat, fairly new, and in good shape. I KNOW I'm getting a larger boat one day but our 1993 Macgregor 26 swing keel sure fits the bill for now. We have so much fun on that thing! Right now it's under a few feet of snow in the back yard on it's trailer. Somewhat depressing. However in no time at all we'll be launching and putting to slip our "Nauti Time" and be running out of Rock Creek again!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by swampcreek; 02-16-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2010

aerie is on a distinguished road
two boat owner by choice

I have a Beneteau 42CC in the Caribbean and a C&C 33 on the Great Lakes. If you count dinghies and kayaks my fleet consists of six boats. It works for me to have the boats in different cruising grounds and I use them in different seasons. Hurricane season in the Caribbean is perfect cruising weather on the Great Lakes. I usually launch in June and haul out in October before the Annapolis Boat Show, then I head to the Caribbean the end of October. The Caribbean boat is managed by Tortola Marine Management so I know she is well taken care of when I'm not there and she will be ready for me to use when I get there. She is chartered when I'm not using her so it helps to offset the cost of ownership. I have friends who leave their boats in the Caribbean under private management and they do not charter the boat. It all boils down to how much do you want to spend?